1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Really bad ribbing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jbigler1986, Feb 28, 2015.

1. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

I have really bad ribbing. Nothing is loose. Belts seem tight. Idk what to do.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

#2 mark tomlinson, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
  3. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Ribbing or overextrusion? Try lowering your filament flow to 97.

4. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

FR was at 80 percent.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Have you calibrated your extruder steps?

I'd do a 1 on 1 with robo since they have the most experience fixing ribbing.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I am very curious to hear what Robo support have to say about the Z ribbing on a new model Robo.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

They try and get threaded rods and helical couplers to a close match to not need teflon tape to mitigate ribbing.

I really think a large contributor is the motor being out of true center in it's seat.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

All useful improvements but still missing the simplest of fixes.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The bearing? That never did anything for me

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Well you must be the only one ;) or had some other issues as well. The mechanics of why it works are very straight forward.

And the firmware fix still hasn't been done AFAIK.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Na there's been others with the same result. I think it has to do with the integrity of the helical couplers as well.

The bearing just helps it bend, but it really shouldn't be bending much as it is.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

The bearing stops the Z height variation if/when the coupler bends. That's the mechanics. The rest of the package of Z ribbing fixes (other than the firmware fix) is about minimising the coupler bending or slipping.

Robo could/should be asking why new printers are still experiencing Z ribbing issues

2 people like this.
  13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I think the Z ribbing isn't caused by height variation but rather translational pressures from the offset position of the threaded rod. That's why if you follow it around the object it matches the thread pitch exactly. I don't think it's really Z height but X-Y translation that's the cause of ribbing.

14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

In the end I think you are both correct.
    There are a number of things that contribute to and/or cause the effect.
    It is often not as simple as one variable (at least for this issue).
    I managed to get it by changing nozzles once, long enough to notice it and swap again.

15. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

I know on my printer one of the motors is out of position a bit. I've used up whatever clearance was in the holes to slide it into a better spot, but it is still off a smidge. One of these days I'm going to drop that motor out and open up those holes a little so i can fine tune the motor position.

The motor not being in the right spot made my threaded rod come out at such an angle that it can hit the top of the idler carriage.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Mike

What you are describing as X-Y translation is Z wobble (ie horizontal movements). Z Wobble can also match the screw pitch especially if the Z axis is not firmly constrained. There are examples of this Z wobble problem on many other forums and with particular printer designs (eg cupcake).

It is easy to create Z Ribbing by simply varying the Z height (ie vertical movement). In fact it could be generated by the firmware if the Z height were varied by manipulating the numbers of z steps layer by layer. All it takes is a few 100ths of a millimeter variation in Z height.

A more thorough discussion of Z artifacts is here

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/makerbot/xAFBbD2xlys

My Z Ribbing fix package is targetted at issue (5) which has been (and continues to be) the major cause of Z Ribbing on the Robo.

Issue (1) Z Wobble remains an potential issue with the Robo design. And there are many Z stabilizer designs aimed at fixing it.

Issues (2, 3, 4, 6, 7) Are not inherent issues with the Robo design or firmware parameters IMO. I haven't seen X-Y wobble produced by tight belts but could imagine that is possible. Loose belts obviously are a problem.

Issue (8) again is not inherent in the Robo design, but users should take care to make sure the filament comes off the spool with no jerking movements.

Notice this analysis did not mention metric versus imperial rods - which makes no discernable difference.

Finally, I think this analysis has missed the variation in extrusion volume issue. I have never seen this myself but there is enough evidence around that Z ribbing artifacts can be caused by over extrusion.

17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I understand what you're saying, but from my experiments I don't think it's intrinsically caused by height variation, maybe partially but that doesn't really explain why it follows the Z threads on all dimensions.

For (1) I think we can both agree it has to do primarily with helical coupler driven systems. If you were to switch to a linear stepper driver where the lead screw replaces the drive shaft the problem will go away completely. This is primarily what people have when they get the Z ribbing you're trying to solve.

At least this is what my attempts to solve it on my system led me to believe.

Even after replacing the Z screws with lead screws I still had Z wobble. It wasn't until my 3rd set of helical couplers combined with loosening and centering the Z stepper drivers was the issue mitigated. My original HC's were really bad and was probably the primary culprit of the severity of the ribbing. Though I think since the problem appeared in such severity after my Y axis upgrade it was also in part to motor center-ness. I feel like if I tried M8 again it would work with the current arrangement.

For 5 I think your solutions would work, but I feel like most people have 1, not 5.

18. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

If that's the core to a gear cube/heart, and the image is not distorted in anyway...it looks short. The Z axis may not be raising in the correct increments. Or there is slipping in your couplers.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Mike

I was able to reproduce/eliminate Z ribbing by allowing/not allowing the Z height to vary as the couplers turned. Z height variation is definitely a cause of Z ribbing. The ribbing also matched the pitch of the screw. All of the beta testers eliminated their Z ribbing when the package of Z Ribbing fixes were applied.

I agree Z "wobble" remains an issue inherent in the Robo design, but can be minimised by centering the motors, centering the couplers, and firming up the Z axis smooth rods. Unfortunately many of the Z axis mods I have seen on the forum actually have the potential to make the Z wobble problem worse or make no real difference at all.

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I think some people found solution from your guide, but certainly not all. I for one never found solution in any of your ideas. I think that's because of the Z wobble and not ribbing (my head hurts from these acronyms).

I haven't seen "Non-standard Z movement" in quite some time. Pretty much everyone has Z Wobble from what I've encountered.