1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Best filament manufacturer?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS, Jan 11, 2016.

1. PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS

Who makes the best filaments out there, top three. I'm looking for the Bugatti or filament makers.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Your guess is as good as everyone else's. This question is just too open ended and subject to to many variables to be answered at all.

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

For PLA, I have had great luck with Hatchbox. Can get it for around $20 a K on amazon. I haven't tried ABS or any of the other exotics yet. I did try JustPLA and didn't have any luck with it at all, but others here use it. It's a bit cheaper.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

ColorFabb is probably the pinnacle of filaments.

5. PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS

Thank You Mr. Kelly =o)

6. Morichalion

Morichalion Member

You're going to get a lot of different answers to this question. The most accurate answer might change over time, as well. I'd look at a variety of manufacturers.

Personally, I've only got experience with Robo3d and FoxSmart.

Once you get the temps worked out, Robo3D's wood and glow in the dark filament produces decent results.

FoxSmart's PLA is a lot cheaper, but still very excellent quality. I'm going to buy three more rolls from them once I get a new heating bed for my printer.

7. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

i like esun

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

As you can see from the replies, this was not a good question, it is open to too many opinions and from all of us that do not go out and try every type of filament that's available. You also need to factor in PERCEIVED VALUE. Everyone's scale is very different and you will need to find yours.

As an example, ColorFabb was listed, while they are the most expensive of all mentioned so far, that doesn't make them the best, and it may not satisfy your criteria of what is the best. Asking about specific filaments in the The Printer > Printing Filament sub-forum might glean you the information you need to to make informed decisions.

9. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Just remember as well that PrintedSolid (and suppliers similar) sell samples at reasonable prices. Instead of buying a full K, you can get just a taste to see if it meets your needs. Agreed that this is a very broad discussion. Now if you ask who is the best PLA manufacturer, that would narrow it down. But asking all filament, well, there are specific filaments for different tasks. Flexible, ridged, glow in the dark, filled, now scented (OMG!), and many more. What is your intended application for the filament? This makes a big difference.

10. Pergo

Pergo Member

Agree with Foxsmart and eSun.. I now have a wall full of PLA and a couple ABS and 4 rolls of PETG.
    Foxsmart is extremely consistent and prints with a "frosty" very opaque look. sells at Amazon for about $16-$19
    eSun is a little bit more sharper edge and a tad more expensive. Sells at Amazon for about $20-$24
    Only filament I've personally had repeat problems with (different rolls) was Dockwell. Although I do like there Natural PLA Glow in the dark Blue. 2 rolls of that were awesome.

11. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

As for Foxsmart, I haven't been too impressed with their ABS. I received a spool of white and it was more like the color of condensed milk - not really what I would call white.

For decent, cheap, actual white ABS I'd get Inland white from Microcenter.

12. Pergo

Pergo Member

Good to know.. I have not used their ABS.. was it just the color? how did it handle?
    Are you saying it's a little off white?

13. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

The color was off... a bit too yellow for my taste. As for handling, it vapor-smoothed to a very smooth finish but I found it more difficult to control ooze.

If I was going to print a faux-marble statue without too much detail, it would be perfect. However, I typically want my whites very white.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I've used hatchbox, 3D solutec, fox smart and colorfabb. For ease and general print quality my vote is colorfabb (just N opinion) I still use hatchbox for toys and freebies because kids don't care about qa and if it's a giveaway ... We all like free stuff haha

15. PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS

As recommended I will ask this question more specially in the filament sub forums. Thank you all for the info!