1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered I need precision and speed. Upgrade the R1+ or build from scratch?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Rat_Patrol, Feb 1, 2017.

?

Should I upgrade, or build from scratch, or buy a "better" machine?

1. Upgrade

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Build from scratch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Spend more $$ on a commercial grade machine

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

I have an R1+. So far, I have upgraded to quality x and y rods, upgraded to premium bearings, and replaced extruder fans constantly.

I need a machine that can print 24/7 with speed, reliability, and as much accuracy as possible.

So, am I better off further modifying my R1+ with a bowden setup, better stepper motors (smaller step degree), stiffen the bed and new thicker glass, more powerful bed heater (I print in ABS), or building a machine from scratch.

I was thinking something similar to an ultimaker, where the build plate is the z axis, or perhaps the build plate is stationary. The models I print tend to get tall and skinny, so moving the build plate itself is less than ideal. I've compensated by slowing down the R1+ to about 2600mm/min to get decent results (and dramatically slashed jerk and acceleration values). Faster than that and there is too much distortion in the prints.

Would love some input. I do have a table-top CNC machine, so I'm not afraid to build from scratch if that is what it takes.

Thanks.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Rat_Patrol, @Geof runs some of his printers 24/6 and would have some great input. I like the idea of having a Core X/Y over something like the Mendel/Prusa design with a moving bed for some of the same reasons you mentioned. I lean toward the Ultimaker but as I mention, @Geof may have more to say on the subject.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey guys sorry a day late tot he party. I get the absolute best results out of the core xy/gantry style machines. Ultimaker, stacker, zortrax, sigma, ditto pro etc. My robo, though well tuned and heavily upgraded cannot compete with speed, accuracy and overall appearance of prints (but it does make nice looking prints). I'd go gantry.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

example of speed.... .25 layer height on my robo, 60-80 mm/s. .25 layer height on my ditto or ultimaker 80-100 mm/s. Ditto pro pushes 120 max mm/s so they arnt quite going full out but at a larger layer height getting close to max speed is A OK

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

So are you suggesting any particular printer, or build from scratch? I like saving money, but I need results in reasonable time. Is there such a website to guide with the construction?

6. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Not to say the ROBO hasn't been a good printer, of course, but am I better off buying a ready made unit, or dive into making one myself?

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

IMHO (and @Geof has his own) If speed and precision is your goal (and you have not done a printer from a kit or from scratch before) buy one.

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Buy one. If you go the route of designing and building one you will have far more money and more importantly time in coming up with a concept that works than if you'd just buy a machine that fits your needs.

By all means....if your looking for a project and time and money isn't a factor...building one is/can be alot of fun...but also alot of frustration

9. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Any recommendations? My max model height is about 200mm. I surely don't mind spending a couple hundred extra for a printer that is a workhorse.

10. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

If your end goal is to make income off your printer(s) then I would advise buying one with a proven record and GOOD support.

If you are a tinkerer who gets his enjoyment from building, modifying, adjusting, and experimenting than go for the build from a kit first and maybe try improving that later.

No printer (that's affordable by individuals) is a plug and play, sell and cash the checks ready.

Speed is the one factor everyone I show my prints to at work groans over. They get interested and ask lots of questions then they ask the inevitable question "how log did that one take to print?" The interest spark goes out right after the answer.

"Reasonable time" is still going to measured in hours most sometimes.

Ed Ferguson likes this.
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a hard time recommending 1 printer as I have many. All machines have a purpose and things they excell at and things they dont do so great. I'd suggest checking out the reviews on units and see where you come close to as far as wants/needs/price. Most machines that give me phenomenal results (for a FDM style machine) are quite expensive compared to the Robo.

I'm not saying I wont make suggestions based off my opinions, but I need alot more information about what you looking to do, run, materials, build size, budget, material size, etc.

mark tomlinson and Rigmarol like this.
  12. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Agree with Rigmarol -

If your intent is to make money, you are losing revenue while you design / build / debug the printer.

Whether for business or hobby, there is no guarantee your home brew printer will deliver the quality you're after.

If you have a bunch of parts laying around and like to tinker - go for it.

