1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First attempt at complex geometry.

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS, Jan 29, 2016.

1. PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS

I keep getting little hairs as you can see. This was printed at medium quality, glow blue PLA.

Extruder: 205 C
    Bed: 75 C
    Res: 0.2mm
    Infil: 35%
    Speed: 57mm/sec

IMAG0050.jpg IMAG0051.jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS

I know I saw this already. How do I adjust 'Retraction' in matter Control. I do not see anything in there labled as such. I lowered my temperature way down to 187C. It seems to help so far. I also raised my bed temp to 67C.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can't imagine the bed temperature helping with stringing either.

Sometimes poor quality filament will string more than normal, that may not be your case... try retraction settings first.

6. PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS

Where are the retraction settings? I have looked at every tab in MC. Is it labeled something else? I am also using 'Advanced' view too.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It is probably easier to get answers about MatterControl from the people that created it and the community they host. www.matterhackers.com

8. PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS

I found it but now my filament is stuck in the hot end. I pulled the release lever back and now the stuff wont pull out!

9. PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS

I just changed my setting to this for extrusion:

Capture.PNG

Can someone here show me their settings for PLA that has achieved good results?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can give you my Simplify3D profile if you want to manually convert it.
    I have posted them before.

11. woferry

woferry Member

I suspect 187 was a bit too cold for the PLA, when I did a test-print where I changed temperature I had PLA that flowed fine at 190C but quickly jammed the extruder when it printed the 180C level. At least for me and two different filaments (Shaxon blue PLA and eSun black PLA) stringing got better with higher temps, a stepped-temperature test-print I did with the eSun PLA had strings at 190, 195 and 200, and showed signs of the start of stringing at 205 and 210. 215 and 220 were totally clean. eSun's box said 190-220C so I didn't test anything beyond that range.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can't really depend on numbers... that is why I am not eager throw them around. It is too specific (machine and environment and filament). I normally run PLA at 174ish on one machine, 185 on the other. They sit right beside each other and can use the same spool :)

This is also why the range they quote is so large...

13. PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS

I saw some plastic on the side of the extruder nozzel that was picking up plastic as it went along. This was causing all the nasty stringing I was getting. At least I hop so. How often do you clean the nozzel tip; after every print?

14. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Yea I normally run PLA at around 190. but it depends on the machine and the brand of filament.

I don't think its a reaction problem in your case especially with PLA. ( Colorfabb XT, and PETG on the other hand I get that a lot ). it was probably from being too hot? how did it come out at 187? I'll try that print myself tomorrow..have a 10 hour pile of parts going right now so I can't.

15. PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS

It was still causing strings. At 186 it didn't even extrude anymore. I am running at 218C now and I still have the same amount. I have followed videos on YouTube on how to fix this but nothing is working at all. I may just end up calling Robo this week.

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Stringing is hard to get rid of with certain brands, if you take it that low and retraction doesn't help then it may just be "stringy material". In matter control I printed almost all brands at 200c, since going to s3d I'm always under 195. Environment, slicer, hot ends etc it all plays a role :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  17. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

Everyone had excellent suggestions the only thing I would add is with pla (depends on brand) you want air flow to cool it off so make sure your fan is working.
    When working with a new pla brand I do some testing before I print a big item. My go to knee jerk is to lower the temp (very slowly) an give it more air flow.

PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS likes this.
  18. PACNOR RC AEROSYSTEMS

Thanks Erwin yeah that is what I have been doing except in reverse. I watch the nozzle until I see plastic start to come out the I look at te temp. 185C is the lowest you can go with ROBO PLA which is what I have.

19. CarlGustav

CarlGustav New Member

I would suggest a fan shroud, like this one: (Thing: 1037680)

Cannot post a link b/c this is my first post :)