1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Lost main board connection?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Michael hineman, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Michael hineman

is there anything I can do til I get a new pogo pin board or r2 bed. It would be nice to print something today. Is it possible to replace the springs?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

None of the people who moderate the boards are Robo employees, we have just shown a willing attitude to help @mark tomlinson has been here the longest and his knowledge is vastly wider than @Geof or myself, going all the way back to the R1 Beta. We are not tech support but can occasionally hit the broadside of a barn with our deductions.

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Unfortunately there is little that can be done to replace or repair the actual pogo connector short of replacing the entire board.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This is a sad, but true statement. I have gone so far as to try and source pogo pins from China and match them, but no luck finding exact matches yet. Even then you would have to break out a soldering iron and that is unacceptable for a new printer (under warranty).

supercazzola likes this.
  5. Michael hineman

I soldered the two pins in place and I am printing again. I hope to hear back from support soon. I really appreciate this community and the help and advise you give. It helped me alot!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Heh, if you are willing to break out the iron and have at it -- you are totally in the right place :)

Michael hineman likes this.
  7. Michael hineman

Hey since I soldered the pins. I cant get bed temperature 90 or above. Is this due to soldering of the pins 0r the pins being damaged? It also is so slow to heat the bed, like 4-5 minutes. Before everything quit working the bed heated to 100 and was rather quick in reaching that temperature.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good question, I will defer that to one of the R2 users (@Geof or @WheresWaldo perhaps) but either is a real possibility.
    The entire pogo pin design is less than optimal. Looks good on paper :)

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd imagine the damaged board is causing your issues. my bed is slow in general IMO. I think the pogo board puts ...unnecessary..,. Resistance in the circuit and likely soldering the pins is adding more. Have you got a warranty part on the way ?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Pretty much as @Geof says, the connectors appear to be undersized for the maximum current draw, that and the fact that Robo generally specifies low rated heaters combined make the R2 a slow heating printer in general.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  11. Michael hineman

Well before it quit completely the bed heat up really fast. It was at temperature shortly after the leveling sequence.

Geof likes this.
  12. Michael hineman

No I have not gotten a chance to speak with anyone from support. I will call tomorrow for sure. I'd say no one home on the holidays.

Geof likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That is abnormal behavior :) at least with the r2 pogo board. A good one anyway lol and yes they would be out of office but yes get them on the phone asap to replace your part.

14. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

did you measure the resistance across the heating element ?
    if so, what is it ?