1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Really bad ribbing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jbigler1986, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I don't have any Z wobble problem (or Z ribbing anymore).

The solution to Z Wobble (which is nothing more than X or Y horizontal movement) is very simple. Make sure the Z Axis smooth rods are rock solid, belts are tight and there is no play/slop on the extruder carriage movement or the bed movement. Centering the couplers and the motors will help too. Trouble is many of the mods being proposed is these areas actually can make the X or Y wobble worse eg trying to constrain the threaded rod in some way or removing the couplers.

Again if Z wobble is now the major problem on new machines, the Robo guys should be asking themselves why?

Maybe one of the Robo'ers with Z Wobble could come up with a package of fixes and have them tested and confirmed as effective by some beta testers - just as I did with the Z Ribbing issues?

And getting back to the original question of this thread (@jbigler1986), I don't see a pattern of Z Ribbing in the print photos. Hard to tell from the photos but it looks more like the variation is just in either the X (or Y) direction. Typical causes for that would be a loose X (or Y) drive pulley/belt, loose X (or Y) idler pulley or stepper motors not screwed in tight.

#21 Ziggy, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
  2. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

I still have z ribbing. Tried just about everything. Dropped the FR to 80 percent. I am at a loss honestly. Here are pics of 2 parts I just printed. I think I'm going to have to go the support route.

Attached Files:

3. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

I was having some bad Z Ribbing for the past few days, it went away most noticeably when I filed the end of my Z rods and re-tightened my couplers and oiled the threaded rods. Quality seems pretty good now. (all from Ziggy's thread)

4. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

In all the industrial CNC machines I've run over the years, all the ball screws were supported on both ends by bearings. Of course being machines that cost upwards in the millions of dollars you have to expect better solutions.

I've been considering designing a Z axis rod and bearing support that would definitely help to constrain the z axis screws. Another mod would be to put support bearing on both ends and use a belt drive instead of the direct drive system now used. This would al;so allow for a single stepper to drive both screws and free up a stepper slot to use for an additional extruder. Granted it's more parts and increases the complexity, but if it works for Industrial machines, I don't see why not here.

I may eventually invest in some real ball screws for my machine.

5. jbigler1986

Here are some parts I decided to print in Mattercontrol. The only change I made was to the temps and the z offset. Looks way better. Oh the 2 parts on the left are from Cura and the 3 in the right are from Mattercontrol

Attached Files:

6. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

Whoa, I'm impressed. Matter Control always gave me problems, glad it's working for you though.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Better, but the models still have Z artifacts. What changes to the printer have you tried so far to get rid of the Z artifacts (other than change slicers, temps and z offset)???

8. jbigler1986

Checked belts, screws, loose motors/parts, level bed, oiler, good filament. Literally the only thing I have not done is the extruder calibration because I'm kinda confused on it and what to edit and stuff.

9. jbigler1986

I printed 4 big gears for the gear cube overnight and they turned out great, Printed 4 small ones this morning and they also turned out great in Mattercontrol. I'm user the Slic3r Engine. Not sure if it's Slic3r or Mattercontrol that is fixing things. Either way I think I found my setup. For now anyways.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Your latest pics of your prints are showing z issues which do look like ribbing (Z height variation)

It appears you haven't done any of the Z Ribbing fixes. I suggest you try them.

http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/z-axis-artifacts-known-issues-and-fixes.2576/

And read the other posts in this thread from Robo'ers who had success in fixing their Z Ribbing.

12. jbigler1986

Managed to print this thing including the gear cube with mattercontrol. Turned out great.

Attached Files:

13. mprinz

mprinz Member

What did you end up doing to get it to print that well?

14. jbigler1986

The only changes I made in Mattercontrol was that I changed the temps to: Bed 50, Extruder 198, I changed the speed to 120mm, changed the top layers to 4 instead of 3. I used Slic3r Engine. Set my offset to .4 I think it is. Checked Offset can be negative. Then I uncheck "Avoid Crossing Perimenters". It took almost and hour to slice parts with that checked. It sounds like a lot of changes but really it's almost the stock settings.

15. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Makes sense. That flag makes the logic for generating the toolpaths a lot more complicated.

16. Tanbam

Tanbam Member

My printer had ribbing as bad as any of the examples in the pictures here, but I've completely gotten rid of all of it. My vertical edges are perfectly straight now.

My route to fixing them, based on on info I found here:

1) My stock rods were not perfectly straight and wobbled a lot from side to side. Through experimentation, I found I could get rid of a lot of the original ribbing by rotating one of the rods by itself until the wobbles cancelled each other out. This prevents a good level, but the auto level takes care of the small imbalance pretty well.

2) I purchased new, straight threaded rods from a local bolt shop. Before I installed them, I filed the ends down so the cuts were straight across the rods. I also cleaned them thoroughly before I put them in.

3) After removing the stock rods, I made sure the coupler was mounted to the motor shaft the best way. There's a picture somewhere, but I don't remember where. I did not adjust the motor mounts at all.

4) Before installing the new rods, I placed a ball bearing into the coupler, making sure it was centered.

5) I wrapped the new rods with Teflon tape, then installed them into the coupler. Before tightening them, I made sure they were as straight and centered as possible.

6) After leveling the bed with the new rods, I still had a some ribbing, but it wasn't as closely matched to the treading on the rods. This last bit was caused by over extrusion. I calibrated the filament feed and flashed custom firmware with the changes, but I still had a bit of ribbing going on. I finally conquered it by measuring each filament and entering the correct value, then manually tweaking the extrusion rate until everything fell into place.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Tanbam,

Your steps 1 through 5 are all consistent with the package of Z Ribbing fixes in post #31. Adding Z stabilisers/mounts to the Z smooth rods may have helped as well.

I haven't seen Z artifacts caused by over extrusion, but I have no doubt it can be a cause.

Do you have any before/after pics when you adjusted the filament diameter?

18. Tanbam

Tanbam Member

WP_20150305_003[1].jpg
    I don't have any real pictures of my before prints, but they are represented pretty well by the other pictures in the thread.

Here's a picture of something I printed a few days ago. I didn't spend a lot of time to get the best picture, and the actual print looks better than it does in the image. If you zoom in and look at the edges of the base and the edges of the cams, you can see that there isn't really any z-ribbing. I still need to tweak my corners, but I think it's speed related, because on the side wall where the hole is, you can see that the corners clean up nicely when the machine slows down due to the small layer size.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Latest print looks good quality to me.

Maybe first layer on the cams needs a bit more extrusion (or needs to be a bit lower) - but I am being picky.

20. Tanbam

Tanbam Member

I'd just replaced my fan housing, and needed to adjust my z-offset after removing and reinstalling the hot end.

I've got a bit more distance from the bed than I used to have on the first layer, but instead of worrying so much about the thickness of the first layer, I've been working on trying to find a balance between minimizing any flare (elephant foot) and good adhesion. The way I've got it set now, I have a nice 90 degree transition between the brim and the first layers, and I don't have any trouble with ABS sticking to the bed. I've been using ABS pretty much exclusively for the last couple of months, and I haven't had a print lift in quite some time.

I still have some occasional warping at the edges, but when it happens, the brim is still solidly adhered to the bed so it is usually just a cosmetic issue. Instead of a ruined print, I just have a corner that is a little out of level. I think I might have even better luck if I get around to modifying the firmware so I can raise the bed temperature a few more degrees.