1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PLA at my patience breaking point!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dime333, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

The nozzle keeps curling the extruded filament and is beyond frustrating! I have taken it apart cleaned it out, even used a q-tip while it was heating up inside the actual nozzle put it back together and same freaking thing. Really am almost ready to give up seriously. Any help other than what I have already done would be appreciated!

2. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

How far away is the nozzle from the print bed that curl is being a problem? I think we all get it to some degree.

Before I print I raise the head 20mm, extrude 10mm of filament and use self closing tweezers to scrape the tip and then remove the extruded material. Then, at the beginning of the print process, I use Tesseract's GCode to move the head to 15mm above the bed and extrude more material. It then begins to print the skirt.

I do this to make sure the nozzle is clear and ready to print.

During the clearing extrusions, it tends to curl. But that's ok since when it starts the skirt the filament comes out cleanly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

I have scrubbed the nozzle there is nothing on the bottom of it to adhere towhich is why I took it apart to clean it, figured it must be inside the nozzle, there was a time I had it too close to the bed and I think possibly some of the blue tape got inside the nozzle. But as I have said I cleaned the inside and outside but it doesn't matter, could it possibly be the filament? I doubt it only because it didn't do it before and I am a quarterof the way through the spool now.

4. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Any imperfection, be it dirt, dust, or whatnot can cause it to curl. And all it takes is a speck.

My question is why is the curl causing you a problem? If the filament is adhering to the bed correctly and you're at the correct distance from the bed, a slight initial curl should not be causing problems.

5. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

It curls right out of the nozzle if I get the glob to fall straight down it will still curl but fall straight. The issue is after the skirt it starts on the print and then just keeps picking up what it just put down ruining the print in the process. I ordered the e3d hot end but will have to wait a few weeks for delivery they are shut down until the second of January which means my investment is going to sit there until then.

6. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

I really wish they would have put threaded nozzles on there so you could remove them easily like the e3d why that wasn't made that way I do not know other than cost. Could just drop it in some acetone or blow it out with air or whatever but you can't because its attached to wires.

7. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Can you give us a video of your printer's hot-end as it begins to print showing us the problem?

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Two things I would do:
    1) make certain the Z is at the correct height when printing. Too high and it would cause these sort of symptoms. If it does not press* the filament into position it can want to curl.
    2) Try adjusting the temperature (a few degrees) a bit and testing again. Not all of the filament I use has the same perfect zone for flowing correctly.

Yes, the threaded nozzles are better (as are the rest of the E3D features and that is main reason lots of people upgrade).

It is frustrating until you get it sorted. Mine came with a number of broken and poorly assembled components, but once sorted out (and I figured out how to use it) I am loving it.

*('press'--not 'fall' or 'lay down')

9. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

No I cant upload a file because this site doesnt accept mp4s for whatever reason and i only have a camera on my phone.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Upload videos to youtube.

11. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

Here is the video, you can see immediately after it comes out of the nozzle it curls to the left.

12. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

So that curl can be ok. I get that all the time.

When you start printing, however, how does it look? Is it curling still?

13. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

what it does when i print is lay down the skirt, sometimes its ok sometimes it pulls what it just layed down. when it gets to the actual print it is already built up around the nozzle and just prints blobs which in turn picks up other blobs and just keeps going until i stop it. before i would manually extrude the filament and it would fall straight down no curl whatsoever and then it started doing this stuff.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

This is normal behavior. Plastic has a tendency to want to stick to itself so bits of plastic on your nozzle will cause it to stick to that and curl.

When you start a print have it lift a bit off the build platform during heat up. This will allow you to pull off the clumped plastic when it gets to temp. When the print starts and it's still clumping use your tweezers to try and pull off the clump, this should allow for it to start adhering to the build platform. Sometimes the adhesion will start and the clump will stick behind though not always. You are doing a skirt right? Of course you are.

If you are never adhering to the build platform even after all this then your nozzle is too high. Simple as that

2 people like this.
  15. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

ok i will try that but my nozzle height is at the correct setting, my temp is at the correct setting, and i have hairspray on the tape. The reason it is an issue is because i have made other prints and it worked fine, then all of a sudden this started happening. Can the filament be at fault? I am a quarter of the way through the spool but like i said it didnt do that before so I don't know.

16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The spool can change a bit if it absorbs moisture (humidity) or if the consistency of the filament is poor.
    More likely the adjustments have changed a wee bit due to vibration/motion.
    Experiment with the temperature as suggested. A little bit of adjustment with either temperature or Z height (or both) might get you back to working.

17. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I can't see the video, but curl out of the nozzle does tend to indicate that you might have something blocking the nozzle depending on how bad. If it's only a little curl, it's not really a problem. Regardless, that probably wouldn't be the cause of the blobbing.

From your description of the little blobs, you may actually be too low. Are you printing with PLA? If you're too close on that first layer or overextruding too much, you might require too much pressure to push out the amount of material. The built up material tends to spit out in little blobs or mounds, then you fail at the next layer when you hit them if the adhesion isn't that good. ABS will tend to build up and just clog rather than making the little blobs.

2 people like this.
  18. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

I gave up on the PLA spool, rigged a fan underneath to use ABS an still same issue. I set the height of the nozzle i dont know how many times using a piece of paper like the guide says, once again my temp settings are where they need to be and still the skirt makes 3 passes and its not even close to what it should look like. Really really frustrated and I am done for the day.

19. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Can you give us a video showing the printer printing the skirt?

20. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

Funny thing is it started printing again well the skirt and the outline laid down, then it started to infill and nothing was coming out because the temperature was too low. So now my nozzle will not heat up anymore, I have reset repitier turned it on and off and I get nothing, it stays at 31.40 degrees and doesn't budge, the bed heats up fine but even if I don't heat the bed it doesn't rise in temp at all. So now its a whole other problem, naturally after it started working again lol. M109 S220 ; insert smiley shooting printer