1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Arduino - Extruder Motor Not Working - Robo 3D R1

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Brock_L, Jun 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brock_L

Brock_L New Member

Hi All.
    So originally I thought my extruder motor stopped working so I went to my local Microcenter and bought a new motor and wire. As I was replacing the motor and wire I tested it out on the E0 port. The motor didn't work at all. I then switched out the new motor and old motor with new wire, got nothing. I then plugged in both motors using the new wire into the Y port, everything worked. Then tried old motor and old wire in Y port, worked perfectly.

So obviously the E0 port is the problem. I already tried reflashing the Arduino to no avail. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there also a way to use the E1 port instead by adjusting the Arduino code? Really would prefer not to purchase a new Arduino.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The arduinos are cheap off amazon. You can go through and reassign the firmware

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Could it possibly be the stepper driver and not the plug in? Could try swapping one of the known working stepper drivers and see if that ends up working. If not, yeah the arduino is a pretty cheap buy off of amazon.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You should try the replacements in this order:

1) Stepper driver(tiny little card)
    2) entire RAMPS
    3) the arduino

It is unlikely they are all bad and the most likely is the stepper driver.

5. Brock_L

Brock_L New Member

Thanks Mark, Geof, and Danzca6. Tried the stepper driver and still got nothing. Just bought a RAMPS to replace my current one. We'll see how this goes...

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, if it is NOT the stepper driver I would replace the RAMPS.

Brock_L likes this.
  7. Brock_L

Brock_L New Member

So, I got the new RAMPS 1.4. And to say I'm lost would be a drastic understatement.

The printer doesn't want to connect to MC for some odd reason. My RepRap LCD just flickers (except when plugged in to my computer, then it's just a solid light with no text) and none of my stepper motors work. I would try adjusting the voltage but since they it cant connect to my Mac and the LCD doesn't work I can't test it out.

Tried connecting my Robo to my PC, all it does is sound the "connected" sound over and over again.

Any suggestions?

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like a connection issue. Can you share some good photos of your board ?

9. Brock_L

Brock_L New Member

You bet. I'll try disconnecting everything first and making sure I have everything in the correct pins. Will post in the morning.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds great, thanks. I'll check back in the morning

11. danzca6

Did you get a new ramps and arduino as well? If so, you may want to reinstall any driver you have and then, if you can connect using the arduino software, flash the board.

12. Brock_L

Brock_L New Member

I believe I wired up everything correctly.

Pictures will be below I tried to get every angle I could. I did notice when I turned on my Robo 3D, on the Arduino, that between what looks like the 12v connector and the USB it would get extremely hot to where I couldn't even touch it. Not sure if that is normal, but I suppose I should list all the symptoms anyways. The TX and RX lights on the Arduino board are both flashing when I connect it to my PC.

I should also add that I was able to flash my board with the Robo 3D firmware prior and now the Arduino cannot connect to any of my computers. Think I should just bite the bullet and purchase a new Arduino as well?

Attached Files:

13. danzca6

Try removing the ramps from the arduino and see if you can connect using the arduino software. That should help isolate if the arduino is having an issue. Also try a reinstall of the driver. That worked for me on a new board awhile ago even though it didn't make sense why.

Geof likes this.
  14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thats was my thought as well. Narrow down the issue

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The end stops in that photo look odd to me. Can you snap a better photo of how you have them connected please

16. Brock_L

Brock_L New Member

Unfortunately removing the ramps board didn't help. I'll attach a video as to what I'm seeing happen on my PC while the Arduino is connected.
    Video:
    (hopefully the link works)
    Here are how the end stops were wired in.

Attached Files:

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you can try it on another USB port entirely give that a shot, but it would appear as though it is having trouble registering.
    You can open device manager and delete the driver for it, then unplug and plug it back in (which will force a reload of the driver).
    If none of that helps, it is a bum board.

Geof and danzca6 like this.
  18. Brock_L

Brock_L New Member

Yeah, I'm not getting any type of response in a different port or with a different wire and all of that jazz.

I just ordered another board. Should be here by Thursday. Sucks that this entire fiasco was started by my extruder motor getting caught up and all then going completely dead. I'll update when it gets here!

Geof likes this.
  19. danzca6

I hope part of that jazz was reinstalling the driver. If so, that does suck. Good thing these boards are cheap.

Brock_L, mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  20. Brock_L

Brock_L New Member

So I've had the new board for a couple days now. Now my problem is that in Arduino, the port selection option is grayed out. I've been researching every way I could install or locate the drivers and be unsuccessful. Tried on all 3 computers (two Windows, one Mac) and it's been a nightmare. So obviously I cannot flash the board to get this running... What a nightmare this is XD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.