1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hexagon Hot End?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Red Submarine, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Any new photos of your mods?

2. splk3

splk3 New Member

I'll take some when I take apart my printer for the bed upgrade. I was so frustrated when I couldn't get filament to feed that I forgot to take a picture of my hacked feeder tube.

2 people like this.
  3. @mundsen

@mundsen New Member

Have printed 10-15 hours (8 different prints) without any problems.
    I plan to start testing my other filaments:
    ABS
    Taulman - Bridge
    Taulman T-Glase
    Taulman 618

What settings do you use when printing using these filaments (and others) - results?

4. splk3

splk3 New Member

Mine worked great for 5 or so PLA prints boy jammed on abs. I used a different fan so that might be the issue. Or maybe my thermistor pulled loose and I need to add some copper gasket. Will as an update when I take my printer apart for the upgrades when they arrive next week.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

5. scotta

scotta Active Member

I use a e3d and did the seasoning for PLA. It worked but would still clog after a while. I put in place an oiler. Basically the filament passes through a small sponge with canola oil. Worked great, I've done around 50 hrs with out a single clog. I also increased the roller pressure on the cold end by putting in an additional nut on each of the bolts.

6. diro

diro New Member

Has anyone got a good design for the fan shroud? My one is a bit too close to the hot end and keeps melting all over it?

Also, where can I source the rubber insulator? That would solve a couple of problems I'm having at the moment.

7. splk3

splk3 New Member

Not yet. A shroud will definitely help though, mine heated up even with a fan just enough to clog up some abs. Place worked great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

8. Cesare Cacitti

Cesare Cacitti New Member

I'm looking for a push-to-fit connector for the hexagon hot end. But I can't find any on ebay..... any ideas?

9. @mundsen

@mundsen New Member

Have done 20-30 hours printing parts that I have designed for my OrdBot nr.2 (All the white parts in the images)
    All has been printed in white PLA using my OrdBot nr. 1 (Bulldog Lite Extruder + Hexagon hot end)
    No failed prints, no clogging - no problems at all so far :)

OrdBot nr.2 is going to get the same setup (Rumba controller, Bulldog Lite Extruder annd Hexagon hot end)

Attached Files:

5 people like this.
  10. @mundsen

@mundsen New Member

2 people like this.
  11. immersedn3d

immersedn3d New Member

I know the question has been asked before but is there a release date or place to purchase the silicon/rubber for the hexagon that secures the thermistor? I'm having a lot of problems printing PLA like others have mentioned.

12. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I have an E3D not a hexagon but I assume you mean RTV silicone gasket maker:
    http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8187...=1404837603&sr=8-1&keywords=copper+gasket+rtv

I suggest that you lightly sand the area around the thermistor hole for better adhesion. Also add a bit of high temp thermal grease to the hole before inserting the thermistor. Something like http://www.amazon.com/Deepcool-Thermal-Bonding-Grease-Compound/dp/B004X7XSVY .

See http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/e3d-hotend-temp-swing-of-10c-5c.1934/#post-15428 .

13. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

You'll need to email Elvira at reprapdiscount to see if/when she is going to make it available for purchase. Can you post her repose here too please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#273 Galaxius, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
  14. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I was hoping they'd make it standard, but my most recent batch doesn't have them :(

15. byteme

byteme New Member

Elvira - Please release the silicone cover!!!!
    I have hundreds of hours printing now and the only jams were my fault. (Accidentally left fan off).
    I have printed PLA, ABS, Taulman 618, Taulman T-glase, and Ninja flex.
    I have several other hexagons I have installed on I3s for a 3D printing lab at the local high school.
    They function but the temp variations are much greater and I have more issues.

16. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Plenty hours more later, the Hex is still taking everything I throw at it - except for some Bridge nylon that is humidity enlarged, apparently. I don't have the silicone sleeve, but use the high temp copper ultra gasket. I did not use the aluminum mounting plate either and just mounted it in the j-head manner so there is no need of a tube between the extruder and hot end. I mounted a smaller fan by one corner from the outside mounting screw that blows directly on the heat sink. No parts fan but getting fine results from all filaments from PLA to nylon. I don't use ABS, but have two rolls of ROBO ABS if anyone is interested in a fabulous deal (red, black, factory sealed)

17. Bradley

Bradley New Member

Anyone know the size and pitch of the thread for the top brass fitting. I would like to convert it to bowden. Kind of like this. Colin says its 6mm i just dont know the pitch. is it standard 1/8th
    [​IMG]

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It's M6-1.00

2 people like this.
  19. Bradley

Bradley New Member

I figure I should of trusted Colin from makerfarm. I just could not find any online with 1mm pitch. Sorry I'm new to the 3d printing scene

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It's very rare you come across fine thread metric parts. That's why they usually truncate the thread pitch like we use in ansi inch.

M8 coarse thread is 1.25 but it's possible to find it in 1.00 fine thread. In these instances the thread pitch is listed. If you see just M8 it means coarse threading.