1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved PETG warping on large parts.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nathanfish, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I have been fighting with this since i got my printer and cannot figure it out. All of my large prints are pulling up on the corners a few hours into the print. Sucks to have a long job look good until 5 hours in. I've tried glue stick, different bed temps (60-85 degrees) I eventually used a sheet of PEI but it stuck too good and i couldn't get my last print off. Now i'm back to printing just on glass and i'm looking for some suggestions. There has to be a way! Here's a pic.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

hmm i might have to try that. I might end up trying out PEI with gluestick too. I think i tried heating the bed up hotter but it seemed like it broke down the glue stick too much and just burned it off.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Glue stick is OK, but the wolfbite is a chemical bond for those filament types.
    They have one for PLA as well, but I have never used it.
    Frankly I print ABS almost never anymore and seldom use the wolfbite either :)
    But I did test it with ABS and PETG -- it worked fine.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Don't forget that the Tg of PETG is just over 90°C so you likely don't want to exceed that as a bed temp. Print with a rather large brim, the bigger the print the wider the brim.

6. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

That wolfbite looks promising but it comes out to $30 shipped for a 2oz bottle. seems a little steep. I printed the last one with a 7 layer wide 2 tall Brim and it didn't have any effect on it warping from my last one. go with an even bigger brim? I think i'll try another piece of PEI tomorrow night with glue stick on that and see what happens.

7. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Found it on Amazon for 19.99 free 2 day shipping so went ahead and ordered it from there. we'll see how well i can get it to work.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, the bottle is tiny, but ... a little bit goes a long way.
    You brush a very light coat over the print area. Refresh it occasionally.

9. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I should have it Tuesday to mess with all weekend. If it works then i really don't have a problem paying it. Now, does this for sure need heat to work? I'm still waiting on my new heaters to come in so right now i'm stuck with the 8"x8" stock heater on a 14" long bed. Do i even attempt to print something past the heated surface or should i just wait until i get my new heater? I'm tempted to try it but nothing is worse than a warped print i have to trash and try again. I already ruined a print yesterday morning that was 17 hours in by messing around with simplify3d and it crashing..

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can try it if you have a (smaller) test print you want to experiment with.
    I don't think the WolfBite requires heat to work, but the filament still wants it.

17 hours is too much time invested for a 'test' :)

I wouldn't suggest investing a lot of time (or filament) into it w/o the heated bed.

Also, prints that long I always run off of the SD card rather than let any other software be 'required'.
    Simplify can kick-off and monitor a print launched from the SD card.

11. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Yeah I was pretty pissed when it crashed, still had 10 hours to go. I thought i would be able to restart it from where it left off but it lost all my processes when it went down. I've never ran anything off the SD card because i always tweak my speeds once i get it running, so you can adjust the speed from the SD card? I didn't realize simplify could monitor a print like that. I'll have to give it a try. I've gone through 20+ spools of PETG and that was pretty much the only hiccup i've had software wise so i've just stuck with it.

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Nathanfish You also might want to wait for the new heater pads. The Robo with it's undersized and underpowered bed heater can be a contributing factor as different parts of the bed can have drastically different temperatures. This of course, will only show up on prints that take large areas of the bed,

A better test for Wolfbite would be a very large (in area) model that is just an inch or so tall and maybe printed as a vase, that way you can test adhesion without using a lot of filament or wasting a lot of time.

VASE prints with a single perimeter and no infill, just set the bottom layers to your normal amount, as I believe VASE mode, in most slicers, sets bottom layers to 1 by default.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Indeed. A larger flat plate style would be perfect.

Yes, Simplify can monitor a print launched from the SD card -- if you want to disconnect S3D in that case you pull the USB cable :)
    No harm, no foul. If the PC crashes it will not affect the print either even if monitoring, but you can't just shutdown Simplify...

14. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Cool, that might be something to try eventually. I still haven't heard when my heaters will be here or if they've even shipped yet. Hopefully by the end of next week i'm hoping.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

It took exactly two weeks from order to delivery to the US East Coast.

16. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

I have had good luck printing petg at 80c on the bed, as long as the first layer is good, never have problems with warping at all. I use esun brand. Start on your first two layers at 250-255c then drop it down to 245 on the 3rd layer, seems to give really good adhesion.
    Waldo is right, the heating bed is not optimal and has a lot of dead spots, a new bigger heater would help prints from failing from warpage.

17. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I have been printing the first two layers at 240 and dropping down to 235 after that. Also Esun PETG. I'm getting good results at 235 but maybe i'll try to bump up the first two a little bit higher. Bed around 80 and none of my parts lately have been sticking out past the heater. The wolfbite should be delivered today so i'll see how that does. I don't understand because one time i can have great results and the next it will warp up with the exact same settings. I had problems with it sticking too well printing straight on PEI but i have a couple more sheets to use so i might try to experiment with that after i try to print directly on my aluminum bed with wolfbite. So many variables.

It also seems to happen when my parts get past .75" tall or so. I can print short stuff with usually no problems but as soon as it gets taller it just pulls up off the bed.

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Nathanfish I use those same setting almost exactly. 240°C first layer 237°C after that, bed at 80°C fan on after layer 3. Try a tall print in VASE mode, as I mentioned before, it is almost always very fast and only uses a very small amount of filament compared to a regular print. You don't actually have to print anything in it's entirety, just enough to see if warping starts in the usual places. What I find is that you can visibly see that the corners have pulled up through the brim if you are using any of the eSUN translucent PETG filaments. Also sharp corners have a tendency to pull up more so than round corners.

19. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I'll try something in vase mode tonight. I usually design everything i print with a radius where i know i will have a problem, i'm sure it helps a bit. My thought was that it always seemed like the more material it was laying down the more warping i would have. A lot of the stuff i print is 100% infill so there's a lot of filament heating and cooling at different levels above it causing it to pull up. Printing in vase will definitely give me an idea if that is the cause of the problem or not. I should be going home to a bottle of wolfbite so maybe that will solve all my problems forever.

20. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Epic failure on the first test of wolfbite. Let the bed cool down and applying twice as much to give it another shot.