1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NinjaFlex filament

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Melody Bliss, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Printrrnoob

Printrrnoob Member

Is this with the Hexagon hot end?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It really shouldn't matter.

3. lele

lele New Member

Has anyone had the same problem as me?

I just purchased my robo 3D R1 and am attempting to print ninjaflex. Without any modifications it prints somewhat well but than gets jammed or tangled ( I assume as when i pull out the filament it is all wavy). I tried to do the pen tube mod however the whole under the hobbs bolt seems to be too small to fit any type of tubing... i have tried several pens and mechanical pen tubes but nothing with a wide enough diameter for the filament will fit in the whole leading to the hot end... (stock print head).

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this also want to know if it woud be alright to slightly enlarge the whole my dremel or something...

Thanks

4. Printrrnoob

Printrrnoob Member

I don't believe it goes in the hole. I think it just goes to the opening. I definitely wouldn't enlarge it if I were you.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can enlarge the hole a small amount. A pen tube would be about right or use some 1.75 PTFE (4mm od, 2 mm ID)

I ran the tube all the way down into the cold section of the hotend and above the hobbed bolt (with a small notch in the tube for the hobbed bolt to work).

6. lele

lele New Member

Yes thats what i would like to do! But the whole seems smaller than other printers...

Attached Files:

7. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

Yes the proper way to insert the guide tube is to us a drill bit and enlarge the hole so the tube slides all the way to the nozzle. Remove the two screws on the side of the extruder and unplug the heater and thermister. Remove the nozzle run the drill through . This way the plastice shavings fall out and dont stay in the hole causing issues and you can not damage the top of the nozzle. Reassymble and install your tube to bottom of hob bolt.

8. lele

lele New Member

Alright thank you so much!
    So i managed to make the tube fit and it does exxtrude.. however one thing i am noticing and that is causing problems is that there is a substantial delay from when the gear turns for extrusion and when the actual filament comes out....
    My extruder temp is 230C.

Is this normal with ninja flex or am i doing something wrong?

9. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

That doesn't sound normal to me, but if you're getting good prints, who cares about normal :D

Are you getting good prints? If not, let's try to figure out what is going on.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It can build up a bit of a lag. This s sort of what I meant when I said it will continue to extrude after the extruder stops pushing it.
    The skirt should keep it from mattering on the model start and just have the extrduer move clear when finished and that will fix the finish.

11. lele

lele New Member

Alright i think its almost there... but the ninja flex will sometimes print smooth layers but also sometimes the ninja flex comes out in litttle blobs... I have tried different temps but still happens. Could this be happening since my guide tube doesnt go down to the cold end? It only guides to the begging of the hole.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Tough to say. I would make the tube run all the way to the coldend.

13. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

.6 nozzle helps ninja flex flow quicker. .4 works ok

14. Donald Neglia

Donald Neglia New Member

Hi
    I'm a noob to 3D printing and would like to know how do I remove the nozzle for cleaning and replacement? Any help would be a great help..Thanks! Robo R1 3D printer

#134 Donald Neglia, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  15. NeuralChris

NeuralChris Member

Wow, so we have to drill out part of the extruder assembly to use NinjaFlex? I figured since it was a direct drive it'd print fine. Guess I'll give the PTFE tube a try first and hope to god that works as I don't feel comfortable drilling out the metal.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not a certainty. Mine fit fine with no modification.
    Check yours and see. Worst case you are enlarging the hole in the (plastic) case where it feeds the extruder cold end a tiny amount.

17. NeuralChris

NeuralChris Member

Yeah I've been trying to print with it this morning, but it seems to be bending after the hobbled bolt and then stops extruding. I bought a tiny airline coupler from Petco which is small and it's internal diameter is perfect for the NinjaFlex, but now I'm guessing I have to pull apart the entire print head assembly to get it down underneath the hobbled bolt right? Are there any guides on the quickest/easiest method of doing this? I'm afraid of screwing this thing up.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Those two spring loaded screws are all that needs to be touched.

Remove them, open the feed and add the tube.
    Put them back when done.

19. NeuralChris

NeuralChris Member

Actually, I went back and re-read and figured out that people were talking about the ink tube, not the pen tube itself. Found an empty-ish one, cleaned it out a bit and was able to stick it in there without having to pull anything apart. Turned the extruder a couple of times to score the outside and used a razor blade to cut open a hole. It seems to be feeding the filament perfectly now!

Now the question is, should I leave this tube in place when printing PLA or other materials? It won't hurt anything right?

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It won't hurt, but your call. I just open the feed and add the tube on flexi filaments.
    Then again, I always open the feed to change filament anyway.