1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

RAMPS board upgrade replacement

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by DjAnnexAlpha, Aug 22, 2015.

1. DjAnnexAlpha

DjAnnexAlpha Member

Stargrove1 likes this.
  2. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

Hi, I had a quick look at the boards description, in my opinion, it has the same features as a traditional Arduino Mega/RAMPs combined with a raspberry + Octoprint (also around 80$). For printing 4 times faster as promised, you need also additional hw which is able to follow the boards speed. Stepper drivers have a better resultion at microstepping, this may lead to a slightly better resulotion.

Its a nice one board solution to save space while having Wifi right out of the box. But if one of the stepper drivers is broken, you will have to replace the whole board. I like the modular solution of the RAMPs board where I am able replace or repair modules or parts by myself.

DjAnnexAlpha likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

DjAnnexAlpha likes this.
  4. DjAnnexAlpha

DjAnnexAlpha Member

@Stargrove1 Thanks for that info. I just want to do a mod which would enable me to view the print as it is being completed(via wifi) and an LCD screen mod using the Reprapdiscount Smart LCD Controller XXL. A member on this forum made a plexiglass enclosure(will be ordering soon) and a kill switch incase anything starts smoking. =D

5. DjAnnexAlpha

DjAnnexAlpha Member

@mark tomlinson Thats why I rarely fund kick starter campaigns. The last one I funded was for the tiny Hexcopter that would be controlled by your phone. When I finally got it, it wouldn't work. Contacted support they said "yeah we will send a replacement board". I waited a month, nothing came, messaged them multiple times, no response. 6 months later the package came in the mail, put the new board in, same issue. Tossed it. $45 thrown into the trash lol

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Meh. I run about 80%-85% on getting what they said they would provide in terms of perks.
    (now WHEN is a different issue as 99% of them over estimate how quick they can deliver said perks)

These guys are not really far behind or anything (they said August and are shipping now).

I have backed a lot of KS projects (over 80 including the Robo). I don't back as many as I used to simply because there are not as many of interest.

edit: correction -> 112 projects

DjAnnexAlpha likes this.
  7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'd suggest a smoothieboard over anything else. The ATMega chip is starting to show it's age.

Though I've heard some less than stellar things about smoothieboards PR lately

DjAnnexAlpha likes this.
  8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The Smoothie group is trying to protect the Open Sourceness (that's not really a word) of their project. So they are rather militant in their responses to new options. It seems the main developer would rather approach it adversarially than in a mild manner, he must be a lawyer at heart. So every exchange he seems to have with the Chinese cloners ends badly.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Word now. I am using it. ;)

10. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

#10 Paul Yeh, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    DjAnnexAlpha likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

hoping I see mine soon as well.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Got mine in the post today. Looks nice. I will be experimenting with it.

Not sure if I will be upgrading one of the Robos or using it for something else (SLA?) or just building a new printer with it (I do have a lot of spare parts like steppers and switches laying around).

My main Robo is usually busy printing and I am loathe take it down for a bit. What do I gain there?