1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Filament not feeding in robo3d

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mr_Anderson, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Mr_Anderson

Mr_Anderson Member

Hi guys, I am having a weird clog on my robo3d. I am able to get the filament into the first hole beneath the drive gear in the extruder, but then it refuses to feed. The filament gets torn into and won't go any further. I don't know where the clog is occurring, and adjusting extruder temps hasn't helped. The last plastic I printed with was ABS. I'm thinking I should remove the hotend, but no idea how accept going headfirst with my screwdriver and allen wrenches. Any ideas?

2. lars-atx

lars-atx New Member

here is a youtube of someone removing the hotend. not sure if it's current model, but general procedure should be the same.

3. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

Yes that is the old hotend but it attaches to the main body/extruder the same way... the only difference with the new hexagon one is:

a) It requires a fan, so one ( a small 25mm one) should be attached to the heat-sink. You'll need to pop that off.
    b) The way the hotend itself assembles is different. It attaches to the extruder the same way, but if it's clogged and you need to unjam it, you do it differently. (for example, you can separate it by unscrewing at the part between the nozzle and the heat sink. Also, since it's all-metal, if you take the thermistor and heater cartridge off, you can bake the whole thing in the oven like I did to melt the jammed filament inside... haha. :D )

4. Mr_Anderson

Mr_Anderson Member

Thanks guys, the video and the oven advice were helpful :). Once I removed those two screws the hotend popped out and there was a piece of abs that must've broken off when I was reversing the filament, obstructing the nozzle. Removed it and now things are working again

5. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

Hi, I have a piece of PLA stuck in what I thought was the extruder, but when I heat it up, I can't get anything to flow out. And I can't pull it out backwards either. I've watched a few videos on removing the extruder, and it seems simple - unscrew 2 screws. Well, I don't have two screws in my assembly like all the others I've seen, so what's holding it in and how do I remove it? I have the Robo 3D R1 Plus.

6. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

Robo3D1.jpg Here is what is stuck.....

7. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

This is what the side looks like, and I've removed the small fan..... Robo3D2.jpg

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It presses the filament into the hobbed bolt (which then feeds it through),

10. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

I haven't had a problem printing anything, I was just unable to load filament last night so I took the spring loaded screws out to see if I could find the problem. Which I did, green PLA sticking out and I have been unable to remove it.

So, are you saying my printer came without a part on it? If so, can you please send me the part and screws and instructions on how to assemble?

11. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

However, that doesn't really help me at this point - how do I get the extruder out?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It looks like from that picture you took out more than the screws, I don't see the idler on there (the screw hold the idler against the hobbed section)

The extruder with the screws out should look like this:

small.jpg

13. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

Oh I'm so sorry, yes, I took that part off - didn't know it was the idler :)

But those aren't the two screws I'm referring to - if you watch the video above, there are 2 screws on the side that when unscrewed, allows the extruder to just come right out - I don't have those 2 screws and I can't find anything else to take apart that will get my extruder out - so I'm wondering.......how do I get my extruder out? Robo3D2.jpg

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

15. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

Oh excellent, I was able to get it out very easily, the extruder that is. I have had no luck getting the piece of PLA out of it though :-/ It's really stuck in there! Do you have any suggestions on how to get it out?

16. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Small torch, PLA will burn off completely at about 280°C

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you remove the brass nozzle on the tip of the hotend you can easily remove the filament from the hotend.
    Then you can torch the nozzle as @WheresWaldo suggested.

18. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

And if I don't have a torch? Can I put it in the oven?

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

20. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If you live in the US, there is always Harbor Freight or Northern Tool, where you can just go and pick one up today!

mark tomlinson likes this.