1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printing blob issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Larry H, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Larry H

Larry H Member

Ok, after printing out many 20mm calibration cubes I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware error. The problem is software and for now MatterControl is still my best bet until I get simplify 3d, likely in a month or two.
    Here's a picture of my most recent cube with MatterControl v1.4.
    IMG_7161.JPG
    Now I tried a flash to get some filament detail which only sort of worked. One of the questions I have is Z-Offset is the correct one I need under Print->Print Area->Z Offset? Seems like the extruder is still a bit too low once it gets to the top of the cube.

Also for Infill, what is a good starting angle? I've been trying 45 or 90 and the Infill Overlap is currently at 0.2 (20% or 0.2mm).

One last thing I noticed, here's a picture of a calibration cube I did when I first got the printer.
    IMG_7169.JPG
    The top of the cube goes from corner to corner rather then straight across like the others I've made. Does anyone know the setting for that? Seems like it worked a lot better when it started in a corner with a lot less distance to cover.

thanks

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Larry, I'm sorry but since I don't use matter control I'd just be guessing :-(

It's like Greek to me.

Larry H likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

4. Larry H

Larry H Member

Not a problem thanks I'll take a look then, I also found the original SD card which came with the printer it has version 1.3 I thought I had 1.4 originally so I might try that too and see if there's a difference.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I think when you switch to a new slicer you'll be extremely happy.. I know I was when I moved from mattercontrol :)

Ryan TeGantvoort and Larry H like this.
  6. Larry H

Larry H Member

I agree especially from what I heard and read about Simplify 3D.:)

Ryan TeGantvoort and Geof like this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

There are members that have amazing results with the free slicers. You should try them out :)

#47 Geof, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    Larry H likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There may be a way to direct the slicer pattern which would help with your last issues. Simplify has an option to tweak that bit (inside-out vs.outside-in) not sure on the others.

I don't mean the infill pattern... that shouldn't affect what you see when complete.

Even so what you have now looks good.

Larry H and Geof like this.
  9. Larry H

Larry H Member

Well I still don't know why the cube is going lengthwise rather then corner to corner but after printing many calibration cubes I tried a calibration card and I'm happy with the results.
    Other then bridging, which I try to avoid like the plague, for the overhang I think it's better then the first time I tried this one.The one on the right is a slight 0.05 increase in infill overlap but I think it's more likely the stringing is from the room was pushing 83F when I printed that.
    IMG_7172.JPG
    I tried printing 3DBenchy and all in all it worked quite well I could have slowed it down a bit more for a little more detail but didn't think it would be worth the extra 1-2 hours.

IMG_7174.JPG

Like Mark said what I have now looks good so I'm going to stick with this until I either buy Simplify 3D or go through getting a open source slicer up and running.

Thank you all for your help, it was very much appreciated.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Those are some good looking prints! Good job!

Larry H likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is a choice that the slicer will make. ALL tool paths are slicer driven.
    Sometimes the slicer allows you to affect its choices with settings.
    Not all slicers are created equal.
    (your mileage, may vary. Void where prohibited, etc.)

Geof likes this.