1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

auto-leveling IR and ambient light

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by DavidR, Jan 21, 2018.

1. DavidR

DavidR Member

As mentioned in previous posts the LED lights on my unit are currently dimmed.They are functional in that they emit light but it is so faint they may as well not be on at all. I was quite frustrated yesterday when I canceled a print 8 hrs in thinking it had lifted off the bed only to find it hadn't (no visibility).

Anyways, I bring this up for the following reason:

I have recently noticed my extruder seems to crash into my print quite frequently. I don't think its a z-offset issue. I have fixed it in the interim somewhat by turning off combing and cranking up the z-hop.

Two questions:

1.) I noticed on GitHub that there was a release at some point that mentioned improved auto bed leveling and something about correcting for ambient lighting. If so, could the fact that my LED's are dimmed be throwing this off?

2.) Does the IR light feed off the same power supply as the led lights? I'm wondering if it could be dimmed as well and throwing off the auto leveling.

Or maybe there's something else I'm not accounting for?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hmm. On the R1 series I would have said "absolutely" but on the C2/R2 while it is the same power supply, it is not the same regulator. I suppose if the power supply is fading enough it could still affect it.

3. DavidR

DavidR Member

@mark tomlinson Diagnostically do you have any idea why they would have just randomly started dimming like that? Its not the mainboard itself because I just replaced it and the problem continues. Could it be some type of file corruption? The fact that it is symmetrically happening to both led panels (along with the fact that the lights still work--just barely light) and that the right LED panel plugs directly into the mainboard leads me to believe it is not likely an issue with the lights themselves or the power supply. Thinking in terms of Ohm's law I would guess that somehow the circuit resistance has gone up. Or if they are controlled intelligently (i.e. by a processor) is it something that flashing the firmware or OS might fix?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have not looked into it much, I will go take a look at the C2 and see what is done. On the R1 the lights were just :
    1) poor connections
    2) poor LEDS

usually

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am going to address the GITHUB comment only. The "fix" that Robo has proposed in the newly added G-code (G35) basically looks at the Home Offset (M206) and adds a value to the Z_Offset (M851) to adjust the height. I still haven't seen how their code actually accounts for ambient light. Their documentation says that is what it does, but it doesn't actually do what they say it does. Maybe as a consequence of their logic they think it fixes ambient lighting anomalies, but actually all it does is add or subtract Z_Offset (M851) if probing is different than the stored value from the previous probe. If this actually does anything with ambient light it is just a happy coincidence since what it actually addresses is probe consistency. It is clever but every print will have some small difference even in the exact same lighting conditions. You can test probe repeatability yourself using the M48 G-code. The biggest issue is that this code all depends on the stored reading being an absolutely correct measurement. And if you do the repeatability test, you will know that there is simply no way of knowing if that is true. I did do the same test with all lights off and the range difference is under 0.10 mm between a lighted room and a darkened room with individual measurements in exactly the same range.

All this and Z_Offset or Home Offset only affects where layer 1 is placed not any subsequent layers on top of that.

#6 WheresWaldo, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  7. DavidR

DavidR Member

@WheresWaldo @mark tomlinson I'm actually on a plane out of the country atm and don't have my unit with me.Are you familiar with the internal wiring of the R2? The right LED is connected directly into a 5V terminal on the mainboard. I'm wondering where it goes from there. I know that the left LED is getting the same wattage as the first because they are equally bright, but that's not enough to tell if they are in series or parallel. If I was more familiar with the wiring structure of the unit I could likely narrow down the problem quite quickly. Do you know if these specs are linked somewhere?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes I know and No they are not. I am familiar with the C2 internal wiring, @WheresWaldo knows the R2

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

From Left to Right
    • D3 / Yellow / RX / +5V (through 1KΩ resistor R9) & Pin 10 ATMEGA16U2-MU
    • D4 / Yellow / TX / +5V (through 1KΩ resistor R10) & Pin 11 ATMEGA16U2-MU
    • D6 / Green / Power Indicator / +5V (through 220Ω resistor R26) & GND
    • D7 / Green / Power Indicator / +24V (through 1.8KΩ resistor R27) & GND
    From Back to Front
    • D9 / Red / Heated Bed / +24V (through 1KΩ resistor R40) & Pin 4 Header X1
    • D16 / Red / Heater 2 / +24V (through 1KΩ resistor R18) & Pin 2 Header J6
    • D13 / Red / Heater 1 / +24V (through 1KΩ resistor R39) & Pin 2 Header J8

#9 WheresWaldo, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    supercazzola and DavidR like this.
  10. DavidR

DavidR Member

@mark tomlinson @WheresWaldo Perfect! I have a voltmeter/ammeter/ohmeter as well which should help narrow down where the problems coming from as well.

I want to thank both of you for your genuine willingness to help me not only in this question but in the multiple I've had since receiving this device. It was a Christmas gift so in general I have had no idea what I'm doing most of the time. Your answers have likely saved me several hours of trouble. @Geof as well.

Geof likes this.