1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Remote operation

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by astro boy, Dec 20, 2017.

1. astro boy

astro boy Member

i was wondering about remote operation of my r1+
    I recently bought a smart power plug that I can control from my phone to turn the printer on and off when I'm away. Trouble is it randomly cuts power and comes back on a second later. I'm not sure if this is because of a glitch in the wifi signal or the printer is drawing too much power. I wanted to get a webcam and use this smart plug so I could monitor my long prints from work. Is there a better way to do this? Or is there a smart plug that would work better? I've heard people using the rasberry pi software but I'm not sure how that works but I'm sure I could do some research on how to use it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

OctoPi is the software you want running on a RaspberryPi with a webcam attached for monitoring.

3. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Smart plug idea is nice, but... not with a crappy one ;) It should not do random cuts.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  5. astro boy

astro boy Member

Thanks for the replies, yes I figured octopi is what I would be going toward... I've had this fear ever since a roommate told me that he read on the net that they could cause fires, although I have never heard of a robo doing so and I don't really think it would under normal circumstances. The prints I want to do are long and I just can't be there all the time. I like the smoke detector idea. It's weird but there's not one smoke detector in my apartment to alert anyone. The super lives next door.
    The worst case scenario I've encountered was the extruder clogging and it just printed nothing when I got up in the morning. Have any of you used octopi for long prints without anxiety? Lol

Geof likes this.
  6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@astro boy you will find a lot of people here that use Octopi or OctoPrint with their printers, and of course the new R2 and C2 have it built in.

Octopi, preconfigured with all the parts already in the Raspbian image
    OctoPrint, self install, self configured on top of an already installed Raspbian image

Geof likes this.
  7. astro boy

astro boy Member

Ok well I might need some help in time when I purchase what I need for this. I'm not a total newbie when it comes to computers but still, it sounds a little daunting. I looked at the other thread that you started Waldo about raspian image and it seems a bit involved. I need the software which I see is free and the raspberry pi 2 or 3 it seems... I guess I'll keep researching what comes after that. But yes I may need help. Thanks guys! I was hoping to keep it simple lol I'm already involved in trying to learn fusion 360 which is a bit of a learning curve, not to mention fine tuning my printer which I think I may have gotten to a good point. But I do love 3D printing. Just wish I could plug my brain in and download everything so I could know it all in a few minutes! But I guess we would all like that.

Thanks again @mark and waldo

Geof likes this.
  8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Octopi is the way to go, almost no setup, it just works.

Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Camera a couple of cables, a 16GB or larger µSD card to use for the OctoPi image and your good.

Geof likes this.
  9. astro boy

astro boy Member

Wow! I thought it would be more complicated than that from what I was reading... Great! I'm on it!

Thanks again Waldo, Mark

Geof likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nope, it is really that easy. The hardest part is configuring the Raspberry Pi for your WiFi (and that is not hard really).