1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Cura Vs S3D

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Brothengar, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Brothengar

Brothengar New Member

I would love if someone with the R2 could do a few different bench mark prints both with CURA and S3D , I have my R2 on pre order and trying to decide if i want to order S3D , which will also work with my Qidi Tech one.
    would love some unbiased pics

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The pics are not going to tell you much.
    Try it yourself when it comes in with the free slicers.

There are a number of more complex things that the S3D slicer can do that the others simply can not even do and the support generation is by far the best out there. You may not need the more complex features.

Geof likes this.
  3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

This is where @mark tomlinson and I have a slight difference of opinion. S3D is very good, we both agree on that, but I do not beleive there is anything you can do with S3D that cannot be done with at least two of the free slicers currently available. Both Cura 2.4/5 and Slic3r PE are excellent slicers and if all three are tuned properly there will be little to no difference in the final results.

And this is coming from someone that uses S3D daily. If you want to know why, it's because once you set up a workflow it is easier to stay with the tools you choose rather than swapping them in and out.

usafitz and Geof like this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I'll defer to your judgement of those two since I have not touched them (well Cura 2.4 I did a brief test of dual extrusion with).

Geof likes this.
  5. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I have always had a bit of trouble with Cura, and that could be down to how hard it was to get it to work with my main fleet of printers (hint: it is not worth the trouble, and requires V13 or something old)

So on my Prusa machines sometimes Slic3r has produced a better surface finish on the vertical sections compared to Cura, but S3D has been fine. Where I struggle with S3D is horizontal sections that are embedded down a few cm's, it always seems to leave a hole at the edges. The other slicers place a few extra layers down first that are much wider, and then start the horizontal sections over that. So it prevents the holes. I could be missing something is S3D though, and I am sure I will have to find it soon.

Cura on Robo R2, first slice has produced what looks like stepper ringing on the vertical surfaces. Same object now with S3D that is printing is not showing these marks, same filament, speeds, temp, etc.

I always get visible seams in Cura when it is creating the outer perimeter.

I find Cura, S3D, and Slic3r to be the best for open source machines, and on my FlashForge the newest version of FlashPrint is more than enough for great results without having to work around limitations.

Here is a stock Slic3r PE setting example print - https://www.dropbox.com/s/izv8y6umx077z9q/WP_20170606_09_14_04_Pro.jpg?dl=0

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is a lot to be said for the custom slicers that are machine targeted. @Geof has probably played with some as well.
    If you know what the hardware is, making the slicer work is a bit easier.

7. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I have an email from S3D that they had plans for the C2 and R2, but that was months ago.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Someone with a machine needs to contact them and work out a profile.
    I am pretty sure the 3.1 release has the C2, but I am sure the R2 is 2 new.

9. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I did find the C2 in the setup.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes indeed. Most of them lol. I juggle 4 slicers depending on the machines im running (most times all of them)

jwmueller and mark tomlinson like this.
  11. Bigrednurse

Bigrednurse New Member

I have just downloaded cura and creality's version of same as I bought a creality printer. I sliced a magazine I redesigned for my marauder. The cura slice takes 2 hrs 8 min to print at 100mm/s top speed, while the s3d slice takes 57min at 60mm/s. !!?? I guess you get what you pay for.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I have found that settings: acceleration, jerk control, printing thin walls, etc. make large differences in speed and finish and I tune for the best performance/finish trade off. Have you set up both slicers next to each other and gone through them parameter by parameter? Sometimes when I lose the "magic" for printing a part I have to do that and I then discover some obscure setting that makes all of the difference.

13. Bigrednurse

Bigrednurse New Member

I opened both programs side by side and adjusted all settings to be same. I don't see jerk or accelerations setting for s3d so those are default, but I did get everything I could see a way to duplicate from cura to s3d. I managed to get cura time to 1hr 11min for cura and 37 minutes for s3d. If you can maintain quality and print faster I would be very interested. I am trying to learn cura but don't want to take twice the time to print with it. I like the support tree idea or just going from point a to point b. I have uploaded this stl, and the factory file from s3d, so maybe some one can show me how to print faster with cura.

Attached Files:

14. Lance Weston

put into cura with the standard draft (.2mm layer height) and 100mm/s top speed and got 46 minutes. Please attach your cura profile

15. Bigrednurse

Bigrednurse New Member

I was running both at 80 not 100 as I am printing in nylon and even that is probably too fast. I would attach the cura profile I was using but have not figured a way to export the settings. Essentially they are as you specified except both were running at 80. Cura is new for me and I just used mostly the defaults That is when I got 71 min for cura and 37 for s3d. If you can tell me how I will certainly download the profile for you. Taulman says print speed should be 40 but I have successfully printing at 60, with no noticeable deficiencies.

#15 Bigrednurse, Apr 25, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  16. Lance Weston

Goto manage profiles -> export

17. Bigrednurse

Bigrednurse New Member

Ok I found it under settings then the profiles tab and after naming it I was able to export it. I had to add the extension txt to get it to upload, but here it is (I think)

Attached Files:

18. Lance Weston

not a valid cura profile

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

try renaming it to a .ZIP file.

20. Lance Weston

did that and it was a zip, but....
    Failed to import profile from R:/GCODE/creality_ender5_standard_quality_#2.curaprofile: Quality type 'standard' is not compatible with the current active machine definition 'fdmprinter'.