1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonny's Robo3D

@WheresWaldo - I noticed that "PIDTEMPBED" is defined in configuration.h (Line 231) in RC3 - but it hasn't been in the prior versions. I'm wondering if that makes a difference?

I'm getting weird powers issues, like the printer slows down like it's not getting enough power and the LED's even blink as if they are about to shut off. I did all my basic modifications and PID tuning. To test I reverted to your settings and still the same issues. I reverted back to RC2 and it's back to normal.

I plan on going through the Marlins GIT to see all the changes they implemented. See if I can find where my issues are, but defining "PIDTEMPBED" stood out as it was a major difference in the last iteration.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Even the Marlin developers disagree on PIDBEDTEMP, although the majority are for it and say it works well. What it does is anticipate just how much power you need to keep the bed at a certain temperature rather than letting it go cold then hitting it with 100% power or too hot then shutting off power completely. PIDBEDTEMP, in my opinion is a good thing. There are quite a few small changes from RC2 to RC3, some of them make no sense at all, since when you get to release candidates, it should be 100% about fixing the last bugs and not changing or adding features.

Even though I am using RC3, my observation is that RC2 was actually more stable. Then they went and f'ed it up.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

FYI: I have one that the PID for the bed works and another that it does not. It won't succeed at getting the PID tuned for that one :(
    I am sure it is something not quite the same with the hardware, but I use that one seldom any more so I just don't use the PID for that bed. I'll try it again in a later build as well.

4. Wesotn

Wesotn New Member

Hi so my extruder fan no longer runs, even when I try to run custom G-Code along with putting slic3r at "Always On". Could that be because of this or do you think its a hardware problem instead of firmware?

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Likely hardware and not firmware. Unless you edited Configuration.h yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

On the firmware I'm running on the bigbox it has a "Bed Leveling" script where the nozzle moves to 9 points on the bed and you define the offset at each one, negating the need to run G29 each and every time.

Is this universal to 1.1.0? I think that would be a good justification for Robo to upgrade

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Marlin 1.1.0 does the same bed-leveling that 1.0.0 does, with improved code. It still uses G29 and the points must still be defined in Configuration.h.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Mine has an option in the prepare menu called "Bed Leveling"

I prefer it over the G29 nonsense

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Are they using Marlin? I cannot find a GIT repository for their firmware, if it's a fork they are required to publish. Once I see how they implemented their script, if it is more than just a menu choice, It might be addable to a Robo flavor of Marlin. Please note I am just talking about firmware here, I could care less if they ever publish their hardware design, although they do promise they will at some future date.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Mike Kelly, I just checked the firmware BigBox is using, they did not make any significant changes to 1.1.0 RC3, the Auto-Bed-Leveling routine is unchanged from the default Marlin firmware.

They did do a few things slightly different that might work better on the Robo, so I am experimenting with those really minor changes.

Edit: Just for you Mr Kelly, I added the beeping that BigBox uses and also did the Y before X homing. Just as an FYI BigBox is doing the same auto-level in the menu as Marlin does with a G29, that feature appears in the menu after you home axes and not before.

Changes in this version (please note it is still Marlin 1.1.0 RC3):
    • Menu selection on the LCD Controllers now beep when pressed
    • Enabled functionality in the menu hardware that was previously disabled
    • Homing homes the Y axis before the X axis
    • Changed fan control to software based PWM
    • Fan now starts at 100% then throttles down to the requested speed to insure reliable starts
    • Temperature ranges expanded slightly (should help with frequent temp errors during startup)
    This is setup for my printer which uses and E3Dv6 Hotend and TR8*8 lead screws, if you have a stock R1 or and R1+PLUS/Lead Screw Upgrade make the appropriate changes in Configuration.h. Please refer to message #128, #130 for more information.

#151 WheresWaldo, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  12. Thinkyhead

Thinkyhead New Member

Hi Robo3D people!

Be sure to keep reporting any issues you're having with RC3 on the main MarlinFirmware/Marlin project. (The MarlinFirmware/MarlinDev branch has diverged somewhat, so any bugs reported to that branch will not apply.)

