1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Adding another fan for Ramps

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Taylor, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Taylor

Taylor Member

So ive been using my printers like crazy and sometimes hours on end. Everything has been great but I want to make sure there wont be any problems,So I ordered a 60MM fan to blow on the RAMPS to keep it nice and cool. I plan on taking the fan that came with the R1 and reverse the flow so its actual blowing the air out of the printer while the 60 MM fan is blowing air on the RAMPS itself. How can I wire the 60 MM fan in? Can I just splice the 60MM fan with the existing fan on the Robo?

I have the latest R1 with auto level

Thanks for any help!

2. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

That's what I did, been working great so far. Just tap into one of the 12v rails that runs the printer. Your Blue LED will be wired into the rail I'm talking about, grey/black is ground red/blue is 12v.

3. Taylor

Taylor Member

Funny you responded! I got the video from your video! lol

How did you secure the fan in place?

Also for your second cooling fan for the extruder,how did you wire that up? (Fan that cools the PLA)

BTW im using your fan shroud ;)

4. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

Side note, you may want to print some feet, such as those for the xxl lcd, so that you are sitting higher from the table top to increase your ability to draw air using the larger fan.

Taylor likes this.
  5. Taylor

Taylor Member

Thanks for the tip,I already am since I have the XXL screen.

6. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

I used 3M mounting tape, I was going to print a fan holder, but I got lazy.

I used the existing connector that was with the heater cartage and solder two cables going to the fans insulated with heat shrink tubing.

like so...
    Optimized-IMG_5177.JPG Optimized-IMG_5183.JPG

Taylor likes this.
  7. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

8. Taylor

Taylor Member

How do you like that fan? I thought about buying it but didnt know if it was worth the extra money.

9. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Noctua are the best. I have some 40mm Noctua fans to replace the hotend and print cooling fans as well, but haven't installed them yet. I've also used Noctua CPU coolers and fans for PCs, so quiet and extremely good. They're worth their cost.

10. Thomas E. Foss

Thomas E. Foss New Member

Question: You tapped into one of the 12V lines, but they are 5 amp and 11 amp supplies. The fan is probably a quarter of an amp, did you add current limiting resistors in there to prevent a fire? Or is it just working? I made the mistake of shorting out the two pins to the bottom panel fan and now it does not supply any power to the fan so I am looking at alternative fan power sources... Doh!!

11. Thomas E. Foss

Thomas E. Foss New Member

Also, do you know the M command to drive that fan? I may just need to reset it. Thanks!