I've done a few machine shop CNC projects. My rule of thumb is to double your original parts cost estimate and multiply your original time estimate by 4.

Finally, when you're ready to upgrade again, a purchased printer will have a higher resale value than someone's garage project with the same $$ invested.

Rigmarol and mark tomlinson like this.
  13. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

I need precision of models that are mainly cylindrical, about 25mm diameter to approx 160mm high, but have a lot of geometry that has to be accurate. Since I've optimized my models to print to the absolute best of the ROBO's capability, they have lots of flowing, rounded edges. Lots of horizontal holes for screws and such, and I have modified the models to require minimal support. I have to print in ABS, no other material I have tested works as well for my application, or is as repeatable. I require the filament to be open-source compatible, no proprietary cartridges and such nonsense.

Since the models have a small footprint, I'd like to setup to run batches that last about 23 hours, so I have a daily routine of taking off finished parts, getting ready for the next run. Size of the unit is no concern, nor is noise. I would prefer a more sealed chamber, as temps can swing a bit in my shop, but I can deal with those swinging temps if need be.

Yes, I'm hoping to make money. I'd post a pic of the model I'm trying to print, but I haven't finished my DIY patent pending yet. The ROBO has done well at working my prototypes, but if I get into production, I'm going to 3D print the first couple thousand before dropping $150k on injection molding. I'm fully expecting to need a half dozen printers running 24/7 to keep up.

The ROBO has me tinkering with it constantly from breakdowns, and for mods that have to be done to get good results.

Price range for a "production" quality printer would be ideally $2000-$3500 per printer.

Of course, my idea (and the last 2 years of R&D) could totally fail, but I'm mere weeks away from finding out :D

ETA: The ROBO can now print in high enough quality where my first small run for beta testing will be done with the ROBO, albeit slowly. I'm sure a high quality unit will have no trouble, but the 200-300 micron accuracy of X and Y are killing me.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You said the no no word (abs).

The only machines i have that print abs well is the zortrax...i have 8 of them for abs materials (was more).

You may want to consider having someone do your printing for you if your talking thousands in abs. There is alot of work time and money put in to make production timelines and costs put of abs...trust me...it still hurts lol

Rigmarol likes this.
  15. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Oh, come on. Something must be good at ABS! Other than zortax. I was looking that one up, looks like the CS is practically non-existent. If I can tune the ROBO to print in ABS well, there MUST be something that can have better XY accuracy!

16. Ed Ferguson

It looks like you just need the 3D printers to act as a temporary "bridge" between your prototype and full production using injection molding.

Have you checked into the cost of having these first couple of thousand parts machined from a machinable plastic? Or cost of having a company 3D print them for you?

Unless you have an ongoing need for those printers, multiple 3D printers in the $2k - $3k range are going to leave you with a lot of unused capital equipment at the end of that limited run.

17. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Unless there is another material that is heat resistant (think left on the dash in a car in summer heat), chemical resistant, durable, can be threaded, and is available in a bright yellow/orange/red (safety) color!

18. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Yes, the parts cannot be machined, only 3D printed or injection molded, and the injection molding would be complicated molds (I was quoted about $60k in molds alone as the cheapest quote). Custom 3D printing was too expensive, putting the cost per model too high for re-sale.

Plus, I'm not printing them all up at once, I'll get a hundred or so ready, then start selling. That way I don't have tons of money tied up in inventory.

Yes, the 3D printing is a bridge between beta and injection molding, but I would have to setup my own injection molding "factory" to make them cheap enough in the quantity I need. The quotes I had come back for injection molding put me at about $250k for the molds, startup, and enough pieces to drive the cost per unit down.

I just don't have that quarter million lying around is the problem.

And to my amazement, the 3D printed part is STILL a LOT cheaper (about 10x cheaper) in materials and electricity than an injection molded unit @ 10k units ordered! What I can print for 50 cents in plastic, would cost me $5 per molded piece. The 3D printed parts are strong enough, durable enough, just...slow...

19. Ed Ferguson

Search for "colored delrin" I've machined it on my lathe. Holds tolerance very well and you can tap the holes. It's tough stuff. Often used for gears in products.

20. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Can't be machined (well, it could with a 5 axis, but it would be expensive), see above post.