1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo 3D Plus :: New Hot End vs E3D

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by RoboRage, Oct 29, 2015.

1. RoboRage

RoboRage New Member

Anyone know the difference between the latest hot end on the Robo 3D Plus and that of the E3D?

Since I don't have an earlier version of the Robo 3D, I have nothing to compare it to.

I don't have issues with my hot end, but may want to print hotter materials, like polycarbonate at some point, and would like to know if the new hot end is ready to go.

Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The hotend on the R1+ is still the hexagon, same as the R1

RoboRage likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Jimmy Husain and RoboRage like this.
  4. RoboRage

RoboRage New Member

Thanks!

5. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

One improvement that the R1+plus has compared to the R1+ is that the R1+ hex had a silicone boot. I absolutely hated this design and was really happy to see that they moved away from the boot in favor of bolting everything down like E3D does.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Lee

Lee Member

I have the R1+ and would like to have the ability to swap extruders between the stock 1.75mm and a 3mm. I have considerable amounts of both filaments (different colors). Is there an extruder that is a simple swap by removing the extruder and unplugging the 2 connectors? The E3D is a nice extruder but would involve too much work to swap these back and forth. I do not intend to do more than use PLA, ABS and Nylon. One thought was to get an extra 1.75 and drill it out. But I suspect that would not work.
    Thanks

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

http://www.reprapdiscount.com/hotends/67-hexagon-hotend-set.html they sell a 3mm version. You'd need to add in connectors for quick swap but that should be it.

Lee likes this.
  8. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@daniel871 maybe only the hobbed bolt, the extruder will work plenty fine with a 3.5 - 4 mm hole for filament instead of 2 mm. If you do drill it out to 4 mm, you could just stick a short piece of ptfe tubing in the hole when you want to switch from 3 mm to 1.75 mm filament.

10. Lee

Lee Member

Thank you guys for the replies and the info. So, it looks like I should get the Hexagon hot end that Mike pointed to and then add the connectors on (any idea where to get those). Then I would remove the old and install the new hot end. And if I wanted to go back to 1.75mm, I could just remove the 3mm and reinstall the 1.75mm.

Is that correct? My plan is to use either size for 3-4 days at a time before changing sizes. So, removing and replacing is no big deal.

If I did want to just leave the 3mm in place then I should try 1.75 and see if it takes 1.75 just fine or I might have to change the hobbed bolt (What is that?). And I would only need the piece of ptfe tubing if I were to drill one out.

This 3d printing is awesome and I am still trying to figure it out.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Nope. I think the design they used is actually the 3mm version. I think it would work for either.

The hobbed bolt might need replacing, but maybe not as well. seems like the groove is plenty big for 3mm

connectors are JST SM 2 pin: http://www.amazon.com/10Pairs-13cm-...ie=UTF8&qid=1448408271&sr=8-1&keywords=jst+sm

Lee likes this.