1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Motors not working!!!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sarge5020, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

well if you have leveled everything then we need to get z height adjusted using the last step and that is to look at the print as it is being printed.

A few things first you should follow this rule when printing

Use skirt of at least two in your settings for every print and use it to determine if z height is properly set

If the skirt looks bad stop the print right there and do not continue until you re adjust things then you can restart the print.

This will save a lot of material and headaches down the road
    here is a pic of a good first few layers with some actual issues but they tell you something as well
    _first layer example.jpg
    In this image the outer most ring is the skirt it is made up of two skirt lines

IF you skirt does not look like this then your z height is not set properly even though you used paper as a guide

the best skirt is a flattened line of filament, flattened but solid as seen above

The single raised line you see just above to the lef tof thacircle is when I manually lifted the z axis while printing this by mistake and as you can see that line is relatively round and New people think that is what they are after and they are incorrect the skirt MUST be flattened slightly

so you you need to make a print and check out what the skirt looks like stop it right after the skirt if it looks bad just like the rule says

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

It can also be too low here is a picture of that pyramid2.jpg
    In this image the skirt is showing but you can actually see that it is translucent that is much to thin

It can actually be lower than that and give you intermittent blobs and everything alse so I need to see a pic of what is happening or maybe a VERY good description if it is on the low side

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

you can also see in these two prints one was done on blue tape and the other done on plain bed with just hairspray

things will change and be specific for you and what you like there will be other s that swear there is the best way but everyone's si the best way for THEM at that time

YOU can try what you want and if it works great that is how you decide get ideas from others but know that many go directly against each other ....welcome to 3d printing

4. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

I don't want to celebrate too soon but after readjusting the space between the print head and the bed, it started to print better. The first layer went down nice but subsequent layers are not building, they are just bunching up under the extruder. At least I'm making progress.

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok well send a pic of the skirt and I may be able to help figure it out

6. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

Well, the skirt didn't look too bad but when the head moved to the interior to start printing Mr. Jaws, the plastic stopped sticking to the bed. I'll post a couple of pics in a bit (have to feed my son supper). I'm getting close.
    Cheers.

7. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

Here are three pics of the issue. The skirt isn't too bad but when the head moves inside to start printing the object, the filament stops adhering to the bed.

Attached Files:

8. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

I tried hair spray on the blue painters tape and it helped a little. We try it again tomorrow.

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

ok to let you know that is tto high easy call when you know what to look for try lowering the nozlle a bit by adjusting the z stop screw probably 1/2 turn of the screw lower to start Make that SKIRT flatter

10. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

OK. I lowered the extruder head and the skirt is flatter. I replaced the painters tape again and applied hair spray. The extruder head temperature is 185C and the bed temperature is 0C. I placed Mr. Jaws into the program and sliced it. When the temperature reached the proper setting I ran the job. The skirt seemed OK but when the head moved inside the skirt to start the job, the filament did not stick to the bed well enough so that as the head made a second pass, the first pass moved. Here is a pic of the result. I ended the job as it was plain that things were not going well.
    Any ideas?

Attached Files:

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

believe it or not it still looks high to me and just for the heck of it remove the blue tape and adjust the nozzle lower

12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Let me see if I can maybe find pic or something to help

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

escher fishes brims and skirt 3.jpg here is my skirt from a print a few days ago that skirt is only two lines thick but you can see how much it is flattened
    don't be afraid to go too low as you can stop that too

Going too low either shows up as
    1. no filament is coming out at all ---> REALLY TOOO LOW
    2. filament skips ie nothing then a blob then nothing then a blob ----> close but still too low
    3. a flat line that seems to have edges but the center part could be missing or is translucent ----> very very close to correct

Good to go is flat but solid opaque layer

14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

the other part inside the skirt are the brims and they should look the same

comparitively yours lines are still way too high

15. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

So I lowered the head to the tape, the head temperature is 190C. I slowed down the speed by half. We're getting close!
    Here's is a pic of the latest try. If it weren't for the little blob in the corner of the fin, it may have turned out OK. The head caught on the blob and pulled Mr. Jaws off the bed.

Attached Files:

16. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok first of all we are getting close and we may be there it is a little hard because the pics are a bit blurry but I would loose the blue tape entirely some brand work well some don't sometimes oils in your skin can get into it and also make it not stick and if you check the forum there is a large group that swear by only glass and hairspray it can't hurt you know what to llok for in the skirt layers as to how flat they should be so I would take the next step and remove the blue tape, adjust and then print remember stop if the skirt is bad you don't need to waste filament past that point if it is bad.

In my case I bought one single row of blue tape and though it worked for a while I ran into issues with it as well and I tried everything eventually I tired the hairspray and it was night and day and sometimes I now have a hard time getting the print off at all.

17. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

I removed the tape and sprayed the glass with hair spray. I let the spray dry and started the print. The filament didn't stick at all! I'll go back to the tape and hair spray and try it again.

18. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

ok but did you lower the head remember you were adjusting it with the tape so if you took it off then it is definteily too high it needs to be lowered a lot at this point

19. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

20. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok try this put the nozzle on the heat bed no space and then see waht happens

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.