1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

MatterControl Mod to allow saving of GCode

Discussion in 'Software' started by Beeedy, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Beeedy

Beeedy New Member

Hello!

I recently acquired a Robo3D printer and went to town getting MatterControl setup with all my personal tweaks and exotic filament settings. After getting tired of dedicating my laptop to the printer I decided to add one of the readily available LCD screens with SD card support. To my dismay, after installing the screen I found out MatterControl doesn't support saving of GCode. I am going to be honest, what kind of sick joke is that? Anyway, being too stubborn to switch to one of the other many available tools I decided to modify MatterControl to add in support for saving generated GCode, while at the same time fixing the slic3r engine that doesn't work in the mac client.

The patch is available on my github for anyone that may be interested: https://github.com/beeedy/MatterCrack
    Installation instructions can be found in the readme and were made to be as straight forward as possible, also this was written entirely in python so I recommend taking a look through the source if you have any concern or curiosity about what it is doing. I highly encourage making a pull request if you find something you want to fix!

Not sure if anyone still uses MatterControl besides me, but figured I would post this incase!

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. blu-wise

blu-wise New Member

@Breedy..

Not sure but this may be a mac issue only, I use mattercontrol (windows version) to generate most of my gcode and then export it to a directory on my computer. From there I can transfer it to my raspberry pi running octoprint.
    It is not a save function but an export function within mattercontrol to get the gcode after slicing file (see image below). I understand the mac interface may be different, but that would be very strange that the program would not allow you to export your gcode.

From the setting screen, press the back arrow on the left side of screen:
    upload_2016-1-25_9-53-14.png

Then select export and a popup window appears to export as gcode:

upload_2016-1-25_9-50-18.png

Again, this is for windows version, so it may not apply in your situation, but you came up with a work around for those using mac version, nice work.

Attached Files:

3. Beeedy

Beeedy New Member

Now I hang my head in shame. I remember looking in that menu but I must have done it before generating the GCode, DOH! Well thank you! I remember reading a thread about how exporting GCode had been removed and of course now I can not find it, I guess I am going insane. Maybe somebody will find this useful still as it can easily be adapted to allow other 3rd party slicers to be used, or more customization of slicer settings (trying to justify it now...)

Mike Kelly likes this.
  4. mh-tyler

mh-tyler New Member

Holy crap. I'm sorry you thought we were the bad guys and went through all this effort. We would never remove the ability to export G-Code.

For what its worth, MatterControl is open source and your contributions are welcome. If you have any suggestions about how to make the export function easier to find, we'd like to hear them.

#4 mh-tyler, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016