1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Front Camera Platform

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 26, 2015.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

After looking at all the camera mounts on Thingiverse (and Yeggi) to find one I could work with on the R1, I decided to make my own. This platform accepts a ¼ x 20 tripod screw. It mounts directly to the front (or rear) bed support platform. The top tabs fit with ample clearance from the bottom of the glass bed and the tabs are used to help prevent the arms from twisting. Print this out with sufficient infill to prevent shaking. Since there are tripod mounts for nearly every camera made this will work with action cameras, still cameras, and most webcams. IGES and STEP files included on Thingiverse.

Front Camera Platform for Robo3D - Thingiverse
    Front Camera Platform for Robo3D - YouMagine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 WheresWaldo, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  2. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Few things about having a camera on the bed. 1 is that it adds more weight to the y axis. It's best to try and remove as much weight as possible. Yeah it's not a ton of weight but it adds up. 2 you need a very wide angle/fish eye lens for when it's mounted on the bed. 3 is the camera is hard to keep very sturdy since it is moving so much. I designed a mount for the bed and it was ok until I figured out all of these problems. I since made a new mount that uses a case screw and double sided tape to mount it on the case. works way better and being able to swivel it wherever i need it is nice. That is a nice clean design though.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, I like it.
    I had a crude one initially for one of the two cameras on the printer. I eventually just moved the camera to beside the bed looking across (the other one is an overhead view). This is a good approach if you want one on the bed.

As for the weight, the cams these days are pretty darn small even for higher resolutions so the weight is negligible.

4. jbigler1986

Yeah not much weight for the cameras. But you also have the mounting parts and stuff. I'm sure it doesn't really affect anything. But i'm onto removing as much weight as possible from moving parts.

5. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

JB is drinking the Colin Chapman kool-aid.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Weight, printed in PET it weighs 23 grams, my Sony HDR-AZ1 with battery is under 80 grams. One screw is replaced, another is added with a nut total of about 8 grams. These are nits and will have negligible or no effect on print quality. If you decide to use a board camera, lenses are plentiful, so again a non-issue and the weight will likely be under 100 grams.

You guys worry about the weirdest things.

Jimmy Husain likes this.
  7. jbigler1986

That's what we do. I just know that the less amount of weight on the moving parts the better is all. I highly doubt this amount of weight will affect quality at all as I said earlier. Just saying that I like to remove weight instead of adding it. I definitely saw a difference in quality when going to bowden. So the less weight will help with quality. I know the stepper weighs way more than the camera. Just my 2 cents is all.

8. Menissalt

Menissalt New Member

Any way I could get that design? Video from a camera on the print bed is just hard for me to look at, I'd rather have a stationary camera.

9. jbigler1986

I would message Mike Kelley to see if he still has them. It was nothing pretty but worked really well. I lost all of my files a few months ago.