1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Autodesk Fusion 360

Discussion in 'Software' started by dorourke7280, Feb 19, 2017.

1. dorourke7280

dorourke7280 New Member

When I bought my Robo 3D R1+, it came with a free year's membership for the Autodesk Fusion 360 software. I tried to use this, but the dropdown menu for printers doesn't list the Robo 3D. Any suggestions?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You cannot attach directly from Fusion 360, it is a CAD program not a front end for the printer, nor is it a slicer. And the free subscription is worthless, as Fusion 360 has always been free for academics and hobbyists and start-ups. There is no 'Pro" version of Fusion 360 everyone uses the same version.

Robert Foreman and Geof like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So to expand a little bit on that. 3D printers do not "print" CAD files directly. The printers actually operate on something called GCode*. That GCdode is generated by a program called a slicer. The Slicer takes your CAD file (usually surface models of type STL but some programs can import others) and generates a stream of GCode (usually into a file named *.gcode) and that can be sent to the printer by either the slicer itself or some other "host" program like Repetier host, mattercontrol, simplify3d, etc.

If you start with a CAD file in some arbitrary format you would normally export that as an STL file and then load it into a slicer to generate the GCode to drive the printer.

3D printing is still an infant technology :)

*same thing that drives most modern CNC machines and tools like lathes and engravers

Robert Foreman likes this.
  4. Tom Vredenburgh

Tom Vredenburgh New Member

I know this thread is a bit old, but I'll throw it out here anyways... New Robo user and got educational year license, was able to send print to a .stl file and attempted to have Robo C2 slice it for me and run it but it would only print the little test line and then it says it is done. On another one, it printed a raft and then it said it was done... Not sure what I can do to help get the files from Fusion to an .stl file so that Robo C2 will use it correctly... Any thoughts? I have been able to download .stl files from thingiverse and they have worked just fine so I'm not sure where the error is occurring.

Thanks,
    Tom V.

5. Tom Vredenburgh

Here is one of the files I had made...

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I ran this through NetFabb repair, see if it works any better.
    I also ran it through all of Simplify3D repairs after the netfabb ones and it found nothing to complain about.
    Try it now.

Attached Files:

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Always (always) run your models through basic repairs to fix common issues.
    Remember in most CAD software a model can visually look fine and be completely un-printable/un-sliceable.

Tom Vredenburgh likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also, just FYI, this is not the C2 section of the forum :) We won't hold that against you, but it helps to make sure people understand what you are doing if you post in the right places.

9. Tom Vredenburgh

It looks like netfabb will be free for me (educator). And it looks like simplify3d offers a discount. I will try it tomorrow and let you know. Thanks for the quick feedback, been seeing your name a lot around here. :)

-Tom

10. Tom Vredenburgh

Oops sorry I searched fusion and this was first. Thanks again

11. Tom Vredenburgh

Assuming this works tomorrow, I was going to go ahead and do the same with the other files on netfabb. Got it installing but would you mind outlining the process you used or direct me to some info on it?

Thanks
    Tom

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I cheated and used their free online one :)

https://service.netfabb.com/

Simplify3D we own and I did manually run it through those after, but as I said it found nothing else to complain about.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have in the past used the free version of netfabb as well, but once they started doing the free online one I 'freed' that disk space :)
    That was all I was using it for anyway.

AyaGamal likes this.
  14. AyaGamal

AyaGamal New Member

I use/have used Fusion 360 at work for years. I'm printing something right now that I modeled in Fusion this evening.
    I'm blown away by Fusion 360 so far, I use a XP-Pen Deco 01 V2 ( xp-pen.com/product/461.html ) drawing pad plus a the 3dconnexion space mouse for navigating the view. Works quiet good. A bit annoying is the lack of a third mouse button/wheel so i have to use the space mouse for panning and zooming the sketch area.

15. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

Microsoft 3D Builder has a good error correction utility. You could download it for free.