1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Lost main board connection?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Michael hineman, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Michael hineman

What is this? I can start a print and then get this. Everything works fine I see not reason for this error. I start again and then everything is ok. I am thinking this has something to do with the USB. but i have no idea.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Make sure you print bed is well seated on the four acorn screws and doesn't rock. also make sure that all you pogo pins are in working order if you have a version 1 heated bed.

Geof likes this.
  3. Michael hineman

This is not the lost bed connection. This is something different that I believe is related to the usb drive. My robo usb died only after about 7 days and I started using a different one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

It could be a bad image on the µSD card, did you back it up anywhere?

5. Michael hineman

Yes and reloaded it. See if happens anymore.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I really wish backing up the µSD card was part of the setup instructions. It would solve a bunch of issues.

7. Michael hineman

Yes I backed it up but still can not get the firmware to update.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am not sure there was a firmware update to the printer, besides if the printer firmware has already updated once it won't do it again. The µSD does not contain printer firmware, it runs RoboOS and that is currently at 1.8.1-r2.1

9. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

What exactly are you doing when it fails.

10. Michael hineman

Just printing and it dies. So far so good. I am in about a 3 hour print and it is doing good.

11. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

What kind of print, at what temperatures, does it stop while preheating or while printing, how do the temp graphs look when it fails, etc...

12. Michael hineman

Printing PLA, temp 200, bed 50, happened while printing 2 twice, It has not happened again. I believe it had to do with the usb drive.

13. Michael hineman

I still am having these issues. They are more often now, every time I try and print. I happens regardless if printing from memory or USB. I have checked all connections. It could be faulty SD? I still am not able to boot unless I reflash the sd card. I am now not even able to do that. So very possible it is the SD card? Anyone have any Ideas? Waiting to hear back from Robo Support.[​IMG][​IMG]

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Unfortunately you are at a very early version of RoboLCD plugin that gives you the LCD interface. It is one component of RoboOS that comprises the entire software suite that runs the printer. At some point, regardless of the fact that your printer tells you that no update is available, the update process failed. Whether or not that is due to a software glitch or a bad µSD is unknown. There is not much the community can tell you until that anomaly is corrected.

#14 WheresWaldo, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You need to reach out to Robo directly (phone is best) and get them to send you a new uSD card with your printer image on it (and current RoboOS as well). That will be a huge start.

16. Michael hineman

Unfortunately I guess with the holidays that leaves me kinda high and dry. The only thing I got from support was to check the cable connections. I have re-seated every cable on both the pi and main board checked the cable connection on the extruder and still same error. Plus every time it errors I have to cycle power and re-flash the SD card. I am ready to return this thing. It has been one problem after another. I literally have 2x the time in repairing this thing or troubleshooting it than running plastic. I am very frustrated. I have received nothing from support. The door was broken, the z axis limit switch was broken, the z axis ballscrew was/is bent, the Robo USB drive failed, the SD card failed, the image on the SD card is faulty, Then the this issue with the main board losing connection. I have worked in automobile manufacturing maintenance most of my adult life and this type of quality is horrible. I only hope that my experience is an outlier else this company will not be afloat long. I did find that my RoboLCD is version 1.6 and that 1.10 is what everyone else has according to the release notes. I found a post from you Mark with a link to a n R2 sd card image I am going to try. I believe that the issue I have is software related.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The error you posted originally (lost mainboard connection) is either the actual mainboard or sometimes the bed heater (connections to it not working). The error is not very illuminating.It is unlikely to be software, but you can try the other version (it is likely to be even older, but you should be able to update it).

You should get this returned (and possibly replaced) ASAP. Everyone deserves a working printer and the C2/R2 have a lot less in terms of user servicable bits.

18. Michael hineman

OK! I found this issue. I downloaded the SD card image located here
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_cJvRC01dTYTFF5V0wzWF9oMFU?usp=sharing
    and all the screens I was looking for are there and guess what the failure I was getting "Main Board Disconnection" actually changed and it gave details as to the fault.....The bed heater was not coming on. I have seen the bed disconnected fault when you remove the bed and the fault I was getting "Main Board Disconnection fault led be to believe it was more. I removed the bed and inspected closely and found that the two (bed -) Pogo pins springs are shot. So now how do I fix them? any ideas?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You have to call Robo for a replacement bed connection -- you want to get rid of the PoGo pins entirely :)
    They have a v2 bed rig that eliminates them. As a short-term fix (assuming they are restocking or something) you should get a new pogo pin board.

20. Michael hineman

You were all over it......I appreciate your help. Do you work for Robo? you should if not.