1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Max Temp for heat bed? 80??!!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by wthierry, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Yea my firmware didnt seem to limit the bed. Reality did. Without some sort of enclosure (see mods section) your abs WILL warp (under most real world circumstances) hell you can get some brands of pla to warp

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Depends on how recent your firmware is. I am running one from almost 2 years back -- no limits (or none that I hit).
    The newer machines have a firmware limit of 80 (or 85--I disremember).

As for the gluestick versus hairspray.. I think it will likely not matter much. Yes, I find that the hairspray seems to be a firmer grip, but not enough (IMHO) to prevent ABS, for example, from warping. Best way to do that is to add a cover.

3. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

So how do you change the firmware? When I print ABS at work (we have a makerbot and a couple lulzbot taz5's) I always have the bed at 115 and my prints turn out perfect. I've printed ABS on my Robo 3D with ok results at 110, but sometimes the machine will give me the temp error and just turn off the heat completely - aka I end up having to start over by the time I realize it. Just yesterday I had a print going great, I left for a couple of hours, came pack and 3/4 of the print was pulled up off the bed - so I had to stop the print. I'd really like to keep my bed hot for my ABS prints - so if you could explain exactly how to change that, I would REALLY appreciate it :)

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Edit the maxtemp setting in CONFIGURATION.H and then compile and reload the firmware:

#define BED_MAXTEMP 80

Change that to something else.

If you have a normal wire and a connector in-line with the bed heater power wiring you probably should not do that. The ones with the ribbon cables to the bed heater are fine. Those (like the beta units) with no connector and normal wires are fine too)

http://guide.robo3d.com/Wiki/ROBO_3D_Firmware_Release_Notes

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What printer do you have? Some it needs work to handle higher temp. If you have the new style r1+ bed with ribbon cables you adjust it in the config.h file.

6. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

It literally just happened to me again :) (I've attached an image to make sure I'm talking about the same error as everybody else)

Attached Files:

7. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

There are other threads on modifying firmware, but that's not your problem.. your problem is one of watts. The heater can't likely maintain that temp. A breeze goes by or material is laid down and it has an unrecoverable temp drop and fails (failsafe). Same for a loose nozzle heater or too big a nozzle diameter. Temp drops beyond set point safety and it will shut down. I've never looked for the code to override the failsafe.

Insulate/upgrade your bed.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, in this case she is exceeding the firmware limit.
    That error is triggered and the unit powered down when that happens.

9. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Oh.. that error... that's a firmware problem. Download arduino and the appropriate Marlin firmware for your printer. It's pretty well documented in the script what number is what.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

No fair, he added that while I was typing

Home_user, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The reason they added the lower limit (originally it was 110) was that they had some units with the connectors burn out the wiring at the connector. They then removed the connectors and switched to the ribbon cables which solved the problem. The old betas didn't have connectors and thus, no problem either.

12. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

I'm not a software person - so you may have to explain a little bit more - am i supposed to follow the "flashing the firmware" steps posted on the like you sent? Based on what I see, I'm supposed to download arduino, then download the autolevel firmware and this is where I'll change the max bed temp? Sorry, this aspect is very new to me! But I love to learn :)

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I had one unit with this issue (the connectors) because I did a bed upgrade early on for one of the betas and those early units had the connectors as well. I swapped the connectors for Anderson powerpoles rated at 30amp and no problems there on that unit.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

We need to know exactly which printer you have. I assume if the firmware is at 80c then it is an older R1 unit (not an R1+) but you have to know to get the correct firmware.

Geof likes this.
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes youll down load arduino. Then download the firmware for your printer. Open your firmware in the arduino go to config.h to make your max temp change. Then we can go from there :)

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

:)

Just to be clear : If you HAVE THE CONNECTOR in the power line to the bed heater you need to NOT change that temperature.

Not until you do some rewiring.

Geof likes this.
  18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thermal events are not good :)

19. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

So do I solve this issue in the same manner?

20. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

I have the Robo 3D R1, it has a ribbon cable to the bed.