1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Arduino/Ramps issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Matt Gorski, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

I also just notice when trying to show the serial console in Arduino IDE it won't connect to port 3 but does show serial number and vpid in board info

2. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

3. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

What does it mean when it won't even connect with any RAMPS connected? How would the Arduino go out from just swapping the RAMPS? I've tried to connect in every software at this point. I've switched end stops wires, motor wires, switch LEDs around nothing seems to work and it will not connect, just hangs on attempting...

4. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

I'm patient, if I have to order a new Arduino so be it... Just let me know a well confirmed working replacement...

5. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

I am going to try and reflash the firmware this morning but I really have no idea why the Arduino stopped working in the first place. I don't really understand how I can not connect in any slicer software yet I could connect before I took the RAMPS out so this has to be a loose connection correct? But you guys say it should connect with NO RAMPS but it doesn't so what does this mean and what are my options to get a functional Robo 3d again? I'm upset that my printer is juat lying in pieces for the last week now..

Please any help is appreciated. I do have a stock replacement RAMPS on the way from robo. I guess I really should of just waiting and not even tried the retrofit but shipping from robo I knew would take weeks and I thought the Guru board would be a temp solution.

#45 Matt Gorski, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Look at the FLASHING THE FIRMWARE SECTION on this page: http://guide.robo3d.com/Wiki/ROBO_3D_Firmware_Release_Notes

If the Arduino compiler will not connect on any COM port then the Arduino is defective.

If you swap Arduino boards, windows will assign the new one a new COM port so if you were on say COM 4 then the new board will be something else (COM 5, etc.) so make sure you are attempting to talk on the correct COM port. (This is all Windows stuff, not printer specific)

Sadly you had some birth defective parts and that complicates the learning process since instead of learning how the software works you are sorting out hardware problems or in this case hardware and Windows problems.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can schedule a one-on-one with Robo directly and they can walk you through troubleshooting.
    We Robo users can certainly help you walk through it was well (maybe better) but it will take longer :)
    On the plus side you will end up knowing the printer inside and out by the time you get it fixed.

Matt Gorski likes this.
  8. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

Look at the FLASHING THE FIRMWARE SECTION on this page: http://guide.robo3d.com/Wiki/ROBO_3D_Firmware_Release_Notes

Yeah i actually thought those lower instructions were for the Robo v1. I think I should be able to flash the firmware I can see my board info and the com port.

Definitely a plus that i'm learning so much about the hardware. Any future issue should be a breeze after this initial hurdle ;)

Rigmarol likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They have never done a good job with the firmware download page or the instructions.
    <sigh>
    Trust me it IS better than it used to be :)

10. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

This doesn't look good. Timeout communicating with programmer.

Attached Files:

11. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Matt Gorski
    I think you have the wrong board selected in the Arduino IDE

Tools >> Board should read "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560"

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

I selected Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560 in tools, board, Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Make sure you have the correct COM port selected as well (sound obvious, but easy to overlook)

TOOLS menu -> PORT

14. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

Using Arduino IDE 1.6.9 as the wiki says to use...

15. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

Yup have com port selected I can see my serial # firmware compiles sketch starts to upload and says timeout communicating with programmer. Tried twice now and even removed device and rebooted windows.

16. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

So how could changing the RAMPS wreck the Arduino. I don't understand this is a brand new printer recently refurbished directly from Robo don't yoi think they would do a few tests before selling it???

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then that is most likely a problem with the arduino. Bad bootloader or something (assuming you have the upload speed set correctly).
    You can try turning the power off and unplugging the USB, wait a few minutes and then plug back in and see if that helps.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Electronics can be killed by static electricity. That is life. It is unusual for the Arduino, but it can happen. I think in this case it is more likely a corrupted bootloader, but same difference from your perspective since you can not fix that.

As for Robo ... I am unsure to what extent they test or warrant the refurbished ones. That is something only they can answer.

19. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

Okay there is nothing in the wiki about upload speed that would be nice to know if that's the issue here ;)

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Set it to 115200 (115k baud)