1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Finding the right extruder temp

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Chas, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I amusing 40 speed after seeing your post. I think it helps.

I use 190 for PLA
    Tried higher temp and noticed a smell like burning sugar.

I have my bed at 55 but lately the filament is drying up and hardening quickly (using red PLA)

It then gets lifted when the extruder runs over a line.

I think I need to heat the bed a lot more so the filament stays hot and will help in sticking to subsequent layers?

How do you get the filament to stick to your bed? It's so clean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. splk3

splk3 New Member

I'm putting mine at 70C for PLA. I clean the bed with rubbing alcohol, let it dry, and then spray a little aquanet on it while the bed is heating up. It doesn't take much. I also have the fan to not run at all until 3rd layer and have the 1st layer height set to 0.3mm no matter what thickness I am printing at for other layers.

To get the bed height set, I made it almost as low as I could get it without it touching and got it as level as I could. I then used the MatterControl software to do the walk-through calibration as shown in the new getting started youtube video the Robo guys put up a few weeks ago. Once that was done, it really helped and I haven't had any trouble with 1st layer in a long time. It's printing larger objects now that is the challenge.

3. anoble66

anoble66 New Member

I have finally managed to print something today that was around an hour in print time. This is a record for me as previously it would just stop extruding filament. I think the biggest improvement was noticeable when I increased my temp to 220c. It's yet to be seen if this is really the fix, but right now, I am very happy I have managed to print the fan replacement for the e3d

4. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

Thanks Guys, I used the temperature tower to solve my layer adhesion issues.

Using Simplify3D v3 you can create 10 different processes to cover the 10 different temperatures:

Step 1:
    create the first process and set the temperature
    step 1.jpg
    Step 2:
    Adjust the applicable layer heights under the advanced tab.
    step 2.jpg
    Step 3: do this for all 10 layers
    step 3.jpg
    Step 4: Prepare to Print -> select the 10 processes you created
    step 4.jpg
    Step 5: Print

Huge thank you to @Printed Solid for helping me out.

**Note, I used the same speed for all of these, in my case 30mm/Sec. You could replicate this study with other speeds as well to optimize performance.

Mike Kelly and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. Frankn

Frankn Member

Hay, just maybe I am lazy, but I like things simple!
    I use the stock settings of 210/50 For PLA every time. The test cube comes out smooth as silk every time. Now I will admit that on complicated models like rough raptor claws, I might get jest a few fine 'hairs' where long, non extrude runs were run.
    The thing is I always use the same (regular PLA, any color), that is Hatchbox. I also run some exotics like stainless steel PLA, but at the same temperatures. Hay, maybe I am just lucky! Frank.
    NOTE: I run more ABS, and at the standard settings 295/80.

Added NOTE: That was a misstroke LOL The ABS is run at 250/80.
    Damn that Waldo's fast. lol Frank

#25 Frankn, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Frankn, wow 295° seem way hot for ABS, I generally run ABS around 245°, PETG around 255° and PLA at 210°.

I am going to do some experimenting with PETG temps, I have seen a lot of talk about PETG having less fine hairs with hotter temps, just the opposite of most other filamants.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, PETG seems to be one of the weird ones. There are a few that act 'hot' when really just a bit too cold.
    Many of the Nylons tend to be that way as well.