1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved M999 errors part way through prints.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Oisin, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Oisin

Oisin Member

Hi! I keep getting M999 errors at random points during prints. I got one 13 hours in to a 15 hour print. I haven't been able to finish a print for a little while now. I've checked the wiring and the thermistor is brand new. I have wrapped the heater block in kapton tape so no air can get to the thermistor. Could it be an issue with the firmware? I have only changed 3 things with that. I modified the thermistor the printer uses from 0 to 5 since my extruder is an E3D V6. I changed the max bed temp from 80 to 120 and I changed the max temp that the extruder can fall by before cutoff to 15 in an effort to fix this error.

Any ideas? Some people mentioned a bad connection to the ramp below the printer. I don't understand what is meant by that as everything down there seems to use pins rather than solder so how can short circuiting be the cause?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The M999 is not the error, but is likely raised (as a restart code) because of thermistor issues.
    That is common.

If this is caused by the thermistor readings jumping around then there are only a few possible issues...
    1) bad thermistor (cracked, defective in some way)
    2) bad/loose/intermittent connection between the RAMPS board and the thermistor (including a a poor connection to the RAMPS itself)
    3) Bad RAMPS board.

#3 is rare. #2 is the normal one followed by #1. Even though the wires at the RAMPS board are landed on terminal blocks they can be loose so sanity check them as well.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  3. Oisin

Oisin Member

Is there a possibility of it being anything else? I'll recheck what you suggested in the mean time.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No. I suppose at a reach you could have corrupted firmware, but that is more rare than anything and if that were true you would be seeing a lot of other weirdness. However if you really must convince yourself, reload the version you have now.

Terminal blocks have screws that clamp down and the printer (naturally) vibrates/shakes so you need to sanity check those type of connections as well.

5. Oisin

Oisin Member

I just unscrewed the ramps from the printer so I could get a better look. I couldn't find any evidence of dodgy connections. I unscrewed and checked each cable as well. After I put all that back together, I deconstructed the E3D. This time I left off the little screw that holds the thermistor in the hole and I just taped it in place instead. The thermistor wasn't visibly damaged and the legs weren't touching each other or shorting on the heater block body from what I could see. If I were to get a new thermistor, it'd be my 6th E3D thermistor and my 10th overall. The legs get rigid with the heating and cooling and they just snap right off with the movement of the printer.

Anyway, after performing those checks, I fired up the printer and this time I immediately got the m999 error. It happened right after the bed level section of the G-code just as the print would have started.

I used to get the occasional M999 error, but then it was only a single error and it said "MAXTEMP". This time, there is no "MAXTEMP", and the error keeps looping. Repetiers console keeps generating the error over and over. Not sure if that's important to mention.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. Oisin

Oisin Member

I've been through two of them. The legs stripped right out of the glue like substance that attached them to the stud.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then perhaps you over heated them? I can't imagine anything else that would make them fail.

I certainly haven't had an issue and I have hundreds of hours on the one currently installed.
    In fact, we are midway through a print batch now that will run 18 hours a day for the next 5 days
    (about 130 hours total). Each job is roughly 100 minutes..

Not unusual.

9. Oisin

Oisin Member

I don't think so. I never went above 210 with them since I was using them for PLA.

I'll buy another one and see how it goes then... Maybe it is the thermistor.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Measure the resistance with a multimeter.

11. Oisin

Oisin Member

Ok. What am I looking for, readings wise?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

At room temp (25c) 100kOhms pretty near.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  13. Oisin

Oisin Member

Ok I took some readings. I'm not 100% sure the setting I was supposed to put the multimeter on to get the correct read out so I took a picture of the reading and the setting. Hopefully you guys will be able to see the correct one out of the two I tried.

I just turned on the printer, exposed the metal legs of the thermistor and tested the resistance.

The pictures are attached.

Attached Files:

14. Oisin

Oisin Member

Any ideas? Based on my above post?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Are the metal legs insulated when you put it back for normal use?
    They should be.

16. Frankn

Frankn Member

Based on your meter readings, the thermistor is wrong. You are reading close to 200 ohms.
    It should read 100 ohms. I would accept down to 79 ohms.
    Just replace the thermistor and check the results.
    That's my guess. Frank
    c-06 088-io-1.jpg

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am sure you meant 100 K ohms, but otherwise yes...

18. Oisin

Oisin Member

The thermal tubing material provided frays whenever you take it out of the hole, so I'd imagine it probably isn't insulated anymore. It's sort of a one time deal. Get it right the first time or buy a new thermistor kit from E3D. It was insulated all the way through the errors it was producing, though so I doubt it was shorting on the heater block.

Can you tell me what I need to define in the firmware to make a stud thermistor work? Is it the same as the E3D?

19. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Stud thermistor is usually the same as thermistor 1 in the firmware, the E3D is thermistor 5.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and the stud thermistor is awesome.