1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Fan CFM Good? Better? Best? - Where did you buy?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Truerobotech, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Hello,

I've been searching the forums for fan replacements/upgrades. Every post I find has a "get the highest CFM you can get" or similar statement.

So just What is a:
    Good CFM - ?.??
    Better CFM - ?.??
    Best CFM - ?.??

Amazon left me with 4.1 CFM - I grabbed the Kaze, these will be going back.
    http://www.amazon.com/40x10mm-Beari...=UTF8&qid=1447696498&sr=1-3&keywords=40mm+fan

The Noctua on amazon shows Airflow 8,2 m³/h Airflow with L.N.A. 6,6 m³/h are these numbers the same as CFM?
    http://www.amazon.com/40x10mm-Beari...=UTF8&qid=1447696498&sr=1-3&keywords=40mm+fan

Locally - Altex I found 6.1 CFM part numbers OD4010-12 & 70-4128
    http://www.altex.com/40x10mm-Brushless-12VDC-Fan-OD4010-12MB-P154937.aspx

Before rushing out to buy locally or ordering from amazon again I'd like these numbers to guide the purchase. Granted some cheap fans may do the job but I'm in the printer, its in pieces so why put some "do the job" parts in. :)

Maybe we can sticky it? keep a thread where forum members can link to what and where they purchased. If this is already done I missed it feel free to point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the info
    Patrick

2. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

Truerobotech likes this.
  3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

4. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Thank you @Mike Kelly

Those should do for me as well.
    so for future thread use and searching noobs as myself could we sticky something like this?

Good - 4 CFM
    Better - 6 CFM
    Best - Highest you can get just short of jet turbine!

:)

Also quick Thanks to @robert sanchez for the conversion and link!

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, the more the merrier. The issue is that high-flow, low-noise fans become cost prohibitive.
    The 6-ish CFM ones should be perfect.

Truerobotech likes this.
  6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There is always a trade off between noise and airflow. Most fans rate CFM at maximum speed and open air and noise at minimum speeds. If noise is really not an issue and you want the maximum airflow then just get a 3 blade Delta. They sound like turbine jet engines, but produce enough CFM with such a high static pressure rating they will overcome any design ductwork.

I think you would be surprised just how little air you get at the end of the duct with low noise fans. Even asking for recommendations here should not be the final say, as you simply only answered one variable and asked nothing about how they are set up.

7. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Very good point @WheresWaldo for my personal setup noise isnt a concern as long as we can talk over them with out yelling. I will be using Marquis dual fan mod (or similar model).

So essentially my R1 will end up (for a time anyway) as single E3dV6, Dual Fan mod, Nozzles .25, .4, .8
    This setup (in my mind) puts me in a tech/mechanical spot, giving me time to tinker and learn software settings for a wide variety of results. Pretty well accepted this is a growth process where as my desire for better print quality, increased variety of printer materials etc moves forward this setup will change.

So in closing possibly? There are just way to many variables to be 100% accurate but the thread answers 2 basic questions for green Robo owners (I myself at less than 60 days). With the number of times I have seen this asked hence the request for potential sticky

A) My 40mm fan went out? What should i look for in a replacement?
    B) I am doing the Marquis (Novice Expert) Dual Fan Mod what fans do I get?

1) There are hundreds of combinations and variables to consider with your Robo this should be a general guide and no means guarantees spectacular results
    2) There is a trade off between CFM and noise i.e. Higher CFM = More Noise and vice versa
    3) Links on where to buy are not suggestions just places where other members have purchased in past

CFM -
    Good - 4 CFM - Size 40mm x 40mm x 10mm - Amazon Kaze
    Better - 6 CFM - Size 40mm x 40mm x 10mm - Amazon EverCool
    Best (or excessive) - Anything Higher - Reference Only for the two situations above A & B this is more than likely overkill. *If you choose to purchase fans of higher CFM i.e. Delta Fans referred to below your in some potentially uncharted territory. Pros & Cons, how to's etc you will be on your own.

For the record as of today I have made my purchases. The Evercool from Amazon 6+ CFM.

#7 Truerobotech, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Ultimate Airflow: http://www.delta.com.tw/product/cp/dcfans/download/pdf/FFB/FFB40x40x28mm.pdf or for even higher CFM and Static Pressure: http://www.delta.com.tw/product/cp/dcfans/download/pdf/THA/THA40x40x28.pdf. But it is very thick at 28 mm, in a 10 mm thickness their airflow rating is just over 9 cfm, http://www.delta.com.tw/product/cp/dcfans/download/pdf/AFB/AFB40x40x10mm.pdf.

There, now you have links.

I should mention, that I am no expert on cooling, but as an extreme overclocker in the past, I did a lot of research on cooling and had one of the first water cooled setups at the tech company I used to work for. That is why I know about fan manufacturers like embPabst and Delta.

#8 WheresWaldo, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    Truerobotech likes this.
  9. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Thanks @WheresWaldo that is some heavy stuff right there. Glad the forums have members such as yourself who can bring that not so direct but relate-able knowledge from outside use.

I edited my post just prior, IMHO the Good & better should suffice for the 2 scenarios listed. If the member decides to buy high CFM or jet turbines :D they will be on their own.