1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Form Futura Stone Filaments

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Geof, May 31, 2017.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

So since I'm on a filament kick I've ordered some stone filament from Spannerhands in the UK. 35 bucks to ship to the US so get a few spools if you go this route. Supposedly 50% concrete, granite and teracata (they have a pottery clay but that sounded boring). For exotic material its relatively cheap.

http://www.spannerhands.co.uk/stone-84-c.asp

I'll be sure to post some prints and answer any questions anyone has.

as with everything- Not affiliated, get nothing for it, just spreading the word on what sounds like a cool filament :D

mark tomlinson and WheresWaldo like this.
  2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Sounds like if that filament ever clogs you're going to be out a hotend. :p

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Nah, I think it will burn out still. Wont be like the Virtual Foundry stuff where if it jams and you try to burn it out it cures into a immovable nozzle block. (nozzle will be the only concern, not the whole hotend)

4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I was thinking mainly of the Pottery Clay one getting hot enough to cure out in the event of a clog (not actually become pottery, but dry out enough to become very hard to remove). The concrete obviously wouldn't be a problem, nor the granite.

The Terracotta filament would be interesting to see printed and then fired in a kiln though.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

at 50% I dont think there is enough material to kiln out the plastic without gaping holes everywhere. (I didn't order the pottery clay, thats just boring to me lol)

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I person I knew with a kiln I could borrow apparently has already sold it and I am not going to front for a kiln at this point either :)
    But the others are interesting.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

We use our heat treat !LOL

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

So I've used the terracotta and concrete so far, haven't used the granite. Its neat material but nothing really special. Its got more of a feel of roughness to it that is really neat and the terracotta feels like it is, but not much weight to the print which I was hoping it would have (like bronzefill is heavy) so thats a bit disappointing to me. I'll try to run some extra prints and attach pictures here. Be advised if you do buy it...it sticks like crazy to glass....use glue stick.

9. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Hey guys... going through and catching up on some things in the area of the forum. We had terracotta in Maker Box a few months back. I believe we still have a few of the samples left that we'll be posting up for direct sale after Maker Faire NY. If anyone else wants to grab some sooner though, hit me up.

Geof likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ill try to run some and post pics keep forgetting. The materials are really neat texture. Been using for miniature display pieces