1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Lines on the bottom

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tim_thegreenbeast, Dec 3, 2015.

1. tim_thegreenbeast

tim_thegreenbeast New Member

When I print something on my Robo 3d printer, I keep getting lines on the bottom of my print instead of smooth surface. Is there any way to change that?

[​IMG]

#1 tim_thegreenbeast, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  2. Magnumr

Magnumr Member

can you upload another photo, seem like the above image link is broken

3. Kenneth Apthorp

I would think that if your z-offset is right, then it could be under-extrusion. I'd probably increase my extrusion multiplier first, see if that corrects the problem. Then do an extrusion calibration to make sure the correct amount of filament is being feed.
    I'm sure someone will chime in with better understanding of things.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

More top/bottom layers will likely help as well.

5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Are you using MatterControl? I got that with MC, but when I started using Cura, that all went away. Could never figure out why MC was doing it. Same Z offset and everything. Not looking back though. Cura is a good step up from MC IMO.

6. Magnumr

Magnumr Member

all my prints look like the above picture and I thought that was normal.. could some one post up a picture of what a bottom should look like on properly calibrated ROBO 3d machine.

7. danzca6

Here is a side by side of my calibration cube. Left is with MatterControl and the right is with Cura. I totally thought the same thing. I thought it was normal. I like the new results a ton better. Both have a .3 mm first layer and .2 mm layer height there after.

bottom.jpg

#7 danzca6, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  8. Magnumr

Magnumr Member

I still use Matter Control.. I haven't be able to figure out how to move the print head around manually in Cura.. like I can matter control.. plus all the setup guides i found are about robo r1 with auto level bed. I was thinking of purchasing simplify 3d since they now offer 2 week free trial and list Robo 3d kick starter as printer profile

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Simplify3D is a huge upgrade. Well worth it, just not cheap :)

10. danzca6

@Magnumr you have to enable the Pronterface UI to get the cool controls in Cura. you can send gcode, move axis, home axis, change temp of extruder or bed and all that using that interface. Once enabled, just click file -> print to bring it up. Won't print until you click the print button on the UI so you can play all you need to from there. If your KS doesn't have autolevel, I would think all you would need to do is just not put the G29 into the start.gcode. The dimensions of the build plate are the same right? You can actually save your gcode to a file from MC and look at the start and end gcode in the file to use as a good start in Cura. MK has a good writeup on getting things setup for Cura under Software. It's pinned. That is where I originally posted the pic above.

I hear awesome things about S3D. Almost bought it Monday...thought I did actually... @Printed Solid had a deal on it for Cyber Monday. I got it into the cart along with the promotional filament bonus pack but never hit complete I guess. Hard to find on sale or bundled. Oh well. It's on the list to buy still. I have heard that even the built in profiles may need tweaks. @PS has mentioned doing a webex or something on it sometime, but I know he is super busy. Like to see it in action more. Maybe if we get enough folks interested. From what I hear, I'm sure it's worth the money.

11. Kenneth Apthorp

I've noticed a lot of people like Cura. Free is great. I bought 3d simplify myself. Super easy and control is superb. I personally believe that calibrating your extrusion should be the first step. I postponed it for a long while. When I finally dived into things, I found I could have saved myself some frustrations. For my Robo, I went from the stock setting to 810 and had to re tweak things again.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What on earth is going on in here? He just needs to reduce his Z offset

Jaystephens3D and JustinRF like this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

14. danzca6

Sure? My z offset was the same in MC and Cura in my cubes above and got those gaps with MC. Both .3 mm first layer heights as well. The gcode had the same M565 command for both prints. I just know going to Cura stopped that gap line for me, but you might be right. I was just trying to help. :)

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

When you hear hoof beats, think horse, not zebra

JustinRF, mark tomlinson and danzca6 like this.
  16. Pergo

Pergo Member

Sounds like you need the XXL controller.. I live it.. I use Cura Exclusively have never printed from the PC ever.. all prints are from the SD card.

JustinRF likes this.
  17. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

I've adjusted my z offset using the Macros in MC and none of them resolved this same issue.

18. JustinRF

JustinRF New Member

I second on the controller. There are ones (labeled with [REPRAPGURU]) on Amazon, I have one, and it is AWESOME. I got the printer and even before first starting it put it on. Probably has saved me many a headache.

19. Pergo

Pergo Member

I have not figure out how to set Z-Offset using the XXL controller, It only allows a 0.50 or other positive Z offset. I always have to use a -1.2 through -0.07 depending on which nozzle I have in the machine.. (.25mm, .4mm, .8mm, 1.06mm [I drilled out a .8mm WONDERFUL])

Ideas? Comments

20. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Add it to your start up gcode and don't try to do it on the controller.