1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Is there a comprehensive list of filament that the Robo 3d R+1 can use ?

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by BlackCalvinist, Jun 19, 2016.

1. BlackCalvinist

BlackCalvinist New Member

Just curious to see what my limitations are for buying and creating. :)

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Depends on what you want to do and if you'll need an upgrade to do it.

I was able to run everything but tpu/flex and super hot filaments (polycarbonates and the such). and had issues with filament over1.79 mm od.

I did the e3d and run everything I can find now.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The Hexagon hotend and firmware defaults are two of the limiting factors on a stock Robo3D (any version). The Hexagon for the reason that the bore through which the filament travels is only 1.82 mm so any ovalized or over-spec (1.75 mm is the nominal diameter) will have a difficult time running through the hotend. The Firmware is set to 270°C by default and may have issues with filaments that require close to that temperature to extrude, an example might be Polycarbonate as @Geof mentions. The issues with very soft filaments like TPU based are more related to the Greg's Wade Extruder that Robo uses and there are a number of threads here that can address that issue, it is related to how much support the filament has as it goes through the extruder.

Otherwise, you can print pretty much everything as long as you follow the guidelines usually listed by the filament provider.

Home_user and Geof like this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Exactly.
    There are a few very exotic filaments (and at least one flavor of nylon) that exceed the MAX TEMP of the stock configuration.

Home_user likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Geof likes this.