1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

My New Robo R1+

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by HankH, Dec 17, 2015.

1. HankH

HankH New Member

Well I finally took that step and purchased the R1+ and frankly cannot be happier or more impressed.
    Not being sure how much I wanted to invest in a new hobby, my initial foray into 3d printing was a pre-built Prusa I3 kit purchased for $200 off of Craigslist (3mm).
    I went with the R1+ partly because of the similarities in hardware between it and my I3 - the learning curve shouldn't be too bad and I figured if nothing else, my I3 could supply some spare parts.
    I suspect I was up and running my first print (Spool holder) within a few hours of unboxing - and it came out great - no tweaking, no leveling, nothing... just load and print.
    I am so jazzed that now I am looking at using the R1+ to upgrade and correct some of the shortcomings of my Prusa kit, instead of it being a spare parts bin.
    Thanks Hank

Sonny's Robo3D and Mike Kelly like this.
  2. HankH

HankH New Member

I am looking to print some backup parts for the R1+, just in case. I would also like to get a backup copy of the firmware that it shipped with. I could not find a complete set of plastic on Thingiverse (found an X-Carriage) or a link to the firmware on the Robo Support Site. Maybe I am just overlooking something... Can anyone point me to either of these things?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. HankH

HankH New Member

Hey Mark-- thanks very much for the reply. I saw the link on the wiki page and thought "maybe that's it" but the two big warnings at the top threw me for a loop ("if you have an R1+, do not update, contact support... etc"), so thanks for the clarification.
    I have done some searching on Thingi -- found gears and x-carriage, but not the X-ends or z-endstop holders; can't remember if I came across the extruder or not, will double check. I will give it the ol' college try one more time and then probably just try to re-engineer them.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The Gregs Wade extruder is all over thingiverse. Not sure if a Robo specific one is needed.

Z axis switch holders.. I like the ones in @Mike Kelly model: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:349935

Most of he original stuff is here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:69794/#files

But anything (like the bed and rails and autoleveling stuff) that changed with the R1 will be different.

However, like Mike's stuff (which includes how to do a bed upgrade yourself) there are models out there :)

6. HankH

HankH New Member

thanks again Mark. I wasn't sure whether the Extruder was specific to Robo. Appreciate the links... I like Mike's stuff - it was his carriage I printed out.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

When I last printed some Gregs wade parts I just used a generic one (I printed some spare gears and filament tensioner, etc. -- all of the printable parts for the extruder) and everything fits pretty well.

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I did the same thing. Generic wade prints. Test fitted and seemed ok

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. Rick Ross

Rick Ross New Member

Hi,
    Just purchased an R1 + and am upgrading to the v6 and the eruption pak. I would like to keep everything with the wires the way it is. My question is what is the name and size of the connectors used on the heater and thermistor wires?

help is appreciated
    Rick

10. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

For the fans and thermistor I believe they are just 2 pin JST connectors, and the black ones with clips/locks are waterproof JST connectors. Search Ebay. I had a bunch of both from my R/C stuff.

I don't think the heater has connectors..mine doesn't I wired it directly when I upgraded to an E3D V6. I can't remember if the stock heater had a connector or not.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ditto to what Kim said. I bought 13 sets as a group from Amazon cheap... I think under 10 bucks... Direct fit

12. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Yea now that I look at it the fans are Waterproof JST connectors like this. ( called waterproof JST on ebay but this looks like the ones on amazon )
    http://www.amazon.com/10Pairs-13cm-2Pins-Female-Connector/dp/B00MJVKKKI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1451542868&sr=8-8&keywords=jst+connector&refinements=p_85:2470955011

if you get the E3D V6 hotend and the stud mount thermistor from PrintedSolid, the stud thermistor uses regular JST's ..although they are white on the printedsolid stud thermistor..but these red ones are a direct fit.
    http://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Pairs-Female-Connector-Battery/dp/B00EZH8P9W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451542848&sr=8-3&keywords=jst+connector&refinements=p_85:2470955011

I "THINK" the stock heater core used the waterproof/black/clip style like the first link...but I didn't use any when I upgraded to the E3DV6 on the heater I just ran the new heater wires directly to it from the board the whole way instead of snipping wires.

I also got some heat shrink tube from harbor freight and soldered the connectors onto my new stuff. and when I installed a PLA cooling fan shroud from thingiverse my fan wires were too short so i soldred and spliced a new connector on my fan to make it longer. It was easier for me to do 2 solders and a new connector on the fan then splicing extra wires and doing 4 solder joints.

#12 KTMDirtFace, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015