1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Brand new to 3D printing - RoBo 3D R1+ - Multiple issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Perry, Dec 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

It looks like your slicer question was targeted at Mark since you quoted him but I'll offer my opinion.
    MC was great to get me started and the wife still likes it. I moved to CURA to get MORE setting and MORE choices.
    "User Friendly" is relative to your experience. You have more options and choices and details.
    Is it simpler? No. MC is simpler but a bit less capable than CURA.

I'm gong to go with Simple 3D in the future but I have other things I want to buy first. CURA is doing fine for me at this time.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

My goto when I used free stuff was repetier host. Long time ago. Have not used them recently.

4. Perry

Perry New Member

Thanks everybody for your software notes. I'll probably be trying Cura in the near future, but I decided to stick with MatterControl for now since I'm more used to it.

@mark tomlinson : I have a followup question regarding the z-axis offset. I'm still not getting a skirt that matches the photo shown in that link, even when I try pushing the offset down to 0.5mm. The issue seems to be that the nozzle is too close to the skirt and the heat causes the nozzle to pull the already printed portions of the skirt and then it messes up the print. Do you know what I'm trying to explain? Any suggestions?

I've been able to print some pretty neat stuff with my offset at around 0.7mm, but the skirt still doesn't look "finished." Check out the attached photos. The first one shows the difference between my earlier skirt and my improved skirt. While the skirt is better, it's still not great.
    The second photo is an R2D2 model that I was able to print last night, just for fun.

Attached Files:

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The picture would indicate that there are other issues beyond just Z-Offset for layer one. You may need to also calibrate you extruder steps. It would appear that you are not extruding the amount the printer thinks it should be.

Rigmarol, mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

It looks to me from the bottom of that picture (boxes) that the z offset is still to high (the number doens't matter a whole lot as everybodys will be different so yours may be very low, while mine is relatively high numbers)

Rigmarol likes this.
  7. Perry

Perry New Member

Thanks guys, for your responses. Its strange that these settings aren't easier to adjust than they are. Looks like I'll have to check the extruder steps.

@Geof , I agree that Z-offset may be too high, but when I experimented with lowering it, the nozzle ended up touching the already printed lines and then dragging them and ruining the print. How do I avoid that?

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That should have nothing to do with Z offset at all. Z offset ONLY affects how high off of the glass the first layer starts. Layers crashing into each other is a Z steps issue and normally because you have the wrong firmware configuration....

Geof likes this.
  9. Perry

Perry New Member

I'm using the V2 firmware I downloaded from Robo's website. Why would there be an issue with their firmware?

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Ignore what @mark tomlinson said about firmware, he was just covering all bases. Your R2D2 print looks dimensionally accurate, I would focus on extruder accuracy and fine tune layer one offset (z-offset).

11. Perry

Perry New Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I did not need to work on the extruder accuracy this weekend because I believe I may have found what the issue was. My "first layer height" in the settings was at 0. I changed it to 0.4mm and it ended up producing much better bottom layers!
    I'll tag this thread as solved.

Rigmarol and Geof like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.