I've been taking a break from Marlin for a couple months to give the development team space to figure out its new goals, processes, and priorities. Now that we're plunging headlong into 2016 and still don't have a 1.1.0 release, my mission is to shepherd the RC branch through to a final 1.1.0 release that we can all be happy with. This means:
    • Fixing all extant bugs in 1.1.0-RC3 reported by users
    • Incorporating bug-fixes from the MarlinDev branch, where possible
    • (Also porting any RC bug-fixes over to the MarlinDev branch)
    • Getting feedback from testers on a variety of machines
    • Maintaining the freeze on features and behavior
    So, please continue reporting issues on the Github issue queue for MarlinFirmware/Marlin, and I will do my best to address them in a timely manner. If you encounter a bug in MarlinFirmware/Marlin/RC, also check MarlinFirmware/Marlin/RCBugFix to see if the bug has been patched.

(Sorry for the absence of direct links in this post. I have to do 3 postings in this forum before links are allowed.)

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Thank you @Thinkyhead for you input. I have been following all the drama on the GIT repository. My goal here was to bring our particular printer current and I started with 1.0.3 moving through all the RC's. I know that there are a few of us using this particular version on our Robo3D printers and I am trying to make sure it works on all variants of that particular printer. It is a labor of love. Once 1.1.0 goes gold I will submit the configuration files needed for the Robo3D printers so that others may benefit also.

14. Thinkyhead

Thinkyhead New Member

Sorry for the "drama" around Marlin. I don't want to shake anyone's confidence in the project, which still has a lot of smart and conscientious people working on it. As you know, big changes were made in October that I felt required more consideration, and I was very annoyed that one developer could (or would) make sweeping changes in the middle of a release cycle (though I understand, for example, the inevitable need for a revamp of the project format). As you may know, I had spent almost a year cleaning up the code, revitalizing the project, writing documentation, etc., and I had become quite personally invested in the quality of the project. So, with much of my work being thrown out (e.g., configurations, the configurator, the marlinfirmware wiki), and with carelessness becoming all too common, I just had to step away from the project for a while.

So, I apologize for the extra cruft that ended up in RC3 while I was on vacation! I'm now beginning to work on Marlin again, but I will be limiting myself to finishing the 1.1.0 release. I haven't even tried to compile the new MarlinDev code, because I don't want to diverge from the rest of the community while trying to produce a release — one that I can feel some pride in.

Anyway, there's a small pile of issues in the queue, so I'm off to kill some bugs!

Tom Finzel and mark tomlinson like this.
  15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I finally figured out what the situation I was trying to understand is. They enabled a mesh leveling grid option for manual leveling, called manual bed leveling in Marlin. They only use the autoleveling on the Pro version because they advertised it in the kickstarter, but they actually prefer the manual method. If you look in the dual firmware you should see what I mean.

I'm definitely considering upgrading for that. Doing a mesh once would save some time on each print.

16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Mike, if you want to use Mesh leveling on your Robo, I will give you a Configuration.h that does just that. It's just a few lines changed.

Just rename the file to Configuration.h and overwrite the existing one. Don't forget to include your own PID numbers for both the bed and extruder. Auto-bed-leveling is disabled in this version and it is set up for a Hexagon/Full Graphics LCD Smart Controller/Default steps for TR8*8 Lead Screws/800 eSteps.

Attached Files:

17. James Harry

James Harry Active Member

@WheresWaldo , thanks for the work you did on this thread. I'm now running this thread, with the new zoffset and calibration with no issues. And I was able to hook up my little I2C OLED screen without much code change. Nice to know it's on a up-to-date codebase!

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@James Harry, can you upload the changes you made to get the OLED screen to work, I have one but got distracted by too many other projects to take the time to make it work.

19. James Harry

Mine uses the SSD1306 driver, so for it, I just had to uncomment this define:
    // SSD1306 OLED generic display support
    // ==> REMEMBER TO INSTALL U8glib to your ARDUINO library folder: http://code.google.com/p/u8glib/wiki/u8glib
    #define U8GLIB_SSD1306

And made sure the full graphic smart controller was commented out:
    // ==> REMEMBER TO INSTALL U8glib to your ARDUINO library folder: http://code.google.com/p/u8glib/wiki/u8glib
    //#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

The wire connect was simple, 5V, GND, SDA, and SCL right to the I2C connector on the RAMPS board. SDA is pin 20 and SCL is pin 21.

20. James Harry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.