1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Prometheus Hot End - Indigogo Project

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by JohnStack, Apr 8, 2014.

1. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

The Prometheus is indeed compatible with the Robo 3D printer just like many other hot ends would be. I have many customers who own a Robo3D printer who have set up my hot end with their printer without issues. Rewiring your electronics is standard with any hot end upgrade. This is the same for the E3D hot end or any other hot end upgrade you could buy. Hot ends do not come with those specific 2-pin connectors in the standard kit. If I had know that you needed them I would have been happy to include them in your order.

Anyway, I can ship you the 2-pin connectors at no cost. Please tell me your order number and I can sort this out.

Thanks,
    Eric

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Eric is not a Robo user and unaware that the R1+ is different than the R1.
    They have changed the thermistor (among other things).

3. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

Mark is correct. As I mentioned earlier I do not own a Robo3D printer. I have many customers who own Robo3D R1's or R1+'s and I am confident that my product is compatible with these printers. As I mentioned in my previous post, rewiring is standard with any hot end upgrade. All of my Robo3D customers to date have not had issues with wiring up the thermistor and heater. Since you do not want to change any of the original wiring I am just trying to give you my best advice. I take pride in the personal service I offer my customers and I stand behind my product.

As I mentioned, I will send you the extra 2-pin connectors free of charge. I just need you to email me with the order confirmation you received for this order so that I can be sure that I am sending the replacement to the correct address.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

Geof likes this.
  4. robocad

robocad Member

Yes that is fine, just note that i checked the length of provided thermistor wire in case i had to direct wire it to the control board and it doesnt appear to be long enough, so robo r1+ users do require this connector.

My order# is 1425

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@RP Iron Man . that is fantastic customer service. Thank you for being a good vendor for our members.

6. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

@Geof . Thank you for your appreciation! Great customer service is something that I take very seriously.

@robocad . Thanks for letting me know! I will ship out your connectors on Monday. I will also include an extra thermistor with tubing, sleeving and ferrules just in case. Since these parts will take some time to arrive you can try my initial recommendation for setting up the hot end. If you simply cut the old thermistor leads near the old hot end heater block and attach the new thermistor to those leads you will be able to start printing right away. If you are uncomfortable doing this that's fine and you can just wait until the shipment arrives. Do let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
    Eric

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@robocad he is suggesting to reuse the jst connectir so you wont be cutting uo your harness just removing the connector and a bit of wiring from your old thermistor and installing on the new one

8. robocad

robocad Member

Yes i understand, but that connector/thermistor as it stands fits the hexagon hotend perfectly so i wouldnt want to destroy my backup.

I appreciate the good customer service, ive just come off a battle with a seller of e3dv6 hotends, an official seller, very nice hotend very cheap thermistor that burned up a week into using it, the reseller's shady tactics made me want to return it instead of replacing the thermistor. The hexagon also jammed beyond use and still waiting on robo3d to respond. Ive just started in 3d printing and im already tired of dealing with low quality businesses.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Seems like @RP Iron Man is a pretty decent buisnessman

I can tell you from first hand experience @Printed Solid is my go to for everything 3d printing related. I liked how well he took care of me that i bought a 2nd printer from him. Hell of a guy and buisness. Give him a shout im sure he would be happy to meet you.

WWW.PRINTEDSOLID.COM

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

@robocad I understand. No worries! I am shipping out your parts Monday morning so please let me know when they arrive!

Thanks,
    Eric

Geof likes this.
  11. robocad

robocad Member

Ive spent the last hour wiring it up since you were sending another thermistor for the correct plug, i figured i could bypass the cable guide and reach the control board for now, when i finally went to plug it in to determine where to cut the tubing and saw that it does not fit in the carriage, its heatsink is too wide in any direction. Go figure, do you have a slimmer heatsink i can use with this?

12. robocad

robocad Member

13. robocad

robocad Member

Or if you could send me a carriage with the correct hole placements that would accomodate a larger heatsink, there appears to be two screws holding it and parts of the extruder together

14. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

@robocad It definitely looks like that hexagon shaped fan shroud at the bottom of the extruder is the issue. It is specifically sized for the hexagon hot end and would not fit many any other hot ends given the dimensions you specified. Can you send me more pics of this part from different angles? I am sure there will be a way to remove this hexagon fan shroud part so that the Prometheus will fit. Have you checked to see if this part can be removed? Please let me know so that we can sort this out.

EDIT: I forgot to say. Those 2 bolts that you mentioned holding parts of the extruder together may be the way to remove the fan shroud. Try unscrewing those bolts and see if you can remove the fan shroud. Keep me posted!

Thanks,
    Eric

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@robocad you have to ditch the stock fan holders. You have to with all different hotends im aware of. Remove the 2 phillips screws the fan assembly falls out (unplug the hotend fan) then reassemble the screws without the fan holder. After that if you want fans youll have to make up a fan holder. Lots on thingiverse to choose from.

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Edit to that post: if you want parts fans. Looks like your new hotend has holes for the cold end fan to bolt direct

17. robocad

robocad Member

Didnt realize that part was just for the sake of the fans, it looked like it held the heatsink too. Heres a pictorial of the process since its not apparent given the screws are hidden.

http://imgur.com/a/V7QpS

The first is the 'fanshroud', the second is the front screw holding it, the hotend clasp, and the motors together, the third is the print fan that hides the back screw, fourth is fan removed screw visible, fifth shows prometheus and robo fans next to removed fanshroud, last is it installed.

18. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

@Geof Thanks for helping out!

@robocad It looks like you have the mounting sorted out! Let me know how it goes!

Eric

Geof likes this.
  19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

As most users go e3d it is detailed in that thread as well

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Your welcome