1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Filament issue or printer issue?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Oisin, Jan 16, 2016.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If it is only 1% out when you do the extrusion calibration test then I wouldn't worry about it.
    Part of the video is confirming what your extruder is actually doing and for a 1% difference I wouldn't adjust the eSteps for a 1% error.
    Make sure you are doing the calculations correctly because... it is important :) and most folks are a lot more than 1% out of tolerance.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

But Oisin is doing this based on an extruder that is more than 1% off, it's just coincidence that his extrusion multiplier is within 1%. That has been my point all along.

Look at it like this. If you had a car that had very advanced timing and pings badly with regular gasoline, you don't FIX it by buying premium gas instead, no matter how good it might run then. You fix the timing first then look at all the other stuff. Now do you see my point.

3. Oisin

Oisin Member

Ok here's how calibration went.

At the beginning, my esteps value was 723. I measured 150mm up my filament and marked it. I told the printer to extrude 100mm. It extruded 86mm. To get my new esteps value, I did the following. (723*100)/86 (as per Toms guide). The new value is 840.70. I input this into the firmware and marked the filament at 150mm. I then told the printer to extrude 100mm to make sure the new steps were correct. It extruded 115mm.

Why did it do this?

I then figured that the original steps were ~15mm under and the new steps were 15mm over. So I averaged the stems to 781.5 and redid the test. It extruded 80mm, which is even less than when the steps were 723.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Make sure you extrude at the same temperature each and every time. It really only matters that your extruder pushes 100 mm of filament into the hotend. Also, since we are using 1.75 mm filament, what no one ever tells you is that you need to have a lot of pressure pushing the filament into the hobbed bolt, so screw in the idler arm screws as far in as you can, maybe even adding a few M4 washers on each side. 3.00 mm filament requires a lot less pressure to extrude than 1.75 mm. If there is any slippage you might not notice it in the print as it could happen during infill but it will eventually rear it's ugly head when you are doing your most important print.

5. Oisin

Oisin Member

I always only use 195C I was just experimenting with other temperatures in my other posts.