1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved New lead screws, new ribbing.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Oisin, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Oisin

Oisin Member

Hi guys. Has anyone noticed a change in the type of ribbing they get since installing the new lead screws? With the old ones, the ribbing matched the thread of the screws, as expected. But this time it's more of a slight wave than anything. Any ideas as to what causes this? I've included a few pictures. The ribbing occurs all over the prints, not just inside the highlighted areas. I just chose those areas because it's where the ribbing shows up best on my potato cam.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Over extrusion perhaps?
    Calibrated extruder?

3. Oisin

Oisin Member

I calibrated it properly but if I set the extrusion multiplier to 100% I get breaks on prints with domes. If I set it to 110% they print correctly. Is that enough of an overextrusion to cause this problem?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would say yes, but I don't have that issue with Domes.
    Which slicer are you using? I assume you have tried multiples?

5. Oisin

Oisin Member

I use Cura. I've tried Skeinforge, MatterControl, Slic3r and Kisslicer. I never used to have an issue with domes either. Honestly this printer just does whatever it wants and you just have to hope it decides to be nice on any given print.

I'll try a print with the lower extrusion percentage and see if the ribbing goes away. I spoke to a Robo3D support person on Skype and they said it might be a bent rod. Doesn't look like it is but if that turns out to be the case hopefully I won't get charged import tax on a replacement like I was when I bought the "upgrade".

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No. Once you get it setup and tuned it is really quite repeatable.
    You will occasionally run into issues (belts need tightnening, rods need lubrication, bearings going bad) but that is true will any machine.

7. Oisin

Oisin Member

I think me and my 1500 euro (and growing) paperweight will have to disagree with you on that one, Mark! But I'll keep trying. Hopefully it's an extrusion issue.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You will gain the expertise to work on it as you go.

Get them to swap whatever they find bad for starters.

9. Oisin

Oisin Member

I'm a year in. I'm not a novice with it anymore and I'm out of warranty unfortunately!

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

11. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Don't you mean Wobble Screws:), I have this same issue with the new lead screws, but only really see it with the white filament, im sure its still there with the other colors but also think some of it has to do with the heated bed, A good way to find out is to print a test piece without the bed heated and see the outcome. Also How fast are you printing?

12. Oisin

Oisin Member

Yes both screws wobble slightly when I look at the top of them. The old ones did too, and far more, but didn't create a z-ribbing pattern like this one. It's not terrible, but it isn't acceptable either. I actually never use the heated bed. I leave it cold and PLA still sticks to tape very well. I tried it on once and it warped the bottom of my print. I print at 25mm/s.

13. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Very interesting, well I guess next step is calibrating the extruder.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would say so. Mine has zero ribbing of any flavor with the lead-screw replacement.

Not that the other one has much either, but my old beta never did have much. Probably because I had a broken leadscrew when it arrived and I seized the couplers up with SuperGlue to fix it. They were just not 'flexible' much after that :)

15. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

My last set I had a bb in the bottom of the HC, then wrapped tinfoil around the screw then set it in the coupler loaded with superglue, it was perfect. but still had slippage after awhile the glue broke down, hence lead screws to the rescue, NOT.

16. Oisin

Oisin Member

Every problem I post gets that video as a response, lol. I know it off by heart by now. My extruder is calibrated. The leadscrews seem to be an expensive downgrade for a lot of people!

17. Oisin

Oisin Member

So is the only way to correct the problem to wait for replacements to be shipped from the U.S. to Ireland?

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You could order steppers with integral lead screws from other places.
    You would need to sort out what the Z steps/mm would be based on the motors and lead screws you end up with. The RepRap calulator would help you sort that out.

http://prusaprinters.org/calculator/

use the one:
    Steps per millimeter - leadscrew driven systems

19. Oisin

Oisin Member

Is there a way to fix it without spending that much more money? This printer is more of a kit than a functional printer. Could I pin the tops of the rods to stop them wobbling. It'd be hard though since I've removed the top cover.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The wobbling is not causing the problem.
    Not even a little. It has to do with the way the lead screws, couplers and motors are integrated. There is a long a well detailed thread on the Z ribbing. If you want more details I suggest you wade through it :) @Ziggy did wealth of research on this.

The best you can do for cheap would be to replace the flex couplers with solid ones, but your mileage may vary on that solution as well.