1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printing Speed?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Jimmy Husain, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Jimmy Husain

Jimmy Husain Member

So, what do you guys set on your Robo? I mean your Default Printing Speed to get that quality printouts. 50mm/s? or less? or more?

How about the Outline Underspeed?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is no 'pat' answer. Almost every parameter is interlinked :)

If you are using a small nozzle and layer height trying to do fine detail then you are going to need to reduce speed in pretty much a linear way (i.e. 1/2 the nozzle and/or layer => 1/2 the speed).

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I run at 45-60 max to hold decent prints. Using mc. Hoping aftere3d and s3d I can crank it up without lost qa.

Jimmy Husain likes this.
  4. Jimmy Husain

Jimmy Husain Member

I never actually pay attention to speed when I was on MC. After moving on to S3D then I started to learn after doing some tweaking & such. Right now I am under 35 mm/s. Slow it is but still not happy as some still needs support regardless of the slow speed.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Hey @Jimmy Husain I have found that if you are trying to bridge areas, within reason, that you need to actually crank up the speed a bit. Slow and steady around the rest of the models to preserve details on low line heights, but about 30 - 50% faster on bridges.

You can usually go a bit faster with hotter temps and larger layer heights, again within reason.

Jimmy Husain and Geof like this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Waldo! Good info for when I switch to s3d

7. Jimmy Husain

Jimmy Husain Member

The reason I asked is that I am having some problems printing areas like below. I for sure need to slow it down & if my speed is *still* not slow enough, that I what I get. Then again I may need support to make it better. I thought with those overhang angle, the printer can still print those almost perfect provided the speed is right (with other settings too)

bridge sample 1.jpg

bridge sample 2.jpg

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Looks like there is a slight curve under there on the left-most edge of that.
    It doesn't look like a straight layer. As is I would say that needs support.
    If you can rework it so that the layer is flatter (and more gradual angle like the part before the curve) then it would work.

9. Jimmy Husain

Jimmy Husain Member

I guess so that those parts may need support.

So after opening up my printer & checking all those needed to be checked (now my bed is grinding!)I decided to print these 2.

Both a printed with 0.2 layers (2 outline/perimeter shells)
    Printing speed of 2100 mm/min
    Outline underspeed of 30%
    Solid infil underspeed of 75%
    Extrusion multipier of 98%
    Extrusion width of 0.38 mm

bridge sample 3.jpg

bridge sample 4.jpg

The 1st photo is by far the best print I get for that particular model as I printed lots of those recently.
    The 2nd photo is still not that good BUT it is yes way better than the whole lots that I printed recently. No support used.

BUT there is a major difference as for these two, the settings I used is not the same now. But hope I can getting better results but playing with those settings. I think I am going to do test prints using these model to find out which should be tweaked to get the best outcome, after I sort out my heatbed that is.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Welcome to 3D printing as a model maker :)
    Minor details in the model can make a huge difference with FDM* printing and even model orientation matters.

I don't worry much about needed support materials since Simplify generates ones that can be almost invisible once removed (and they are really easy to pop off).
    I do try to avoid needing them to same material costs in larger models, but not at the expense of spending a lot of time designing it.

*SLA is not vastly different and DLP adds its own issues.

Mike Kelly likes this.