1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Outsourcing mods to R1 Plus for $$$

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Terry Reilley, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Hi everyone,

I've had my R1 Plus since Christmas and have already been bitten by the modification bug. Problem is, I'm a little timid of doing it myself. Is there anyone here who has modded the [insert favorite word] out of their printer SUCCESSFULLY and would be interested in doing this for mine? Yes, I would pay for everything.

So if you're not interested, read no further!

If you're interested, have done these before, and can complete the mods in a reasonable amount of time, then I am looking to swap the stock extruder for an E3D v6 or better yet, dual extrusion (preferably without losing build volume). Open to suggestion here.

My goal is to be able to easily print with flexible materials, such as NinjaFlex and the like, without the frustration of trying to load the filament. Dual extrusion also appeals to me for color options and using different support materials. I'm new to this 3D printing journey and am loving it, but while I'm handy at more than a few things, I'm no engineer and would prefer to outsource the mods to someone who knows this printer inside and out and knows how to make these changes without damaging/killing my printer in the process.

Again, I will pay for parts/labor/shipping (round trip). If you want to email me, you can reach me at TRDrum@gmail.com. I'm open to other mods too, so please make suggestions!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good luck.

If you have a local makerspace you can probably get all of the assistance you could ask for :)

If you were local I'd suggest you swing by and learn how to mod it (just bring refreshments).

Lots of folks on here have done this so someone may be interested in helping you out.

WheresWaldo likes this.
  3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I could help you out but I'm sort of in Mark's camp. I think it would be ideal for you to break that seal on your own :) Especially if you could find some local maker group. That way should something go wrong you're equiped to deal with it.
    These 3 things are a little at odds with each other. Going dual without losing build volume is possible, but you would preferentially use a bowden setup for this, meaning flexibles are more difficult. It is theoretically possible to do something like a hybrid extruder where one of the extruders is on bowden and the other is direct, giving you one extruder to print flexibles from. If you want dual flexibles then you stand the risk of losing build volume