1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Poll - Have you chipped your glass bed and wondered why?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Rigmarol, Feb 9, 2017.

?

Has your glass build plate ever chipped?

1. No.

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Yes.

21 vote(s)
    65.6%
  3. Yes but I dropped something on it or otherwise made a mistake causing it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. If Yes, I tried removing my work right after it finished with NO COOLDOWN?

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. If Yes, I waited for the build plate to cool completely down before removing my work?

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. If Yes, I used a metal tool to help remove my work?

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I was wondering if others chipped their build plate (bed) the same way I did.
    I believe I chipped mine because the work was taken off too soon and the bed didn't have a good cool down period. I used the paint scrapper that came with my printer.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Borosilicate glass has a tendency to chip, it is nothing specific to Robo.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Depends on the filament you're printing with.

Certain flavors of PET are notorious for pulling chunks of glass out of glass build plates if the bed is allowed to cool too rapidly after a print is finished (this is why Taulman recommends having a line in your ending Gcode to leave the bed at 35C until you get around to removing the print).

RichRap has multiple videos on the subject and a couple of experiments where he tried different protective coatings on glass and evaluated how well they worked.

EDIT: This assumes people aren't being given some of the older R1/refurbished R1s that had flawed glass beds that would simply crack and shatter over the course of several heating cycles.

WheresWaldo likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

i always remove hot. The printer has to run so I dont let it cool down. multiple chunks missing but from special filaments like PETG and XT(all the normal for them). Then once its chipped pla with pull up pieces too.

:D stupid glass

Rigmarol likes this.
  5. Spidematt

Spidematt Member

mine chipped and i was under warranty so i got a replacement but i have used a glue stick to fill in the chip and not having any issues going to try some epoxy next time got some clear epoxy at auto store I would think it could handle temp it is made for glass

6. Luke W

Luke W New Member

I pulled off some chunks after using too much Wolfbite to hold down my ABS. Robo gave me 1/2 off a replacement (warranty-ish) and I bought another spare just in case. Glad i did.

It seems best to brush on a small amount and apply while the bed is cool as it warms. Keep spreading until it dries to get a thin even coat. You shouldn't even notice the coating there but for the texture being slightly grippier when warm; kind of rubberyish.

After chipping my second bed, I now apply water to the warm[ing] bed in the same manner after the Wolfbite has dried to be doubly sure of a thin and even coat.

Between prints I just "refresh" the coating with another brushing of water, and don't reapply Wolfbite before a good "scrubbing" with water and paper towel, followed by Alcohol wipes. I have no idea if the alcohol wipes do anything more than the water, but I have a glut of them (I used to use hairspray on the bed) and it feels safer to use them than not.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No issues on the Robo with adhesion, but we had to use the WolfBite on the delta (WolfBite Nano to be precise).
    It can be a really strong bond to the bed :)

8. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

I'd like to replace it, but apparently Robo stopped offering them a long time ago.

9. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Have you called them?
    Don't go by what they show online.

10. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

Ok, I didn't think to try that. :) I guess I will give that a shot.

11. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

Does Robo (or anyone else) anneal their glass? Any time you work glass you put stresses into it. Annealing makes the glass much stronger by allowing those stresses to relax. I am tempted to get a replacement bed made and have it annealed just as an experiment.

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Borosilicate glasses are known for having very low coefficients of thermal expansion (~3 × 10−6 K−1 at 20 °C), making them resistant to thermal shock, more so than any other common glass. Such glass is less subject to thermal stress. It expands and contracts at a much lower rate than soda-lime glass and is not as susceptible to cracking problems, even when cooled quickly without kilning. This is why borosilicate is used in the scientific industry as well as for some cookware. The annealing process is generally used to make the glass more stable during transitions in temperatures and is performed at the time of glass creation. Borosilcate glass by its very nature does not improve with respect to thermal stress with annealing. There is no indication that annealing will decrease the propensity for Borosilicate glass to chip when used in the capacity of a glass heated bed.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can replace the glass with other alternative materials -- some types of aluminum are popular (and it has better thermal properties than glass in general)

14. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

I work glass, specifically borosilicate.

The chipping problem is not temperature, it is stress. I can plunge boro straight into the torch without preheating, which is rather a bit more aggressive heating and cooling than you'll see on a robo.

Not knowing how these glass plates are made, beyond the standard float process, it's very unlikely that they were annealed.
    That means that there will be regions of high internal stress. Not a problem for most float glass applications, but with a cooling part shrinking and pulling on the glass, the additional stress can cause chipping.

http://www.simax.com/en/section/32-simax-glass-mass.html
    SIMAX Glass Annealing
    Annealing represents a thermal process, the purpose of which is preventing the formation of undesirable and unadmissible high thermic stress inside glass, which could decrease the product resistance, and, eventually, removing the already formed stress.

Obviously not a native english speaker, but there it is. Removing the already formed stress from the initial work, allowing more margin for other stresses before fracture.

In better english from Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annealing_(glass)

"Annealing of glass is critical to its durability. Glass that has not been properly annealed retains thermal stresses caused by quenching, which indefinitely decrease the strength and reliability of the product. Inadequately annealed glass is likely to crack or shatter when subjected to relatively small temperature changes or to mechanical shock or stress. It even may fail spontaneously."

I've seen spontaneous failures, even in a common shot glass. Sitting on the counter, I happened to be standing there. "Ping" and it's cracked in two pieces.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Thank you for the additional insight, I do think that unless you have the ability to do this yourself the additional costs associated with annealed glass take it out of proportion to the cost of the printer in general. There are better things to make the bed out of and they are cheaper too. The most common of which is Aluminum Plate, even machined tool plate (such as MIC-6 among other name brands) will make a better bed than Borosilicate glass at much less expense. Since you are in that industry I could see why you might want to experiment, but for all practical purposes we either have to rely on Robo for the bed or source other materials, considering the cost of the bed, that consideration becomes a very high priority and Aluminum is a known quantity in the 3D printer space, where as annealed Borosilicate glass is likely not.

I would love to see the results of such an experiment, as well as a summation of all the factors involved in a replacement bed

16. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

Pretty much the opposite of annealing:

Note that the high apparent strength is from the HUGE compressive forces caused by the internal stress from rapid cooling.

#16 dbvanhorn, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  17. Jaime

Jaime New Member

This is due to unequal thermal contraction between the filament material, your adhesive and the glass. Remove prints hot or put an interface like totem on 3m sticky or put down tape. These will eliminate this issue and then you can remove whenever you want. These printers should all come with a thermal management barrier but they don't.

WheresWaldo likes this.
  18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Like @Jaime mentions, this is my general practice, to remove hot, particularly PETG because once you solve any adhesion issues it quickly moves to the other extreme of too much adhesion. Of course I am now using an aluminum bed and a cheap piece of float glass over the top but it could chip as easily if I allowed it to cool completely.

19. S-Fly

S-Fly New Member

I've got 2 big chunks out of mine, so if I print something big I get 2 warped spots. I just sand them down and use a slurry if I have to fill in gaps.
    Now I would like to replace it, but I'm not sure with what. I debated about getting a piece of glass to put over the top of the old one, but I'm not sure what type and where to even go to get one. I thought about aluminum but I'm not sure if a thin sheet over the glass would work well or not.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Simple plate glass will work if you are just putting in over the old one.
    A thin sheet will be fine.

WheresWaldo likes this.