1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Not a hobby for beginners, if new please reconsider

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by John in MS, Nov 15, 2015.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Printers assumes it actually prints, you don't call the baker who uses a piping bag a printer, and this works exactly the same way. (in the most simplistic definition)

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Then you'd have legions of angry Star Trek nerds being mad about it not living up to that fictional depiction.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Snort. Bring it on.
    I'd rather deal with a convention of angry Trekkors than someone else complaining about their printer not being Plug_n_play.

(A Trekkie would get the joke and simply complain about the missing voice control)

4. Wayne Baker

Wayne Baker New Member

I read up on things before I made a purchase, I read negative reviews and decided that problems people were having could be either fixed or might be operator error. 3d printers are built to a price point that requires compromise, if you want all the best components available from the start, expect to pay much more.

You said you had electrical problems, the electronic parts are all standard off the shelf parts, I am sure Robo was not trying to buy parts that would fail in 48 hours, there will always be parts that are not up to spec, that is what warranty is for. Even big companies have problems with bad parts from time to time. The original poster saying they didn't know what G codes were after a month strikes me as a perfect example of a user not willing to learn and who should have done his homework before even deciding to buy a 3d printer or not.

mark tomlinson and Mike Kelly like this.
  5. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

You're forgetting the mechanical problems. Flawed sheets of glass and cracks in the molded plastic parts, bent lead screws, etc.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

This is just downright... logical.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Those are all faults of having them shopped overseas. I don't think they are paying for significant QA.

8. Kenneth Apthorp

I still say Robo is the best starter/ learning printer for the money. I especially like I can mod the crap out of it for cheap. I've never had an issue with mine out of the box. As for the marketing, they all do the Capitalist thing, "what ever it takes to make you believe and spend". Just ask one of the thousands of commercials daily wanting your money(cheap from china). More often then not, you receive a product less than your hard earned money valued by your labor. It is the reality of the world today, we accept it and are okay with this expectation. It's called making a profit. My house is full of failed promises of performance,quality and profiteering. But I gotta admit, my Dremel tool and Epson wireless printer have worked flawlessly from day one.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If it's beach adjacent I might be in lol :)

10. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

The more I think about it, the more the Robo3d seems like many beloved classic cars. The designer puts their heart and soul into making something, with visions and dreams of perfection. Then, after a while it becomes clear that while awesome, there are a few issues that crop up. Those who share the dream tinker and fiddle until a solution is found. Those who just want it to work ask the more knowledgeable for help, and with a little frustration get back on track; Some of them will move towards the tinkerer's way of thinking, and some will become disheartened and become frustrated. Other people feel the initial frustration and never get past that point. It may be that they didn't expect the effort it takes, or that the marketing doesn't match the reality. Maybe they just don't have the skills, time, or inclination to fiddle, but they are left feeling put out.

In the end, none of the groups are wrong. It's understandable that the Robo team had to move into retail. It's just as understandable that some will want and expect a machine that is plug and play. Different people expect different things. Sometimes the smallest problems can feel insurmountable, that's why the Robo community is so valuable. Given the chance, a solution will be found to almost any problems, and frustration can turn to elation.

11. Gabriel Moore

Gabriel Moore Member

I was a beginner 3 weeks ago when my Robo3d arrived. I had dabbled in 3d design on the pc and WAY back with an Amiga 500 running Imagine. I understand 3d design, but I have no clue on how to setup or run a 3d printer. I purchased the Robo and set off to print. 3 or 4 prints came out, for what I thought, Awesome. Then I had problems with printing in the air. A screw came loose and the right side z access brass nut was not tight. I tightened everything up, hand screwed the lead screws to the bed, did the paper calibration, and was off printing "Awesome" again.

A week later, I bought a XXL LCD. Installed it with no problems. Printed off an SD card and thought, this is great.
    Purchased some Algee PLA from Printed Solid and printed a Creeper from Minecraft for my son.

A week goes by, I have auto Home issues. I researched, fixed and started printing again.

A Month later, I have 8 spools of filament now, i'm learning Tinkercad, I downloaded Blender and playing around learning custom 3d building. I am still a beginner. I don't understand slicing fully. I still find new tips and techniques every day. My first print that I thought was so awesome, I first printed at .25 mm layer height. I just reprinted that same creeper in Algee at .1mm - Now that looks awesome, but when I got the printer I had no idea beside hitting Fast, medium and quality. and i'm sure in a few weeks i'll learn new things and reprint it again and it will look 10x better still.

Take some time and research the hobby and you will understand it more.

mark tomlinson and Printed Solid like this.
  12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Gabriel Moore I might make a suggestion, Tinkercad is just okay, download and install Fusion 360, also from Autodesk. It is free for personal, academic and small entrepreneur use. Blender is much better for 3D models that are to be displayed on screen, it is less than ideal for printing.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. Gabriel Moore

Gabriel Moore Member

I'll look into that. Thanks for the heads up. I really like tinkercad for the fact that my 13 year old son and 10 year old daughter both have been able to watch the how to videos and have made key chains and other little trinkets.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Tons of videos on Fusion 360 and it is a real parametric CAD program, kind of like the big college brother of the elementary school 123Design. On Autodesk and Youtube.

One last personal opinion on Parametric modeling versus visual modeling ala Blender. If you are only printing out knick knacks or items that are stand alone and do not need to interact or interconnect with other items, Blender may be for you, If you want to render the parts for display on screen, Blender may be for you. If you must guarantee dimensional accuracy then something more akin to Fusion 360, Solidworks, FreeCAD, OpenSCAD, TinkerCAD, 123Design, RhinoCAD, etc. might be better choices. Choose one based on feature set and ease of learning and availability.

This is why I always mention Fusion first over SolidWorks, Fusion 360 = Free / SolidWorks = Small Mortgage. I am not a big fan of the web-based CAD programs TinkerCAD, ONShape, etc.

#54 WheresWaldo, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    Gabriel Moore likes this.
  15. Gabriel Moore

Gabriel Moore Member

Tinkercad does fit the OP statement of not for beginners. As a beginner, I was able to create a basic business card holder and bring it to print in less then 30 minutes using only tinkercad and matter control connected thru usb.

I don't agree that the robo3d is not for beginners. I was told a long time ago when I started building plastic models that I shouldn't get XXX brand airbrush, because it's not for beginners. You need XXX brand to understand the basics. I ended up with a high end Paasche airbrush that clogged up when I was painting models. Till I read and understood how to mix paint correctly. Now, 25 years later I still have a great airbrush I learned to use, take apart, clean correctly and use the correct way, it still gets clogged up from time to time, but thats not the fault of the airbrush, it's usually because I rush, don't check things over and just assume that because it was working right the last time there is no need to check it over.

I'm not saying the robo will last 25 years, but if it does, ill make sure to come back to this forums and post here! ;)

Chuck Erwin and Mike Kelly like this.