1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Filament not feeding in robo3d

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mr_Anderson, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

Ok great! Thank you so much! I'll let you know how it all works out!

2. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

Well, I torched it and got all the PLA out, or so I think. I stuck a long paper clip through it a few times until they came out clean. But I still can't get any filament to feed back into the extruder - it will go about 1.5" in from the idler and that's it. I've never had good luck feeding filament into this printer - the two we have at work seem like a piece of cake compared to this - I struggle with it :-/

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Did you remove the two spring-loaded screws and open the extruder so you can feed the filament down in there?

(they are meant to come out)

4. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

Yes, I have the extruder fully out, I heat it up and can't even feed filament through that way - it goes in about 0.5in. and stops. But I can stick a paper clip in about 2.5in........makes no sense to me!

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Clogged maybe?
    No need to remove the extruder completely to feed in new filament.
    The two screws on the Gregs Wade feed are enough.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I wouldn't expect a clog in the cold section of the hotend. If you have fully removed it you should be able to remove the nozzle and see straight through the hotend.

7. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

I know I shouldn't have to remove the extruder completely, but I wanted to see if I could even feed filament through it, and I cannot. Can you show me how I remove the nozzle from the hex part?

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The whole thing needs to be heated up to remove the nozzle. It is designed that way. So if you took it out of the Robo use your torch to warm it up, It doesn't have to be as hot as when your printing, but almost. Then take two wenches and use one to hole the heater block and the other to hold the nozzle. Unscrew them and they will come apart easily. It is nearly impossible to get them apart cold, without breaking something. There should be plenty of YouTube videos that demonstrate the procedure. It is basically the same for all of these JHead style hotends.

9. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

I've tried that, the hex part just keeps spinning around, the screw does not loosen up.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

There's a set screw on the bottom of the hex heatsink. You need to tighten that up to prevent it from spinning.

For removing the nozzle, there should be a 4.5mm spanner in your tool kit. Grip the top part of the heat break and a 7mm wrench to grab the nozzle to remove it. Best to do it while hot so be careful not to burn yourself

Be sure you dropped the nozzle out of the holder and verified there is not any filament sticking out

11. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

Mark T sent me a video and I've got it all apart now :) I just don't want to break anything on my printer, so before I take anything apart I want to know exactly how to do it - but I only have to do it once. Thank you all so much for your help!!

mark tomlinson likes this.