So filament can get wet... that is to say it can absorb moisture from the air. Many types can and will do this, PLA and nylon among others. If you live in a place with noticeable humidity this will be the case (I live in the swamps of Florida so this is NEVER in doubt for me). For PLA this results in microsteam bubbles in the printed filament and will give it a slightly less than awesome finish look. It will not usually cause the print to fail, but it will make it look less smooth and finished. Eventually the PLA will absorb enough water to become brittle and that is annoying. It can still often be printed, but it is more of a pain. Even if you store the filament off the printer and in a sealed container with desiccant you can eventually fall into this problem. Given all this I figured I would tackle the idea of drying the PLA out. There are a couple of approaches. Taulman suggested use of a lower temperature heat source and blow hot, dry air over the filament. For example an incandescent light bulb and a small fan with a material like silica beads. Ultimately the goal is to get the temperature around the PLA to about 150 Fahrenheit and keep it there for a couple of hours. Given that incandescent bulbs are on the wane I thought I would try another route. So I looked around and found a cheap (less than $30) convection oven more than large enough to fit my largest spool into. The only downside was that the temperature settings went from off to warm/thaw and then 250 degrees So some experimentation was in order with a thermometer probe until I knew where on the dial to set it and get a range of -/+ 5 degrees of 160. I then took an old (very old, very wet) partial spool of sacrificial PLA and tossed it in an set the timer for 1 hour (most I could do at a time on the cheap-o oven). I reset it twice so it got about two hours on it. When removed from the over initially the PLA was very flexible, but not at the tG range (it was still quite solid). I then did two more spools. When cooled back down the filament seems fine and is no longer brittle. I will do some prints over the evening and tomorrow and let you know if it still works acceptably. It does not appear to have deformed to any extent, but obviously feeding it through the E3D will tell the tale. Assuming this works I may try nylon next.