1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PTC Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express

Discussion in 'Software' started by nol b, Jan 6, 2015.

1. nol b

nol b Member

http://www.ptc.com/product/creo/elements/direct-modeling/express

Has anyone used this for designing? The company I work for uses the full version but I don't do design so I haven't used it personally. I'm just curious if it's worth installing and learning. I don't anticipate it would take more than a few hours to pickup; I have SolidWorks, Unigraphics NX, and CATIA experience. It appears to be full CAD software for free. For anyone who doesn't know, Creo is the new name for Pro Engineer now that PTC owns it. I've been trying to find good CAD software that's free. I tried FreeCAD but it's too buggy currently and doesn't have enough functionality.

Does anyone have good experience with this? Do you like it? Do you prefer some other free or affordable CAD software (let's say <$500)?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I've never used ProE/Creo Elements but from what I've seen it's a very full featured software. ProE was the industry standard when I entered school, but the high cost of educational licenses meant I learned inventor instead. In grad school I learned Solidworks which seems to be industry standard. (Besides NX and Catia that is)

I've been looking at Inventor Fusion lately and it's pretty nice and featured for a free software.

Though solidworks is my tool of choice since I have access to it.

3. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

ProE/Creo vs Solidworks is like comparing a 22 speed manual transmission to an automatic. ProE/Creo gives you greater control over very complex features, but you have the same amount of over head for simple things as well. Unless you are building ultra complex assemblies like a car or supper complex equation driven surfaces use solid works. We use proE/creo at work and the 3rd button just makes things non intuitive. Disclaimer, I taught SolidWorks for 5 yrs and used ProE for 3 and refused to use it for the last 7.

2 people like this.
  4. nol b

nol b Member

I really like SolidWorks also. The only issue is that the cheapest license for it is $4k. That's why I'm looking for something free or affordable. I really want to try to stick to legitimate software (non-bootleg). I've started learning Creo but I'm not a fan of direct modeling. I really prefer parametric modeling. Is Inventor Fusion still free? The only things I'm finding on it are that the tech preview was free previously and now you can download a free trial.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

SolidWorks student edition is $150 US.
    If you can buy that it is not horrid. Yes, their full version is pricey.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

(might be worth registering for a course at a community college to get the discount if you want it)

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Inventor Fusion is still free on the mac. Not sure on the PC

8. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

Something to consider.

SW or ProE will generate perfect STL, IGES and STEP files. I don't know about autodesk but likely it does too.

Googles sketch up on the other hand has left some serious flaws preventing others from taking the STL and modifying it. So up to you on intent.

The other factor is nothing is truly free, there is a learning cure to learning everything. Cadcim http://www.cadcim.com sells a great selection of books and I taught with them for 5 yrs with great success. You can learn SW in about 40hrs, ProE is at least double but I may be biased. (Time is for parts, assys and drawings)

Yes any money adds up in cost, but if you also add in the value of a your time the story changes. If your broke then it doesn't matter.

Here in CA a larger percentage of engineers use SW.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

:cool: