1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printing blob issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Larry H, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Larry H

Larry H Member

Hello,
    First thing is I'm using a Robo 3D R1+
    After my thermistor issue this past weekend I re-calibrated my printer and have been trying to print 20mm cubes. I try printing the cube with a brim and everytime I get a extra large glob of filament when it goes from the brim to the cube. Does anyone know what could be causing this because temperature doesnt seem to be the cause and filament retraction settings isn't making any difference either.

The rest of the cube prints out normally except the top the extruder seems to close because it usually leaves a hole in the top. The base layer seems to be correct so I'm reasonably sure the height is correct.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

thanks

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I would suggest try another slicer/printing program for starters and see if it behaves the same.
    Also, pictures would be ideal.

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm sorry I can't picture this flaw either. If you can share some photos one of us can help for sure

Then we can talk about using a skirt instead of a brim :)

4. Larry H

Larry H Member

You know I thought I was referring to the skirt not the brim but most of the searches I tried I couldn't find anything good.
    Here's some pictures of both issues. The little blob on the corner keeps showing up no matter what I do and I've never seen it before. The hole keeps showing up and while I've reduced it I still can't eliminate it.
    IMG_7150.JPG IMG_7151.JPG

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

No worries. A brim is around the print attached to the part a skirt is a not touching outline of the part (used to prime the extruder)

What temp do you print at? I use to haveterribleoozing from over heat so when it moved from a skirt to the print a blob like that appeared

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/
    Great print quality info

The hole I imagine is from the hotend sitting on top of the print to long. Can you verify?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Larry H

Larry H Member

Ah ok thanks, hmm I print at 190 but I'm wondering if the thermistor might have shifted or was damaged, or the ambient temperature is pretty warm. I print in a room which is usually around 80F.

I'll have to verify it later but it could be the problem I'll find the raise speed and increase it a bit. I think one of the issues why I haven't come across this in a while is because I'm using Octoprint with gcode generated from MatterControl and the speed is one of those things it doesn't control as much.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Im not familiar with octo, i just print from a xxl controller from.simplify 3d. Id imagine if it happens on all prints there is something we can figure out to resolve the issue

8. Larry H

Larry H Member

Ok thanks, the thermistor reading I had gotten was about 93 OHM but the voltimeter was set to auto and it was colder in the room at the time.
    I use MatterControl and export the files as gcode so the z-offset settings and a few other settings generate the file. Octoprint works well enough for most prints but it's the small detail models I would need to use something else to turn down the speed to a crawl.

I'll try turning down the print temperature again to see if that helps, also could the problem be I need to season the extruder?
    thanks again

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If its pla most defianently season and run an oiler

Larry H likes this.
  10. Larry H

Larry H Member

Thank you I'll try a little canola oil and see if that helps. If so I'll try printing/making an oiler and go from there.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

An oiler might be my best printed item lol. Works great

12. Larry H

Larry H Member

Ok the Seasoning helped a bit but I found one of the issues is filament retraction. After the skirt is printed it retracts, moves straight up then moves over to the starting point and prints a blob. I'm honestly not sure if the filament retraction is too low or too high. I had used the default settings besides z-offset modified this time and still had the same issue. I don't think I've come across this before.

It's not a temperature issue either, I dropped it down to 180 which was too low and the object was crumbling. Still had an issue with the roof of the cube and the hole created even at a low temperature.

#12 Larry H, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Try another slicer.
    I have a feeling this is not a mechanical issue, but switch to another program to print the same model (i.e. if Using MatterControl, switch over to Repetier host or Cura and slice/print the same model)

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is remotely possible this is caused (somehow) by the way the printing is staged (i.e. through Octoprint) but really, I would suspect the slicer before anything else. If here is an easy way to eliminate Octoprint for a test that would be good information to have as well.

15. Larry H

Larry H Member

I had tried Slicr(3rd choice in Mattercontrol after Cura and Matter) which caused the same problem. Octoprint I haven't had much luck running their slicer which is why I've been exporting the gcode files from MatterControl. I might have been able to reduce the issue by changing the amount of filament retracted, but it was last minute this morning.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, then we can rule out the slicer itself. Was low-hanging-fruit though so had to be done :)

I think retraction is probably a bandaid over the cause, but if it works and does happen in other places...

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@mark tomlinson you mean a different slicer not the drop down menu in matter control ? If im reading right i think he is still using matter control program just a different slice engine ?

I had serious issues with the different slice engines inside matter control

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, I mean a different host program.
    I can't be certain that MC is really playing into this in any way, but I'd rather shoot the usual suspects first and get them out of the way.

I suspect it is more likely something in the interaction with Octoprint and the printer.

Geof likes this.
  19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

20. Larry H

Larry H Member

My main concern is I've never had this bad of an issue before the thermistor.
    If it's not the thermistor , heating element, or extruder. What about what happens when you hit the reset button on the RAMPS board?
    I could try Cura then see if the same problem persists.