1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

got power but nothings working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by syphion2004, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Keep plugging it in and unplugging it.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You might also try different software. Reptier, MatterControl, Cura are all free ones. While they all use the same driver one just might be problematic and the others not. If one would fail for me it was usually matter control.

3. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

just a update . i have uninstalled and reinstalled it all and still cant connect. im not very computer literate so i am lost .
    also i havent updated anything and im using matter control i have tried another usb and reconnected numerous times so far nothing is working . im not computer literate not sure what to do next

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Try repetier:

http://www.repetier.com/download/

Although it may well be the Arduino driver being flaky... If Repetier can not connect either you might want to download the Ardunio IDE software (http://arduino.cc/en/main/software) install that (which will include the Arduino driver) and then see if you can connect (with either Repetier or MatterControl).

I never could figure out what made matter control have issues, but certain versions would not work for me at all.
    I ended up using Repetier mostly until I switched to Simplify3D (but that is not free). You might want to switch to Repetier if you can get it to connect.

2 people like this.
  5. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

i have that downloaded and when i try to upload it fails im on windows 7 i tried it on a windows 8 laptop and same issues
    thanks mark for your time on this im just so close to giving up

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Which one are you having trouble downloading? Repietier or the arduino software?
    I have not had any issues using windows 8 (which is what the printer machine I have is using) but before that is even an issue we need to get the software downloaded :)

At this point I think you should try to download and install the Arduino IDE (which will get you the driver installed). MatterControl may just work at that point. If not then try to install Repetier.

7. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

arduino ide is downloaded. i think im having a problem with com port. repietier wont connect either .

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the driver is not working/installed correctly that makes sense. Nothing should be able to connect in that case.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Just for the record, I hate this expression. Computers are not a language. There are 2 kinds of people, those who are computer lazy and those who are not.

You need to go to the device manager and see if you can find the Arduino Mega driver

Try installing the driver from This Download

If not there's a few basic troubleshooting steps you should take

A different computer is ideal

A different USB cable

Ensure the USB cable is secure in the Arduino. I have a lot of connection issues based on my cable not being seated fully.

Remove the RAMPS1.4 board from the arduino board and try connecting locally.

3D printers require a skilled technician. I hope you're up for the challenges

10. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

Thanks you two will check when I get home

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Here's how my arduino shows up in device manager.

[​IMG]

12. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

the mega driver com5 is installed but mine doesnt look like yours

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

that's because I installed the serial driver instead

14. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

im just lost man ive been working on this for 2 days and havent gotten any closer to printing. i dont know what to do next.

15. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

i also get a error in arduino something in setup and loop error compiling

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Did you do all the steps I suggested several times?

You need to be very meticulous with your trouble shooting and even more so with how you post. We need every single detail of what you did. General responses are very frustrating

17. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

well i think the problem is with arduino . when i try to upload everything itgives a error message . . i have unplugged everything multiple times uninstalled and reinstalled on 2 laptops it wont connect on either. matter seems to work like it should i think its a com problem. i dont understand what com5 really is i know its a usb port but wich ? not sure.

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

More likely it's a driver issue. Go through all the steps I suggested before posting again

19. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

You need to go to the device manager and see if you can find the Arduino Mega driver -----have that

Try installing the driver from This Download -------did this

If not there's a few basic troubleshooting steps you should take

A different computer is ideal ---done

A different USB cable - yep didnt work

Ensure the USB cable is secure in the Arduino. I have a lot of connection issues based on my cable not being seated fully. dont really understand this one . to verify or upload it gives a error. so maybe this is the issue.

Remove the RAMPS1.4 board from the arduino board and try connecting locally. did this with no connection

3D printers require a skilled technician. I hope you're up for the challenges

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Take a picture with the arduino removed from the ramps board plugged into USB.

Are you sure in Arduino that you have the board set to Arduino Mega 2560 or Mega ADK? And that Serial port is Comm 5

May be best if I try troubleshooting on your computer with Team Viewer

Message me on skype, it's in my information

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.