1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Anyone ever seen this?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by hjls3, Feb 11, 2016.

1. hjls3

hjls3 New Member

IMG_4791.jpg IMG_4792.jpg First post - love my Robo - been using it quite a bit over the last month. Yesterday did a few prints. Last one was a short 2 hour print - parts printed fine. After print, went todo my normal cleaning of bed and noticed part of bed appears to be melted (appears, not saying actually is)

I left it be and this am was going to fire up printer and do test print, of course not on top of this, want to make sure everything else working before i try and figure out what todo about bed.

Heres some iPhone pics - anyone seen this? thank you - John

IMG_4790.jpg IMG_4791.jpg

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

hjls3 likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, under warranty you should ping Robo. That is a chip in the glass.
    Aggressively stuck prints or aggressive removal techniques :) can contribute to this, but sometimes it just happens regardless.

I have one chip on one bed (not near the normal print area) and none, yet, on the other.

hjls3 likes this.
  4. hjls3

hjls3 New Member

thanks guys - i am currently doing another print - was worried something else up too - guess my nature :) - anyways all else good and I'm sure ROBO will take good care of me - for now glad this spot isn't in a "high traffic area" and can work around it - at least to finish some projects today - cheers

Mike Kelly likes this.
  5. usafitz

usafitz Member

Robo3d offered the bed to me at $45+shipping because they can't warranty the part. But that's half price so it was a good deal.

hjls3 likes this.
  6. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

I literally just found two chips in mine as well less than 1/2 hour ago while cleaning the bed for another print. It looks more like the nozzle melted the glass or ground it somehow it than a chip. Can the glass be ground or melted like that by the nozzle? I did go ahead and report it to Robo. They are going to put me on a no-fly list soon with all the parts requests I've sent in this week, sigh...

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

It is borosilicate glass, won't melt from any heat the nozzle could possibly deliver.

8. TylerJ

TylerJ New Member

I recently got a tiny hairline spot after using PETG the first time (ext 245c / bed 80c). I went on to print many more prints using PETG without a problem. The first print I switched back to PLA+, this happened:
    20160228_075609.jpg 20160228_075638.jpg

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@TylerJ not atypical of borosilicate glass and unfortunately not something Robo or anyone else warrants. I do believe Robo may sell you one at a reduced cost if the printer is still under warranty, you will need to contact them directly.

10. TylerJ

TylerJ New Member

I contacted Robo already so I'm waiting to hear back from them. I've had the printer exactly 2 months, I don't know what it wouldn't be covered under the warranty. To me, it seems like it would be a manufacturer defect. It's not like I've done anything out of the ordinary with it. I haven't even disassembled it (yet). I plan on doing @WheresWaldo Y bearings upgrade when I have to replace the bed.

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

They don't normally warrant the glass bed, but give them a ring.

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

You will be disappointed to find out that regardless of the age or what you did or didn't do, the glass bed is not covered. Just setting your expectations.

Geof likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You'd be surprised how much isn't covered under warranty in the manufacturing world. I work as a technician in a production plant and more often than not its not a warranty part, but imho robo does a good job by us when it comes to our printers. If they sell a non warranty part at a discount that is great

Edit: it would be cool if you let us know their response to your issue

14. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

When the glass bed on my original R1 was shedding slivers of glass I was told that unless it was damage from shipment it isn't covered by the warranty and that I'd have to buy another bed (at a reduced cost from just buying it as if it was a spare, or whatever).

15. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

I have the solution to ever having another chip in your bed. I have 14 Robo3d printers and have had 3 chips from the bed. I replaced the bed and added a PEI sheet to the bed. Two problems solved. One... no more chipped beds, Two.. No more need to use anything glue stick or hair spray to get PLA or ABS to stick to bed. Full bed prints in ABS no warping. Warning high temp filaments like Nylon, poly-carbonate use glue stick so that you can get the print off the bed. Also glue stick for Ninja flex. Great material. See this youtube video.

16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Ocsff I have seen more than one person state that full size ABS prints stick to PEI sheets. I have found that near the edges of the bed with a bed temp set to 90°C there can be as much as 40°C difference. With that much difference even non-warping filaments can warp. I am reluctant to believe that there will be no warping at the edges of the build platform regardless how well PEI sheets work. Have you actually used it to print objects that extend beyond the edges of the heated area (approx 8 1/4")?

17. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Back when we were doing prints for that CES contest I was having a hell of a time getting the parts for said contest off of my PEI sheet when attempting to print them in ABS, and they pretty well filled the build area of the bed.

Granted, I was running the bed closer to 100C and then cooling it by 5-degree stages down to 80C every 150 layers, but still.

18. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

You have to use common sense and use the bed as it was intended. The outline on the bed shows approx area of heater on the underside. That is why they call out a 8'x9'x10' build volume. That is also why the heated bed is required for good ABS prints. I have 14 Robos and been printing since The first Robo was put out. I know what I am talking about.

19. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

Glue stick will make it easier to remove parts from PEI as mentioned above

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Let's make sure we are accurate here, they call out 10 x 9 x 8 (l x w x h), the actual size is just about 9 x 8 x 9 the heated portion is just over 8 x 8 so the entire build area is not heated, that is why I asked about the PEI. It appears from the answers provided that you cannot use the entire build area just the heated portion if you are printing with a filament that requires a heated bed.