1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PLA at my patience breaking point!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dime333, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Let it sit unpowered and disconnect the USB for a bit and see if it fixes. Also restart your pc

2. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

I did that and still nothing, bed still heats up no problem so really at a loss.

3. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

I take that back the bed is dropping like it did without the fan.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

OK, that might well be the thermistor failing (the hot end not heating up--the bed not heating up is in the other thread). [If you have the E3D coming, that is the perfect solution for the hot end problem.]

Ping the Robo support folks they will send you a replacement.

You should check the connections to the RAMPS board just to be sure a connector did not work loose (that would be a quick fix).

5. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

ok i will send them a message regarding the hot end along with the heatbed, i looked underneath where the boards are and didnt see anything obvious, honestly there are alot of wires down there but i will check again. Is there anywhere in particular i should look/ top or bottom boards?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Top board is the RAMPS board. Just make sure all of the connector are firmly connected (since it was working before).

Sadly, this is probably not a loose connection issue :( but it doesn't hurt to be certain.

7. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

Im beginning to think so too, i sent them a message hopefully i will hear back soon they are usually good about that. i will still recheck everything but i think you are right unfortunately.

8. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

They are all screwed in properly, don't see anything hanging down or obvious so I'm going with the possibily it's just bad. I appreciate all that have tried to help and hopefully I can do the same for someone else on here.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sounds like a loose connection to me. Though we could try reflashing your arduino and seeing if it's a software issue.

Follow all connections from your extruder to ramps board doing a pull test on every connection. If it breaks when you pull it apart it wasn't properly soldered together and could be the failure point.

I'm surprised by the thermistor staying at a constant temp. If it's open it should go to 0C and a short should go to 290-300+C. It might be as simple as your extruder heater has a loose connection

10. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

I will check again but I don't see the led flashing like it was before so is that any indication?

11. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

Checked and everything is hooked up, thermistor is working properly when I take it out of the nozzle and hold it my body temp heats it up a few degrees. Right now it says 25.90 degrees and holding.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Weird. That might be the RAMPS board then (assuming the wiring and connections are sound).
    Nice test though :)

13. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

Yeah thanks, it also heats up half a degree or so when the bed is heating up, if its the board then how is that remedied? Replacement or reflash like suggested above?

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

To be clear: at this point you might as well try the re-flash--it might work.

16. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

Not sure if that will void any warranties or not also not sure how to do it. I have experience in flashing Xbox 360 drives so it shouldn't be too hard I wouldn't think.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It should not void any warranty, but why pay for one when they should handle it under warranty?
    It is a fairly simple disconnect/reconnect (just note which connectors go where).

Yes, the re-flash is easier, just download the code from the thread on here, install the Arduino programming IDE, load it in, compile it and send it over. If you replace the hot end with the E3D you are going to need to tweak some of the settings and recompile/reload any way :) There is a thread on that.

18. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

I hear ya on the warranty, not paying for something that should be covered, I will just wait until the e3d comes to do anything but I guess I will still need a replacement board even before that will work correct?
    Do you have an e3d? Still no word from robot yet but it is the weekend I suppose.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have an E3D coming (PrintedSolid did a group order recently and I was in on that) so it is the next upgrade to be installed.

Yea, if the board is bad then you are stuck until then. Either buy a spare or push them to take are of it (and wait for it to arrive). You should still try the reflash like you mentioned, it is possible this is just screwed up software, but it sounds more like a RAMPS failure if the wiring and thermistor are good.

20. Dime333

Dime333 New Member

Thats what I figured lol, I will try the reflash and see what happens. I have sent them an email and am just waiting to hear back. I hope the eD3 is a decent upgrade it looks to be built well enough.