1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printed Solid Smart Controller XXL - not working, displays two lines of solid rectangles

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by solerift, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solerift

solerift New Member

I've seen the other forum conversation in which identical symptoms were described, and the issue was solved with a new LCD. Unfortunately, that didn't work.

I have several Printed Solid Smart Controllers - NONE of them work with my most recent Robo R1+, purchased as a refurb. All of them work with my other Robo R1+s. Easy plug and play.

The LCD displays nothing but solid rectangles on lines 1 and 3 when plugged in, and makes a digital chirp when the selector is pressed. (this is not a contrast problem. Already confirmed that much)

It seems clear, the refurb printer is the problem. The Arduino either has bad connectors, or the firmware is misconfigured and not communicating with the Printed Solid LCD.

Robo Tier 2 support has been adamant that they can no longer support third party LCDs due to people harming their equipment while installing them. Sad. This simple controller has been "plug and play" for the R1 since 2015, and has been recommended by both Robo, and Printed Solid as the best way to control your R1 and print from SD.

I cannot return the printer because its a refurb. Without a working LCD and ability to pause print while printing from SD, the printer is about as useless to me as a floating boat anchor.

Does anyone have firmware version that is configured to work with this controller?

I contacted Robo asking for the V1 firmware for the R1+. They don't have it, and can only point me to what is on the website. :(

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, actually... I'd suspect the RAMPS as well since that is the point of interface.
    If you seriously want to solve this "quickly" get one the combo spare parts kits from an Amazon vendor (link is an EXAMPLE only, not a recommendation). I use those style kits for all my spares..

At any rate it include all the suspects. An Arduino, A Ramps, heck, it even has an LCD :) (stepper drivers too)

https://smile.amazon.com/OSOYOO-Printer-Controller-Stepper-Heatsink/dp/B0111ZSS2O

You can quickly sort out what the problem is and get a working LCD

solerift likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

4. solerift

solerift New Member

Its the Arduino or firmware. As stated, the same LCD, hooked up to my other Robo R1's, works just fine. Other LCDs which are working perfectly on my other Robos, when hooked up to this one, do not work, and have the same behavior.

Its a refurb purchased last week, so I assume there its still some kind of warranty and replacing all the parts inside might void that......

Tempting still.... I am curious - with parts this cheap - how reliable are they? Are you currently running this set up?

I've purchased generic parts for electronics before - sometimes it works out, sometimes its a nightmare. (Cheap RAM for example)

5. solerift

solerift New Member

Also - if this is a firmware issue - a new board will not address the problem when I load the same V2 firmware from Robos website.

I attached a screenshot of what comes up in Arduino Sketchbook when I load the V2 Firmware from the link on Robos site.

I would think that what is seen in the current firmware configuration is causing my problems with the XXL controller. The info contained looks like a description of a totally different LCD. I have no idea how to find the proper settings, and am hoping that someone out there has the firmware file configured for the old 20 x 4 Smart Controller from Printed Solid.

Attached Files:

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have one Robo that uses that same LCD (the others all have different ones). I also have a non-robo using that same LCD (and other non-robos using others). They are inexpensive, made-in-China parts by the lowest bidders. I have gone through a few over the years,= :) At the cost though I don't much care. Commodity parts are what they are, even the printer electronics can be had for less than $50 US for all of it (not including the power supply). I have had one Arduino clone die and 3 RAMPS boards die across 7 printers (not all Robo) since 2013. They get used ... a lot so there are high run time hours. @Geof also has some high run time on his machines. I just buy the all-in-one electronics kits and use those for replacements (roughly $40 for all the electronics including an LCD)

As for the firmware -- you should not need to mod it for the XXL (or RepRap Discount LCD -- both are effectively the same and are also the same as the 20 x 4 from the firmware side). The FullGraphics version does need a firmware modification, not that one.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is not a firmware issue. Unless they have done something silly, that LCD is enabled by default in the Marlin settings. It has been on all the other Robo models so I find it hard to believe that they changed that one.

I can download the v2 firmware and take a look if you want, but I would be highly surprised if that LCD was not enabled. (I have not used the raw stock configuration for firmware in years. I just edit the configuration.h to suit so I am not up to speed on what they have in there, but they never used to change those sort of default options.. just printer configuration specific ones like bed size)

8. solerift

solerift New Member

I agree - there would be no reason to change it. Still, everything about this printer functions properly other than the Printed Solid LCD. I can queue prints in MC, Cura, and Simplify, I can start a print from SD. (All of which is not ideal for the way my business needs to use the printer)

My theory was that perhaps the newest iteration of Robo's firmware is pre-configured for the Robo R1+ that came with an LCD last year. No idea if that is true though.

Ill know very soon if the latest firmware causes a disruption in communication. I'm going to test the replacement board you recommended, with the firmware found here:

h t t p ://download.robo3d.com/firmware/R1Plus/ROBO3DR1PLUSV2. zip

Thank you for all your help. Much appreciated.

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The section of code you clipped has nothing to do with the issue you are seeing. And so @mark tomlinson doesn't have to drag out V2, here is the code direct from Configuration.h lines 503 - 505:
    Code:
    // The RepRapDiscount Smart Controller (white PCB)
    // http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRapDiscount_Smart_Controller
    #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER                  //robo1
    The default is the Smart Controller is enabled. Nothing has changed since it was released.

mark tomlinson and solerift like this.
  10. solerift

solerift New Member

Got it. Bad board in a refurb. That's good news, by Monday evening I should have a functional printer + LCD.

Thanks to both of you!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, they actually have different downloads for all of them because there are other mechanical differences (Z steps/mm for one example) so they need different configuration.h files.

12. solerift

solerift New Member

Update:

Arduino kits + "Full Graphic" LCDs arrived.

1) Assembled one of them and uploaded Robo 3D R1 PLUS V2 Firmware.

2) Printed Solid 20 x 4 LCD test with new Arduino = exact same behavior as seen on my refurb / original Arduino. Two lines of solid rectangles, unable to communicate with Robo.

3) The new "Full Graphics" LCD display included in the Kit - it works - both with the Arduino kit, and with the original board inside the refurb Robo.

4) Updated Firmware for my other Robo - updated to V2 using the files downloaded in the link I gave above. It now has the same issue. Printed Solid LCD which was previously working just fine, now displaying two solid lines of rectangles. Unable to use Printed Solid Displays, but it works with the full graphics LCD.

Problem : I'm not a big fan of this little LCD. I prefer the Printed Solid LCDs. I suppose I can live, and work, but without being an expert, this still seems to point to firmware, not hardware......

Attached Files:

13. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

What that indicates is the the Full Graphics is enabled in Firmware, check to see if this line is uncommented,

ROBO3DR1PLUSV2 at line 515 of Configuration.h
    Code:
    //#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER
    If it has '//" in front it is a comment, if not then it is a command.

The PS 20 x 4 LCD display should have the following line enabled instead, line 505
    Code:
    #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER
    Same rules as above, only one can be enabled not both.

solerift, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  14. solerift

solerift New Member

That did it. Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.